SaltCritters.com

Angler Away! - Wartskin Macro Tank

ccapasso

• Replies 931
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like the scape but I think it would be even better with a cave or arch in the middle and a ledge. ;)

+1, a peacock would prefer some caves.

Hmm...I could do a cave or arch. Although what you see is what I have left in dry rock so I'm stuck with using this unless I buy more, which currently I don't intend to do unless I have to.

I was hoping to keep the middle open, but could probably put a small cave or something. I'll play around with it more at lunch here in a few hours :).

+1, a peacock would prefer some caves.

Pfft...he can make some caves if he wants them...lazy Mantis :P

j/k.

I'll see what else I can come up with at lunch.

Islandoftiki

Yeah, definitely needs a cave, or an obvious place to make a cave. Yes, they will make a cave if they are not provided one, but I don't see enough room for a comfortable cave for a mantis that can get quite large.

I would try to build the scape with multiple levels of hiding places. You'll probably see it more active if it has caves and burrows to go between. Mine has at least three now. He dug a burrow under the rock for whatever reason the other day. Probably just for something to do. He's nearly as industrious as my pistol shrimp.

Grrrrr......lol....

...Rearranging scape now.... :P

Btw, according to Dr. Roy, the Peacock like to make long burrows so I guess I need to account for that.

Back to the drawing (scaping) board...

It looks good, just me though on one side I would raise the rock work even if its an inch or two so that you don't.necessarily have a.skyline/fruit stand look but have a peak to bring the attention away from center - coral placement will change a lot also

Yeah.. I tried to raise it, will have to mess around more. So much easier when glue is involved, lol.

That being said, sadly there will be no corals :(. I can't use lighting as it will cause the Peacock to develop shell rot and die.

However, if I was ever brave enough to do NPS corals, that would be an option...possibly.

Yeah. The Peacock Mantis lives in deep waters and is sensitive to light. As such, any high power lights like LEDs, T5, etc would cause it to develop shell rot (kind of like skin cancer I believe) and die.

There are other species of mantis that you can keep with coral and lights as they live in shallow water. But not the one I'm getting.

I thought long and hard about it and while I do like corals, the Peacock is so colorful it'll make up for the lack of corals.

That, and I have plenty of coral in my 55g at home :) (I just keep forgetting to update that thread).

I thought that your original scape was badass. I agree, the mantis will make his own damn cave.

BTW those mantis are incredible. I have been very interested ever since EZ got his.

Today is the day!

The tank is scheduled to arrive today. Hopefully everything is still on track and at this point according to FedEx it is.

Hooray!

How long did it take to mock up the maxi jet? You've obviously way more patience and talent than me with whatever rendering program that is

Here is the stand:

IMG_20120425_085554.jpg

IMG_20120425_085533.jpg

IMG_20120425_085516.jpg

Do I need to put anything under the tank before I set it on the stand? The tank is Acrylic but not rimless.

jedimasterben
Found these two types of sand at Petsmart. Thoughts on using?

img snip

img snip

My thought was to use either or both of these on the bottom with live sand (fine grade) on the top.

Saw that no one commented on this for you. I would get neither. A fine sand would be much preffered, crushed coral like that is simply a poop trap and can lead to high nitrate.

Plus, the fine sand you put on top of it will quickly find its way to the bottom.

Islandoftiki

I went with a medium-coarse substrate for my tank. Seems to work well for the mantis. He's always carrying around armloads of it, moving it here and there.

As far as detritus buildup in the sandbed, just put in a couple of nassarius snails. They spend 95% of their time buried in the sand and probably won't get eaten too often. You might have to replace a few, but that's the life of a mantis owner. They do an awesome job of stirring the sand bed.

Nice looking stand!

Thanks for the info. Do you happen to remember what the name/brand/etc was for the sand you used?

And yes, there will be nassarius snails! I love how they live in the sand and help stir it up.

Islandoftiki
Thanks for the info. Do you happen to remember what the name/brand/etc was for the sand you used?

I used Nature's Ocean Premium Marine Substrate, Medium-Coarse. Check out the pest tank thread if you want to see what it looks like. There are some good pictures.

Also, you can see Shadie messing around with the substrate here:

Archived