Cultivated Reef

I Pet my Octopus Daily

Criley7

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I realized you're one of very few people that can say "my octopus". Everybody else is like "my fish".

:bowdown:

He's a cutie playing with mag float. Throw in a rubix cube next.

Is that cyano on the rock or red dictoya?

Rubix cube....Too funny! You should do a vid where you throw one in, let him play with it, take it out, fix it and then show the world how smart he is. :lol:

Don't you like how the animal names are sprung on you without hesitation? On a side note wait until you see these zoanthids in person. You're going to ####. Also don't break down tank for that cyano. Just buy Chemi-clean.

I have Chemi clean I just wasn't sure if it was safe with the octopus.

Whats wrong with Suckerpie?! :angry:

For Cyano, nutrient reduction. Phosphate remover. More CPE or GFO.

I was thinking Dr. Octopus sounds a little more macho. (not much) lol

I really don't think I can do much else to reduce nutrients except increase water volume. That's not an option right now

Rubix cube....Too funny! You should do a vid where you throw one in, let him play with it, take it out, fix it and then show the world how smart he is. :lol:

:lol:

ooooh Dr Octopus, but this guy looks too cute to be a villain. Unless you're a crawfish I guess.

Suckerpie! lol.

You almost have to put a jar with food in there and video him opening it.

PM Ray Whisperer for cyano help with an Octopus. He used to have a blue ring.

ooooh Dr Octopus, but this guy looks too cute to be a villain. Unless you're a crawfish I guess.

Suckerpie! lol.

You almost have to put a jar with food in there and video him opening it.

PM Ray Whisperer for cyano help with an Octopus. He used to have a blue ring.

Thanks for the advice I will pm him for sure. That's my next plan. I'm going to put a fiddler in a mason jar and take a video of him opening it soon.

I read in the book Cephalopods in the Marine Aquarium that octopuses can sometimes learn to take off the inside mag float and cause the outside one to clatter on the floor, creating a noise and causing the aquarist to come running.

lol. My cat knows that when he drops my phone to the floor, it is guaranteed that I will wake up. He leaves that as a last resort when banging on the floor length mirror or the waste basket doesn't work.

I read in the book Cephalopods in the Marine Aquarium that octopuses can sometimes learn to take off the inside mag float and cause the outside one to clatter on the floor, creating a noise and causing the aquarist to come running.

Yea this happens often now. I come home everyday to find the mag float dry side on the floor. I pretty sure he does it so I feed him.

Yea this happens often now. I come home everyday to find the mag float dry side on the floor. I pretty sure he does it so I feed him.

The best part is I keep my water line a few inches from the top of the tank. I keep the mag float out of the water attached the glass. Its amazing how fast he learned that's where I keep it, after it became his toy. Now I leave it at different ends of the tank for him to find.

And so it begins. Ceph trains master to perform feeding behavior.

Could it be?

BTW I'm starting a 2.2L/.6g rimless cube. Any pointers for keeping it clean and running?

I think you should teach him some parlor tricks. Hook up a bell to a thick rope/string and try to get him to associate pulling on it with food. It would be pretty cool to see how quickly the octopus can pick up on it. You've got an extremely smart animal, you might as well get some laughs from friends with it.

The color transformation when his feeding response is triggered is just incredible!

Yea it amazes me everytime I feed him.

I think you should teach him some parlor tricks. Hook up a bell to a thick rope/string and try to get him to associate pulling on it with food. It would be pretty cool to see how quickly the octopus can pick up on it. You've got an extremely smart animal, you might as well get some laughs from friends with it.

Yea that's a good Idea too. I'll give that a try. I'll try to get video of it all.

Cutie tank. Keeping it clean depends on what goes in it, bio load, feeding load and all that jazz.

What do you have planned for filtration?

I am going to use an AC20 with inTank media basket. I plan on having no fish just an invert or 2. Also extremely minimum feeding if at all.

Archived