inTank Media Baskets

NanoTopia's ZEOvit 80L [ ]

NanoTopia

March 12 2013 - One month's top growth comparison for the Cali A.Tortousa. Colour is better as well.

8553926064_17e3dd327c.jpg
April 11 2013
8642130136_6291eacc8c.jpg
July 11 2012 - This Acan Lord has shown steady growth in the last 8 months.
8642205886_aae7d4f49d.jpg
March 27 2013

8642209058_2e720bc0d7.jpg

One of the most rewarding things about this hobby is watching things grow :)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kfmmartin19

Hey I meant to ask u this before but what do u think of the TV stunner? Think it helps any with coloration/growth? Would u recommend a stunner or panorama pro for TV? Thanks!

Tank is beautiful but you have an enormous amount of hardware on it!

Thanks Mstefa, I know the hardware is overkill but I like gizmos :)

Nice growth! I love looking back at old pics as well, I forget how small things were.

Thank you Chad, you are so right, I am glad I took pictures from the beginning :)

Hey I meant to ask u this before but what do u think of the TV stunner? Think it helps any with coloration/growth? Would u recommend a stunner or panorama pro for TV? Thanks!

Due to the spectrum you can't really see the 403nm TV in the day, it is supposed to pack a punch but I really can't tell if it's doing anything for growth. I do like it at night however. I use it for moonlight as well, wish I could get a photo of that to show people but the camera doesn't pick it up well.

Kfmmartin19
Due to the spectrum you can't really see the 403nm TV in the day, it is supposed to pack a punch but I really can't tell if it's doing anything for growth. I do like it at night however. I use it for moonlight as well, wish I could get a photo of that to show people but the camera doesn't pick it up well.
I know that the violet is barely visible to the human eye. I heard it was supposed to help color up corals nicely tho. Have u always had it on this tank and if not u think coral color got better with the addition of it?

Sounds like a cool moonlight.

I know that the violet is barely visible to the human eye. I heard it was supposed to help color up corals nicely tho. Have u always had it on this tank and if not u think coral color got better with the addition of it? Sounds like a cool moonlight.

I put it on about a year ago, can't say I have noticed a colour change since adding it, other than aesthetics at night. TV is quite strong, you have to be careful to acclimate corals to it. May have not been a big deal in my case since it is only 6 watts but I have heard of people bleaching their corals when implementing it. If anything, based on recent studies, it may benefit growth to some degree. It does make a cool moon light, I often wonder if it may be too strong for that application.

If I'm late for this - sorry I've been traveling all day.

Congrats!!

https://twitter.com/MarineDepot/status/322861766008791041

Your never late Tibbsy, that's cool thanks :)

Kfmmartin19
I put it on about a year ago, can't say I have noticed a colour change since adding it, other than aesthetics at night. TV is quite strong, you have to be careful to acclimate corals to it. May have not been a big deal in my case since it is only 6 watts but I have heard of people bleaching their corals when implementing it. If anything, based on recent studies, it may benefit growth to some degree. It does make a cool noon light, I often wonder if it may be too strong.

Your never late Tibbsy, that's cool thanks :)

Fair enough. Clearly something is working for u! :)

8642205886_aae7d4f49d.jpg

March 27 2013

8642209058_2e720bc0d7.jpg

One of the most rewarding things about this hobby is watching things grow :)

its impressive growth nanotopia .. Do you have special treatment for that acan ?additive, food, etc ?

its impressive growth nanotopia .. Do you have special treatment for that acan ?additive, food, etc ?

Thanks lilopop, I target feed frozen mysis shrimp or frozen clam twice a week. The Acan is probably benefiting from the Zeovit additives I dose as well, including AALPS and Coral Vitalizer. It's been a good grower for me and I attribute the growth mainly to target feeding.

Everything looks so plump and healthy! :wub:

Thanks Jordon, the Acan has feeders out most of the day, hungry coral. I think the more you feed the more hungry they become. :naughtydance:

Thanks Jordon, the Acan has feeders out most of the day, hungry coral. I think the more you feed the more hungry they become. :naughtydance:

Do you feed any sorts of organics, or mostly actual foods?

Do you feed any sorts of organics, or mostly actual foods?

Im feeding Reef Nutrition Frozen Clams to the Acan and shrimp once and a while along with Frozen mysis shrimp, phytoplankton, and what ever they pick up Zeovit wise, Coral Vitalizer, AALPS, AAHC, Sponge Power, and my special treat...Reef Nutrition Oyster Eggs, Yum-Yum

Variety is the key, keep them guessing :lol:

I just keeps getting better! I think i'm going to have to read through all this thread again and make a shopping list :P

Man those acans are huge! I cant wait until mine get big and beautiful like that

I like big cans too. ;) Can't wait for bikini weather. lol

Tank is beautiful but you have an enormous amount of hardware on it!

I'm actually intimidated by all the technology in this build. I do understand the basic concepts of what they're for and why you need them but I don't think I'll ever have the patience to do even a fraction of what you did. Even a simple sump scares me. And don't worry about me copying your program. I can't do any of that even if my life depended on it. :lol:

I'm actually intimidated by all the technology in this build. I do understand the basic concepts of what they're for and why you need them but I don't think I'll ever have the patience to do even a fraction of what you did. Even a simple sump scares me. And don't worry about me copying your program. I can't do any of that even if my life depended on it. :lol:

What I've found with technology (even sumps) is you basically pour time and money into it up front and it pays long term dividends in lower maintenance and time required later. Like dosing pumps, you can hand dose every night, or you can refill a container once a month. I'm still hand dosing, I need to cough up the money and buy a dosing setup my self, :lol:

What I've found with technology (even sumps) is you basically pour time and money into it up front and it pays long term dividends in lower maintenance and time required later. Like dosing pumps, you can hand dose every night, or you can refill a container once a month. I'm still hand dosing, I need to cough up the money and buy a dosing setup my self, :lol:

OK, you got me, Veng. I'm a cheapskate, so I dose and top off manually. :lol: Ol' nano-borg tank also can't handle any more things hanging, dangling and going in and/or out from it. Since I'm home most of the time, I don't mind doing things manually. But perhaps in my next build I'll at least have an ATO. But your sump is brilliant. :)

Seriously though, one of the hobbyists over here lost almost everything when a crack developed on the drilled part of the glass where the bulkhead was. Not to mention the flooded floor which thankfully did not reach any electrical outlets (it was a 75-gallon tank, I believe). I was already leery of sumps then and what happened to him confirmed my decision not to have one. I know it was just an accident and thousands of reefers have sumps without issues, but well, not for me. Not anytime soon, at least. I'm going AIO. If I do have one it sure as heck won't look as good as Christine's. :)

OK, you got me, Veng. I'm a cheapskate, so I dose and top off manually. :lol: Ol' nano-borg tank also can't handle any more things hanging, dangling and going in and/or out from it. Since I'm home most of the time, I don't mind doing things manually. But perhaps in my next build I'll at least have an ATO. But your sump is brilliant. :)

Seriously though, one of the hobbyists over here lost almost everything when a crack developed on the drilled part of the glass where the bulkhead was. Not to mention the flooded floor which thankfully did not reach any electrical outlets (it was a 75-gallon tank, I believe). I was already leery of sumps then and what happened to him confirmed my decision not to have one. I know it was just an accident and thousands of reefers have sumps without issues, but well, not for me. Not anytime soon, at least. I'm going AIO. If I do have one it sure as heck won't look as good as Christine's. :)

Nothing wrong with reefing on the cheaper side of things. If I stayed home all day, I would be willing to do a lot more things manually than I do now. I manually topped off my 10G for a year before I built this with the ATO. I was never dedicated enough to do it daily though, which is one of the reasons I went down that path.

AIOs are great. However, I'd feel to constrained to do one. I actually bought a 14G biocube and sold it a couple days later because I couldn't handle feeling constrained. :lol: My dream setup will have a sump room so I'd have enough space to do anything and everything instead of being constrained under the cabinet.

Archived