inTank Media Baskets

NanoTopia's ZEOvit 80L [ ]

NanoTopia

NanoTopia...did u see the pic of the Hoeven's? Not as aggressive and better looking than 6 line IMO.

P.S. You are winning TOTM whether u want to or not ;)

Yes I did have a look and thank you for posting, this is a fine looking wrasse but rated for 50+ gallons. One wrasse that I have found that is okay in smaller aquaria is the Tanaka's Pygmy Wrasse (Wetmorella tanakai) Not sure if he is a effective flat worm eater but he is rated for 10 gallons and looks quite stunning I think. Not sure if I could find one up here in Canada however.

Thanks for your sentiments on the TOTM :)

I'm not a huge fan of SPS but this tank is kinda hot. :)

Thanks Lalani, it's cooled off a bit since the awesome discovery of AEFW's. But it should be steaming hot again in no time. Thanks for stopping in :)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes I did have a look and thank you for posting, this is a fine looking wrasse but rated for 50+ gallons. One wrasse that I have found that is okay in smaller aquaria is the Tanaka's Pygmy Wrasse (Wetmorella tanakai) Not sure if he is a effective flat worm eater but he is rated for 10 gallons and looks quite stunning I think. Not sure if I could find one up here in Canada however.

Thanks for your sentiments on the TOTM :)

Thanks Lalani, it's cooled off a bit since the awesome discovery of AEFW's. But it should be steaming hot again in no time. Thanks for stopping in :)

That Tanaka is very nice indeed and quite shy I believe. Maria had one but I think it either jumped or something else happened to it, I can't remember, it was a while ago but it IS a cool fish for sure

Nanotopia, your tank looks great. Nice job with the SPS colors.

I've been keeping SPS for the last 15 years and became aware of AEFW's in 2005. At first I went crazy dipping every coral in Tropic Marin pro cure, strong iodine dips, peroxide, and a bunch of other stuff that i can't remember. I ended up killing more corals than the worms would have ever killed. I had worms in my last solana and dipped all my corals a few times. I didn't see anymore worms after the second dip so I though I had them beat.....they came back. I didn't feel like tearing the tank apart again so i let "nature" run its course. The tank grew beautifully with the worms.

My point is that if it becomes a PITA to eradicate them don't go crazy. An occasional blowing from a turkey baster, and a dip if the damage is apparent. Your corals will still grow and keep color.

Forgive me if some of this has been covered in your thread. I drank a little too much and just check out all the pretty pictures :D

You have probably read this article but if not here is the link

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%...al.pone.0042240

It has now been identified and found in the wild ...

The article has many many links to other articles

I've been keeping SPS for the last 15 years and became aware of AEFW's in 2005. At first I went crazy dipping every coral in Tropic Marin pro cure, strong iodine dips, peroxide, and a bunch of other stuff that i can't remember. I ended up killing more corals than the worms would have ever killed. I had worms in my last solana and dipped all my corals a few times. I didn't see anymore worms after the second dip so I though I had them beat.....they came back. I didn't feel like tearing the tank apart again so i let "nature" run its course. The tank grew beautifully with the worms.

My point is that if it becomes a PITA to eradicate them don't go crazy. An occasional blowing from a turkey baster, and a dip if the damage is apparent. Your corals will still grow and keep color.

Forgive me if some of this has been covered in your thread. I drank a little too much and just check out all the pretty pictures :D

Thanks for visiting, I do agree that over dipping can do more harm than good, I'm sticking to Revive for now, once a week. Seems to be giving positive results thus far, but this is a long road so I need not speak too soon. I do refuse to let my tank drive me crazy as I look to it to keep me sane, haha.

I think what has been discovered over time is that if dipping corals, you need not use a product that is that stressful on the corals, the AEFW's seem to fall off with Revive and the coral is not overly stressed and keeps most of it's colour.

The turkey baster is my best friend now, we have developed a unique relationship, :lol:

Again, thanks for stoping by :)

Christine

You have probably read this article but if not here is the link

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%...al.pone.0042240

It has now been identified and found in the wild ...

The article has many many links to other articles

Awesome Albert, thought this article was for purchase only, I read the Abstract before, now I'm going to read the body tonight. :):)

Deleted User 4

+1 Christine, you need to take it easy.

Thanks for visiting, I do agree that over dipping can do more harm than good, I'm sticking to Revive for now, once a week. Seems to be giving positive results thus far, but this is a long road so I need not speak too soon. I do refuse to let my tank drive me crazy as I look to it to keep me sane, haha.

I think what has been discovered over time is that if dipping corals, you need not use a product that is that stressful on the corals, the AEFW's seem to fall off with Revive and the coral is not overly stressed and keeps most of it's colour.

The turkey baster is my best friend now, we have developed a unique relationship, :lol:

Again, thanks for stoping by :)

Christine

Awesome Albert, thought this article was for purchase only, I read the Abstract before, now I'm going to read the body tonight. :):)

You are welcome. I posted it to my thread as well

You are welcome. I posted it to my thread as well

Christine :

From this link you can DL a 1.7 MB article on AEFW - the flatworm Amakusaplana acroporae

http://www.springerlink.com/content/b78j5254rw683150/

And a shorter article in :

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/201.../02/3557563.htm

+

http://phys.org/news/2012-08-elusive-coral...dator-wild.html

+ a quote:

As Amakusaplana acroporae is quite small, cryptic and possesses excellent camouflage against its acroporid coral host, this species is easy to overlook and thus far, their corallivory in the wild has probably been attributed to another species or even coral disease [30].

Moreover, until now this species has been unknown to marine ecologists, hampering any potential to learn about its role in coral health. Although Sweet et al. [31] reported that previous studies had found A. acroporae (or AEFW, as it would have been known at the time) in Indonesia and the Red Sea (citing [32]–[34]), Haapkylä et al. [33] actually refer to the acoel worm from the genus Waminoa which is a known coral-associate [35], and the other two studies do not mention flatworms.

Although it is highly likely that the distribution of A. acroporae mirrors that of its Acropora species prey, and it could therefore be found in Indonesia and the Red Sea, visual surveying methods alone would probably not be sufficient to see A. acroporae in situ (Stella pers obs), although bite marks in the coral tissue and egg capsules on the bare coral skeleton might be visible on a heavily infested colony.

As A. acroporae has been found in association with other Indo-Pacific Acropora species in aquaria (A. pulchra, A. millepora, A. tortuosa, A. nana, A. tenuis, A. formosa, A. echinata and A. yongei [7]), it is possible these species would be suitable natural hosts as well and might serve as a logical basis for learning more about these animals under natural conditions.

A.

Albert, chill the #### out bro, no offence but you are really going ott here.

NanoTopia has an incredibly challenging problem to deal with. And, with her background, she will no doubt appreciate Albert's efforts: especially when he is directing her to scientific articles.

How about you take a step back, and let NanoTopia decide what is (or isn't) appropriate for her build thread?

Meh I'll see if Christine is pissed and get rid of my comment if she is, I meant what I said. Though for the record I am not suggesting Albert shouldn't post and try help everyone which he does well. Just that it seemed like way to much in this instance.

WOW, please everyone, Albert has taken his time to seek out and share information regarding my current issues. He cares enough about this hobby that he is willing to go the extra mile for me and everyone on Nano Reef. Lets be respectful and welcome knowledge and experiences from all.

I welcome any information from any member on Nano Reef regardless of experience level. I am a nurse, I have studied in the medical field where you could never learn all there is to learn in a lifetime. The more we know and understand about AEFW and anything else reef related, the more responsible and successful reef keepers we will be.

Mr Albert Thiel, as you know and have expressed in the past, I am extremely grateful for all your efforts here, and may I add... honoured.

Thank you everyone for caring so much, this is only Acropora Eating Flat Worms, not the end of the world. I will keep you posted on the progress I make and any discoveries made in the process of eradicating this pest.

Regards,

Christine

Last night, maybe 5 minute after lights out, I notice this on my glass. NO not AEFW on steroids, rather a 1 inch (2.5cm) Pericelis sp. flat worm moving along at a good pace I may add. I removed him immediately from the tank and took this picture: (sorry pic is not the best quality)

PericelisspPolyclad.jpg

PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS NOT A PICTURE OF AEFW

WOW, please everyone, Albert has taken his time to seek out and share information regarding my current issues. He cares enough about this hobby that he is willing to go the extra mile for me and everyone on Nano Reef. Lets be respectful and welcome knowledge and experiences from all.

I welcome any information from any member on Nano Reef regardless of experience level. I am a nurse, I have studied in the medical field where you could never learn all there is to learn in a lifetime. The more we know and understand about AEFW and anything else reef related, the more responsible and successful reef keepers we will be.

Mr Albert Thiel, as you know and have expressed in the past, I am extremely grateful for all your efforts here, and may I add... honoured.

Thank you everyone for caring so much, this is only Acropora Eating Flat Worms, not the end of the world. I will keep you posted on the progress I make and any discoveries made in the process of eradicating this pest.

Regards,

Christine

Thank you for the kind words. They are appreciated. As my avatar says "Helping others succeed ... when I can", that is what I try to do ... and hopefully some who read my main thread do benefit from what I post there.

Thank you Christine and if I find anything else on AEFW I will of course post it. Indeed the more we read, the more we know, and there is so much to learn that there is no end to it ever as like you indicated there is always more that we do not know yet or did not even suspect that it existed.

I am sure you'll get your problem under control Christine.

Last night, maybe 5 minute after lights out, I notice this on my glass. NO not AEFW on steroids, rather a 1 inch (2.5cm) Pericelis sp. flat worm moving along at a good pace I may add. I removed him immediately from the tank and took this picture: (sorry pic is not the best quality)

PericelisspPolyclad.jpg

PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS NOT A PICTURE OF AEFW

Wow, how interesting. Have you had any snail deaths? At first glance I thought it was a Fleshy Limpet:

003jpg.jpg

Wow, how interesting. Have you had any snail deaths? At first glance I thought it was a Fleshy Limpet:

Pretty sure a worm, never saw him in 13 months, then last night there he was smack in the middle of my glass. I have not had any snail deaths that I can note although I do have quite a population of small snails that have grown in numbers over time, he may very well have been feeding on those. Strangely pulled another one, much smaller off the glass this morning, that makes to in basically one day, and never seen these guys in 13 months. Makes you wonder what's living in our reefs we have no idea are there. :)

003jpg.jpg

Really cool critter. If it is a Fleshy Limpet that would be even better :)

My nano LR is over 14 years old (came from a previous tank), so I know pretty much what's living in/on it. But every couple months or so something shows up that still surprises me.

Good luck with the AEFW eradication. I just added (2) new Acros and I am watching them closely.

003jpg.jpg

Looks like a Limpet indeed similar to what Kat has ...

All, just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting that it is a limpet. I don't see the visible snail-like mouth for one thing. Could be I guess... Just thought the similarity was striking - I hadn't heard of Pericelis until today. Convergent evolution FTW. :)

Edit: This top-down of a Lucapnia sp limpet from WWM is even more striking for its similarity:

Invert_001[1]%20limpet.jpg

Christine, that looks a lot like my fleshy limpet. Doe si have a hard shell on the top?
Really cool critter. If it is a Fleshy Limpet that would be even better :)

My nano LR is over 14 years old (came from a previous tank), so I know pretty much what's living in/on it. But every couple months or so something shows up that still surprises me.

Good luck with the AEFW eradication. I just added (2) new Acros and I am watching them closely.

Looks like a Limpet indeed similar to what Kat has ...
All, just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting that it is a limpet. I don't see the visible snail-like mouth for one thing. Could be I guess... Just thought the similarity was striking - I hadn't heard of Pericelis until today. Convergent evolution FTW. :)

Edit: This top-down of a Lucapnia sp limpet from WWM is even more striking for its similarity:

Invert_001[1]%20limpet.jpg

No hard shell, no radula of a gastropod. I did ID this polyclad from a great site as Pericelis sp.. This was the closest I could find.

Dipping for AEFW's Update:

Just a note here, when corals are already stressed out from the infection of AEFW's they are more susceptible to RTN or tissue loss. Below is an example of some tissue loss that seemed to occur just after the corals third dip yesterday. In some cases repeated dipping of stressed corals leads to STN/RTN and could possibly push a coral over the edge and kill it. This A.millepora should not die as a result of the last dip, however I will ease off on dipping this coral until it shows some tissue improvement.

Second picture shows new tissue loss as a result of dipping, not AEFW's directly. No eggs found and no AEFW were discovered on the third dip.

After first dip, September 18 2012

Sept%2018%202012%20Millepora_zps4eb2c033.jpg

After third dip, October 1 2012. Note new areas of tissue loss while some areas show some recovery.

Oct22012Millepora.jpg

Forgive me if I missed it but how long are you dipping it in the Revive.

I managed to get rid of them before using Revive. I removed the corals and placed them in buckets of salt water with same specs as the tank but with a fairly strong dose of Revive (greater than recommended, think I have it listed in my old 40 breeder thread). I kept them in the bucket for about 45 minutes in the revive mixed water with a power head circulating and to help blow off any worms. I had to scrape away the eggs as well. I repeated the treatment twice more over two weeks. Never had them come back again. It stresses the coral a bit but they eventually recover.

Archived