inTank Media Baskets

NanoTopia's ZEOvit 80L [ ]

NanoTopia

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Made a few changes in the tank, here's the latest FTS. Tank is now a year old.

7890839166_5a458c1c7b_z.jpg

Wow! Simply gorgeous! I honestly didn't think it could possibly get better. You've outdone yourself.

Question about the bio pellets. That is basically another form of carbon dosing, isn't it? The effects are similar to VSV?

Nice!

Thank you chrssprings, it's an honour :)

Some of the tips are coloring up, some are not. The coral itself is happy as hell, go figure.

My photoperiod is now 13 hours.

Well I hope they fully recover soon. Testing for potassium is difficult, the readings are hard to decipher, yet still I think it is worth testing for. Any idea what your concentration was when the tips burnt, this would be valuable information as I have never been able to get any numbers from my research.

Actinics come on at 9am

LED's come on at 10

T5's come on at 11

LED's shut off at 7

T5s shut off at 8

Actinics shut off at 10

I think your ramp up with 8 hours full intensity is fine, just watch your corals, they need time to adjust to longer photo periods.

Wow! Simply gorgeous! I honestly didn't think it could possibly get better. You've outdone yourself.

Question about the bio pellets. That is basically another form of carbon dosing, isn't it? The effects are similar to VSV?

Thank you Shelley, to be honest I am a bit disappointed with the overall tank. My decision to remove most of the LPS worked out well but I should have done it sooner. I still have a couple of LPS in the tank but now I can focus on the SPS more specifically.

To answer your question, yes, bio pellets are what's considered solid carbon dosing. The carbon source is confined to a reactor where the bacteria stay feeding off it. The biggest bonus is it's low maintenance, I service it once every 6 months, this is mainly to replace the pellets. No daily liquid dosing needed. The draw back is it can be so effective at removing NO3/PO4 that you can starve your corals virtually over night unknowingly. A good sign of that is going to bed with a stunningly colourful tank and waking up to white corals. I strongly suggest a recirculating reactor for bio pellets, this way you have control of the output from the reactor into the tank. I made mine but you can get them ready made recirculating reactors Most reactors do not allow this, and unless you manage your bio pellet volume correctly, you will crash you tank.

Thanks, Christine. That reactor (or a DIY mod) is now on my list.

You're such a perfectionist that I can understand why you're not completely pleased with your system. I suspect you'll always find something to fix, change, or improve. That's an admirable quality, but hopefully the feedback you're getting tells you that you are doing exceptionally well. :)

I'm personally finding it a real challenge to keep SPS and LPS in the same system. I find that it is a very delicate balance: depending on what is being kept. You seem to do it very well, though.

Looks beautiful Nano.

Are you running the MP10 at 100% in addition to the tunze? That seems like a ton of flow. 100% in my tank causes a mini-sand storm!

Thanks, Christine. That reactor (or a DIY mod) is now on my list.

You're such a perfectionist that I can understand why you're not completely pleased with your system. I suspect you'll always find something to fix, change, or improve. That's an admirable quality, but hopefully the feedback you're getting tells you that you are doing exceptionally well. :)

I'm personally finding it a real challenge to keep SPS and LPS in the same system. I find that it is a very delicate balance: depending on what is being kept. You seem to do it very well, though.

Shelley you are too kind and right about me being a perfectionist. I do realize that coral has a mind of it's own, no matter how much effort you put into reefkeeping mother nature will still have her way. SPS and LPS do have different requirements, it's easier to focus on one or the other. I do have to check in on your tank(s), it has been awhile.

Looks beautiful Nano.

Are you running the MP10 at 100% in addition to the tunze? That seems like a ton of flow. 100% in my tank causes a mini-sand storm!

I am running the MP10 at about 75% on average along with the Tunze 6025. I have a course aragonite substrate so it barely moves at all. I try to maximize the flow, it's good for the corals and keeps the detritus from settling.

I am running the MP10 at about 75% on average along with the Tunze 6025. I have a course aragonite substrate so it barely moves at all. I try to maximize the flow, it's good for the corals and keeps the detritus from settling.

ive been thinking about running a small tunze too for the same reasons

Shelley you are too kind and right about me being a perfectionist. I do realize that coral has a mind of it's own, no matter how much effort you put into reefkeeping mother nature will still have her way. SPS and LPS do have different requirements, it's easier to focus on one or the other. I do have to check in on your tank(s), it has been awhile.

I haven't updated in a while. There's nothing to see. I am starting a build for a contest on another forum though: recucling my NC12 for high flow SPS system (doing Martin's LEDs and everything!). I just can't strike the right balance in the 40b, and the SPS I have arern't all that demanding. I'll "reboot" the NC12 thread when I start.

I haven't updated in a while. There's nothing to see. I am starting a build for a contest on another forum though: recucling my NC12 for high flow SPS system (doing Martin's LEDs and everything!). I just can't strike the right balance in the 40b, and the SPS I have arern't all that demanding. I'll "reboot" the NC12 thread when I start.

I need to check it out today, sounds exciting.

• 2 weeks later...
Great looking FTS! Your sandbed is so nice and clean :happy:

Thanks, Just added some new aragonite on top, fastest way to clean your sand bed, LOL.

Ha! Nice... That fts looks great, what camera are you using?

Thank you mpsti05, I am using a Nikon D3000, Basic DSLR but it does the job.

Beautiful...

Thank you Rehype, your reef inspires me.

Stunning!

Thank you Spirofucci :)

Amazing!

Thanks Jessy-Ray, how's the Aussie reef doing? Need to stop in and check out your thread :P

Wow, very nice.

Thank you ballhog :)

I love the new scape! Congrats on hitting the year mark! Now it's your turn for TOTM

Criley, thanks for the kind complements, winning TOTM has never been a consideration for me, and to be frank, I have no desire to win such an accolade. I am here to share ideas with others and learn from the 100's of years combined experience this site has to offer. To share my tanks and ideas with others like you is all the accolade I need :) .

Awesomeness! Why tease us with one photo? You should take all 3 side. Everything looking healthy!
^THIS!!!!

haha, and show you the dead sides of the acro's...never ! :P

I'll post some more pics soon, all sides including one from the bottom up, maybe not.

Thank you ballhog :)

Criley, thanks for the kind complements, winning TOTM has never been a consideration for me, and to be frank, I have no desire to win such an accolade. I am here to share ideas with others and learn from the 100's of years combined experience this site has to offer. To share my tanks and ideas with others like you is all the accolade I need :) .

Modest much? lol Looking forward to all pictures!

Archived