Coral Vue Hydros

•••JR's Aquatica Oasis•••

JR!

Great new additions....are these from the seller you linked me to on EBay? Just curious since I may pull the trigger on some but it's always good to see how they turn out in reality.

Sounds like it may be time to go dark for a few days....I'm sure you'll kick the dinos in no time!!

yep thats the guy. he's the best seller that i have ever worked with. i ended up losing the auctions on the rics but he offered me other ones since all i won was the palys. he ever held all the coral till a better time for me.

www.reefcleaners.org

Get a small CUC.

Then, either shorten the time the lights are on, or go dark for a few days. If you can control the lights separately, I found that if I just kept my actinic lights on, and others off, it cleared up quick.

P.S. Nice new frags from reef_pets.

P.S. #2. Any growth/updated pics of the frags from me ?

thanks chris im going to try that stuff. i think im due for an update on the cuc anyways. its pretty small for the tank

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey JR,

An extremely accomplished reefer helped me battle Dino's once

*use your calibrated refracto to bring SG to 1.026

*keep pH stable and high like 8.4, kalkwasser can help you do this.

reducing your photo period and siphoning as much out as you can will help too. This way you don't have to go for a full black out.

Frags look good man, ebay still scares me, I've been burned one too many times.

Glad to hear it and thank for letting me know he's a standup guy. You never know with some of the peeps on EBay.

yea i was really turned off by ebay but a friend had ordered from him before so i kinda knew what was going on with the seller

Hey JR,

An extremely accomplished reefer helped me battle Dino's once

*use your calibrated refracto to bring SG to 1.026

*keep pH stable and high like 8.4, kalkwasser can help you do this.

reducing your photo period and siphoning as much out as you can will help too. This way you don't have to go for a full black out.

Frags look good man, ebay still scares me, I've been burned one too many times.

thanks man. im gonna just run a short cycle of just the blue bulbs.

so when i was looking into running a bio pellet reactor i saw that it can make things worse? i think im going to up the gph on the return pump too as well im going to add another powerhead to get rid of the dead spots behing the main rock.

Dino's respond higher pH due to a reduction of available carbon dioxide. The easiest way to do this is to raise pH while keeping your alk constant. You are trying to kill them, not make them go away for a while.

I guess biopellets might make it worse, another active carbon source in the loop might make the bloom last longer since they aren't associated with normal N03 or P04 problems.

Read this.

Dino's respond higher pH due to a reduction of available carbon dioxide. The easiest way to do this is to raise pH while keeping your alk constant. You are trying to kill them, not make them go away for a while.

I guess biopellets might make it worse, another active carbon source in the loop might make the bloom last longer since they aren't associated with normal N03 or P04 problems.

Read this.

thanks again. gonna read that over really well and see what i can do.

well the dinoflagellates are worse today.....awesome. think im gonna have to tear the tank apart and reef in the old 7.5 for a while.

well the dinoflagellates are worse today.....awesome. think im gonna have to tear the tank apart and reef in the old 7.5 for a while.

Don't give up yet. Give it some more time. You can win!

Negative!

Try the following:

• Run to the store and pick up a turbo snail or 2.
  • Siphon off as much of them as you can when doing a water change.
  • Go Dark.

It will take some time, but this should kill them off.

Just siphon them off the sand, reduce your light cycle to 4 hours a day, and go buy a pH buffer and keep your pH at 8.4 for a week. Taking the sand out isn't going to get rid of them, its just going to make them settle onto your rocks that much faster.

I posted links to two good articles on Dinos to my thread

It is probably on the page before last .. one is by Randy Holmes-Farley and the other one by Eric Borneman.

You may want to read those as they do give you a lot of information

I wouldn't toss in the towel and go through all of the work of removing the sand bed, transferring tanks, etc. I'd give the siphon, reduce light, up pH, siphon method before resorting to something more drastic (and time/labor intensive).

Keep us posted.

Yea, dont jump. Skim really wet, like have to dump the cup every day or two. Do a water change and then turn the lights off for 2-3 days. I think you have a Vortech as well, if possible turn it up.

-D

well i have the dinos on the run hXUdR.gif

but the mili is pretty much fully bleached V6osq.gif

o well. if thats all i lose during this setback then i guess im doing good.

lookin good here man. I like the new ride as well, I'm a subaru guy but I have a buddy that has an rsx type s and it is an awesome car. With a little tuning and some part upgrades it can get down lol.

Archived