Coral Vue Hydros

•••JR's Aquatica Oasis•••

JR!

That fixture hanging over your tank looks amazing! Thank you for taking the pics!!

It came with the cables, right? I was going to order the 20k bulb, too. How would you say it compares to other 20k bulbs in color?

Yep came with the hanging kit. As for the 20k I still haven't used it. I bought the whole set up and the guy had a xm 20k so that's what I'm using

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

gotya. I used an xm20k on an electronic ballast years ago and was pleased with the color. I think it would be cool to mount some royal blue LED's somewhere on the pendant to be able to adjust the color if you wanted to run, say, a 14k bulb. I bet the fixture gets pretty warm, though...which might shorten the lifespan of the LED's?

gotya. I used an xm20k on an electronic ballast years ago and was pleased with the color. I think it would be cool to mount some royal blue LED's somewhere on the pendant to be able to adjust the color if you wanted to run, say, a 14k bulb. I bet the fixture gets pretty warm, though...which might shorten the lifespan of the LED's?

Not as warm as I thought. I think you could do that. I was gonna do something like that for moon lights

Random question for you:

How low do you let your water get in the back?

I've been messing around with the AVAST ATO and am trying to keep it pushed as far down as possible. However doing this seems to make the water level in the back pretty low and I end up hearing what I like to call the river effect (water flowing over the overflow and making noise).

How noisy is yours currently?

Zero noise at all and I run the water pretty low in the back in 3 of the 4 chambers. I raised the water in the Skimmer chamber though. Ill take some pics when I get home.

Zero noise at all and I run the water pretty low in the back in 3 of the 4 chambers. I raised the water in the Skimmer chamber though. Ill take some pics when I get home.

Interesting. How exactly do you run it low in the back 3 and 4 but raised in the first?

6991587010_a0d3b00a14_c.jpg

jbj surface skimmer controls the water level in the display

7137668195_bc812b896e_c.jpg

cut a piece of acrylic that is the same size of the original baffle that i can slide up and down to control the level in the skimmer and heater chamber

7137668255_5e5db74644_c.jpg

thats the overflow into the last chamber. i can make another sliding baffle to do the same thing.

7137668383_a29b4af883_c.jpg

thats the return chamber. controlled by the ato.

for you chris

Awesome write up jr! It is may can we get a fts! Lol

It has been a while since I had an updated fts. Ill do that today when I get home from work

Thanks for the info. Makes sense, but not quite sure what I could do to lower the level in the last (return) chamber.

Don't get me wrong, it isn't noisy per say, just the sound of water trickling. Maybe I'll try a test this weekend and turn the ATO off and see where we are when I come back Monday.

o and a really crappy fts just before the lights when off.

7140867615_7b3c826222_c.jpg

cyano/hair algae and the nano mag in the way in all. lol

I love your scape! I want this tank!

thanks man!! i love it too :D

here is the trench if you will

7140921131_6fb6e16557_b.jpg

cant wait for the gps to take over the island.

just want it on the small island. no where else is it going. ive seen to many tanks that have been taken over

jedimasterben
7140567587_16877d8c01_b.jpg

just found these in sump area :huh:

I've got the same kinds things going on, I think. Mine look like isopods, but they don't seem to move anywhere. Fish seem to love them, though.

Are you talking about the white bulbous things?

If so I think that they are small tunicates or maybe sea squirts. :)

Creepy looking!

no doubt. i think im gonna leave them. they are good for the water apparently. lol

added some chaeto today. still not to sure what i want to use as a fuge light though

no doubt. i think im gonna leave them. they are good for the water apparently. lol

added some chaeto today. still not to sure what i want to use as a fuge light though

I'll try to snap a pic of this huge one I have on a frag plug.

In case you are interested - Saltycritters got in new stuff:

New fish in this week 5/03/12

We got fish in last week and I did not get a chance to list them. This week we got more fish and ORA again. Here is a list of this weeks fish plus the ORA fish and corals available as of this post.

As always these lists are mostly for the benefit of our local customers and will not be regularly updated as things sell. If you have any questions such as price or availability please call or email the store at info@saltycritter.com

Coral Beauty Angel

Flagfin Angel

Lamark Angel

Japanese Swallowtail Angel

Blue Ring Angel

Flame Back Angel

Naso Tang

Chromis Green

Kupang (Hemicyanea) Damsel

Speckled Damsel

Powder Blue Tang

Purple Tang

Solar Fairy Wrasse Male

Allardi Clown

Purple Firefish

Mandarin

Starry Blenny

Panther Grouper

Louti Grouper

Clown Grouper

Volitan Black Lionfish

Powder Brown Tang

Scopus Tang

Blue Eye Tang

Sohal Tang

Exquisite Wrasse

Anthias Purple Square

Goatfish Bicolor

Rabbitfish

Peppermint Hog

-- ORA Corals and Fish --

Orchid Dottyback

Neon Dottyback

Neon Goby

Black Saddleback Clowns

Squamosa Clam

Ultra Gold Maxima Clams

Derasa Clam

Pink Stylophora

Blue Voodoo Acro

Joe the Coral

Purple Nana

Red Planet

Ponape Birdsnest

GreenTip Orange Birdsnest

Marshall Island Misty Purple Acro

Marshall Island Yellow Fuzzy Acro

Marshall Island Blue Bottlebrsuh Acro

Plum Crazy Acro

Indo Purple stag Acro

Red Gonipora

just looked at that. really want some pomape birdsnest, joe the coral and the Marshall Island Yellow Fuzzy Acro

I believe those are pineapple sponges. I have tons of them.

I like the dimension of the tank. Who built it for you? (or did I miss that a few pages back?)

Archived