Innovative Marine Aquariums

Custom Look CadLights 50Long

twan

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So part of my divers den order coming tomorrow are some SPS, some pricey pieces, all good.

Last night while feeding I noticed that the one Acropora I currently have, the branching green one..............the underside and any area that does not get direct light has turned brown, not good. It is not losing tissue and it is not white. The coral has not moved since its addition 5 weeks ago. Is it true that browning on the under sides of the SPS coral is normal even in optimal conditions because the undersides of the coral do not get near as much light?

This is my 1st stab at SPS.

I did not have a chance to test water parameters. It has been 8 days since my last water change of 20%. I will be doing a water change 2nite. Parameters might be slightly higher then normal because I have had to target blast the Yasha Goby burrow because he is still too skittish to come out all the way.

Changes recently:

1.) I did adjust the lighting schedule last week but I gave it the same intensity for 1 hour longer at peak and smoothed out the ramp ups/downs to get there. Nothing drastic. The piece is already at the top of my rock work. My current lighting has the Sol Blue's @ their peak of W:55% BL:55% RY:60% for 4hrs.

2.) I did add chaeto and fuge lighting 10 days ago that made my PH more stable through the night.

Is this piece adjusting to the LED's in my tank and took 5 weeks to show some brown and will color back up eventually?

It seems my acro is just adjusting to LED lights and the underside is not getting lite the same way when it was on a sand bed getting MH and T5 light bouncing back up at it over at Divers Den, no worries for now. Will monitor.

Today

20% Water change

Tomorrow

10 new Divers Den Corals

Monday

Transfer Panel & Generator Test

Hey sorry I missed that siwelk.

It is hard wired through a 100foot cat6 cable that goes through the attic then down to my basement where it hooks into the apex. On the computer end it is just connected to my AT&T supplied Uverse router by way of a Netgear hub . Not very fancy.

I just finished reading your 22 page thread. You setup (aside from tank size) is very similar to what I invision my next tank to be. I love the detail. It also makes me want to go out and get that Apex sooner. I am still a little confused about the plumbing, but it's hard without the pieces in front of you. I'm sure I'll figure it out when the time comes.

I am also very picky and anal. I am very impressed with your sump. Very well made and a lot of attention to detail. I'm wondering if he kept the specs for a future build?

Oh, and what a fiasco with your custom tank. That cover was pretty laughable.

I'm following along. Good stuff.

The staghorn that came is huge. Here is the full list of what was added

Flowerpot Coral Indonesia

Pinks Pucker Zoa Colony

Yellow Fiji Leather Coral

ORA® Red Planet Table Acropora

ORA® Torch Coral

ORA® Bird of Paradise Birdsnest

ORA® Goniopora Coral

Bushy Acropora Coral Fiji

Staghorn Acropora Coral Fiji

DFS Big Polyp Red and Green Blastomussa

While these adds were going on I forgot to turn off my skimmer.

Between the frag glue and epoxy it probably overflowed into my sump for a solid 45 mins. I emptied but did not clean the collection cup the day before. I am sure some crap made it back into the sump. I have not turned the skimmer back on yet. I have to test nitrates and phosphates today when I get back home. The fish were ok and corals seem fine, I am worried though.

Overflowing Skimmer

I got worried when I saw the skimmer overflowing, glad I emptied the cup other day.

After the overflow the water column still looked crystal clear in the display and all looked fine.

I will test phosphates and nitrates today, change the filter sock, turn the skimmer back on (dialed down to start).

Skimmer Cup

This brings up another skimmer question.  I had always been removing the collection cup and cleaning it every 3 days or so.

The last change, I just emptied the collection cup via the valve underneath and did not clean it, just drained the fluid.

It was my thought that constant on and off of the collection cup will compromise that rubber seal in the long run.

Am I doing this right?  It is my 1st skimmer.

Stag

The one I got needs to color up and adjust to the LEDS but I was impressed by the size of it.  

It is massive, 4-5 long branches, thick thick thick and 4" inches long encrusting on the base.....all for $80.

I just finished reading your 22 page thread. You setup (aside from tank size) is very similar to what I invision my next tank to be. I love the detail. It also makes me want to go out and get that Apex sooner. I am still a little confused about the plumbing, but it's hard without the pieces in front of you. I'm sure I'll figure it out when the time comes.

I am also very picky and anal. I am very impressed with your sump. Very well made and a lot of attention to detail. I'm wondering if he kept the specs for a future build?

Oh, and what a fiasco with your custom tank. That cover was pretty laughable.

I'm following along. Good stuff.

Thanks for your kind words I am catching up on your thread too.

The plumbing confused the hell out of me as well.

I over ordered items I needed (sch80) from BRS and returned what I did not use.

It still took 2 orders to get it right. And the cover from CAD lights, laughable.

They also never sent FEDEX to pickup the black silicone tank...........time to sell!

I wanna see the goni!

The green goni is open, the coral DD labeled "Flowerpot Coral Indonesia" that should be a blue/purple

is almost 100% closed, on the sand bed, in a medium flow area.

Hey sorry I missed that siwelk.

It is hard wired through a 100foot cat6 cable that goes through the attic then down to my basement where it hooks into the apex. On the computer end it is just connected to my AT&T supplied Uverse router by way of a Netgear hub . Not very fancy.

No worries, thanks for the info.

As for the skimmer seal, I'd just pickup some silicone lubricant if you feel the need.

Of course, you could always just get a skimmate locker and go that route.

So you still have the other tank?

Crazy.

Generator setup is complete. Pictures shows in this post are reference pictures but my equipment is almost identical.

B6HlF.jpg

The generator I choose is the Generac 8000XGE. It is portable and has an electric start.

It powers my entire home sans the washer/dry, central air compressor, electric stove.

The generator powers my whole electric panel via the interlock system.

VoywZ.jpg

I turn off my main, slide the panel shown in the above up, which allows me to turn my generator breakers on and power my panel off the generator without sending power back out into the grid.

I then wheel the generator out of my garage, and attach a 50 foot cord (paid more for longer cord to move it further from house in order to reduce noise) to a new box located on the outside of house. No extension cord bologna for me. 1 cord from the generator to the panel.

JGqTj.jpg

Of course I will not be able to run every light, TV and appliance on in the house simultaneosly.

My refrigerator, heat, hot water, window AC, TV, computer/router, some lights, and the Apex running my tank will all be covered. I can rest a little easier now.

hsjuP.jpg

Generator setup is complete. Pictures shows in this post are reference pictures but my equipment is almost identical.

B6HlF.jpg

The generator I choose is the Generac 8000XGE. It is portable and has an electric start.

It powers my entire home sans the washer/dry, central air compressor, electric stove.

The generator powers my whole electric panel via the interlock system.

VoywZ.jpg

I turn off my main, slide the panel shown in the above up, which allows me to turn my generator breakers on and power my panel off the generator without sending power back out into the grid.

I then wheel the generator out of my garage, and attach a 50 foot cord (paid more for longer cord to move it further from house in order to reduce noise) to a new box located on the outside of house. No extension cord bologna for me. 1 cord from the generator to the panel.

JGqTj.jpg

Of course I will not be able to run every light, TV and appliance on in the house simultaneosly.

My refrigerator, heat, hot water, window AC, TV, computer/router, some lights, and the Apex running my tank will all be covered. I can rest a little easier now.

hsjuP.jpg

You're gonna be glad you got that set up! I really like that you can plug it into the panel. When I have to fire mine up, I have to get out five miles of extension cords!

Following up on my Kuiteri variety of Leopard Wrasse.

Day 1 he went into the sand.

Day 2 he was out for foraging on pods & then I was able to feed him frozen brine. Total time out and about was approximately 5hours.

Day 3-12 no sightings at all.

edit: i purchased and have more dry sand to wash and add but I am holding off at the moment to see if he is even still alive

Pump

1 vortech mp10 started making a loud humming noise, called ecotech, replacement due in 2 business days under warranty.

Leather

Yellow fiji leather came with a single brown spot that began melting away. I removed the necrotic tissue with a scalpel easily since it was right on an edge. New SW rinse then back in the tank into a higher flow area to monitor. Polyps barely come out on the rest of the piece, I think they are poor shippers and take a long time to acclimate. Will monitor.

Sand

Have new dry sand that I have to rinse and add to the tank for the Kuiteri variety of Leopard Wrasse. But he has not shown his face in 10 days and I presume him for dead.

Unsure if I will still add the sand.

Lighting and Water Flow

Last week I changed my lighting timers.

I now realize I should change my WMX profiles that the Vortechs run on to match the lighting to simulate a more natural reef.

Calm, low and even through the night on constant.

Reefcrest in the morning.

Some Tidal and Nutrient at peak sun.

Some Lagoon for the later afternoon through sunset.

I will post my final settings here next week.

Pics

Will take this weekend.

Archived