Innovative Marine Aquariums

Custom Look CadLights 50Long

twan

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Bencollinz.

The top of output of skimmer sitting as it is right now is 8.5".

I would like to keep the sump water level where it is now which would mean water will be 9.25" high.

Do I need to change this and prop the skimmer up 0.75" or am I within the range?

No problem - also more then likely your first pipe together will be loud and you'll be unsatisfied and modify it lol...it happens to everyone. If you can create as many 45 angle drops as you can instead of straight down(unless your running two drains and plan on one being full siphon). And also the outlets of the drain into the water you will need a way to bleed off air. Which you can accomplish by an elbow at the water line similar to this. The T with airline isn't necessary - it was in my situation because the way I run the overflow(I run the drain at the pipe gph rating not the overflow box rating) so I needed to bleed off extra air

IMG_20111210_094103_edit0.jpg

I am not sure that I can accomplish this, look at my sump inlet:

vsZUq.jpg

Would you remove that whole fitting/pipe and run different length pipes down it instead till I get the desired quietness? I tried removing it but it would not twist and the pipe inside that box is not easily acessible.

Even after I switch out my durso I think I have to quiet the sump inlet a lot if I want to run this thing wide open. Would you remove this fitting and its pipe and start trying different lengths?

I tried removing the fitting and pipe but it would not budge.

Here is a better picture marking the pipe and fitting and the outer dimensions of the chamber to show how small of an area is is that then overflows into the filter sock. This whole thing is now in the left rear of my stand now btw.

ZXaai.jpg

Interesting. As far as the skimmer goes - you may need to raise it however I don't know anything about the cad lights skimmer. The drain however - if you cannot remove the pipe could you slide an elbow into the end? Or get two nuts and but them together from the top side to get a wrench on to loosen it - cut the pipe and run a double elbow directly to the filter sock to prevent detritus accumulation in that chamber...just an idea. But from the looks of it as it stands the pipe is always under water not allowing air to escape which will cause bubbling gushing and also slow down the drain - so even if you don't go with the elbow idea I would at least make an angled cut like it has to bring the top side of the angle above the waterline to release the air in the drain and also to promote a uniform drain pattern to not effect your overflow height because air has no escape other then underwater in your sump

Thanks Decokz, I am so close yet so far.

I wanted to start stocking this but I cant get the drain solved and now the skimmer issue =(

Your right, air is not escaping it is bubbling under the water and sloshing all around.

So much of these bubbles case my filter sock to fill up and partially float on the water surface!

I need to get that fitting and pipe off and raise it a little.

;) if you can get the fitting off you will be golden - as a last resort you could always just run the drain hose directly to the sock....

Sucks running into problems but....you got your mind right so it will he all good ;)....at least you weren't stocked and find out your skimmers leaking green into the tank lol..that would suck ;/

So this picture shows my sump inlet that then overflow into the filter sock.

ZXaai.jpg

I could not remove this fitting so I now run my drain line open 100% into the filter sock directly like this:

5OfKB.jpg

My question is I cut the drain pipe that enters the water at an angle to let air escape.

It quieted it down some but not as much as I would like. See how my filter sock is catching all that air?

Should it not be like that? Should the sock be fully emersed in the water? Should I have a straight cut at the bottom instead of an angle and put a 45deg or 90deg bend fitting on the bottom pointed towards the rear to quiet it?

Its the way I have to run it now until I can dry a different durso. Putting a valve on the airline in the cap of my current durso causes constant flushing. Airline in with no valve gives me the proper height and lets me open the drain 100% but I still have sloshing and lots of air/bubbles in the sump inlet. Lesser of 2 evils till I can test the http://www.dursostandpipes.com/

Hmmm you probably still could put a 90 on even with the angle.cut to try to quiet it more. Your sock is a mesh sock - suggest switching to a poly sock. Do you have sloshing up top or just in the sump?

I ran out of 1" pipe so I need to go get more before I make any other adjustments. From there I will try a 90 on the end. I am holding off any adjustments till I get and test the new durso. Maybe that will make all my problems go away.

As for the socks I am running BRS "mesh" sock:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/brs-me...astic-ring.html

Should I try the BRS "felt" sock? Why?

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/brs-fe...astic-ring.html

The felt sock is ridgidish and won't float on you releasing all of the detritus back out. The mesh socks are.just a pita and don't really collect as much from the water IMO. I like the felt/poly socks and I just throw mine in the washer machine inside out with no soap every Sunday - lasts for about 3 months before it stops being effective and need to replace it

I heard back from Tunze on my ATO issue:

I verified your power supply worked and I tried changing the wire on the controller and it was a no go. I replaced the controller with a brand new one in the sealed factory packaging.

Apparently it was a switching defect in the controller itself. I should have it back Friday.

Hold on everyone. I promise there will be livestock soon!~

My wife is being induced tonight since our 1st child (boy) is 1 week overdue.

The rest of the week will be re-adjusting to our new addition and maybe next week I will have time to reinstall the ATO, Durso, Apex WMX Unit.

I picked quality components and have just had bad luck.

Tank - CAD wrong silicone color, delay in getting another tank that delayed the stand build.

ATO - Tunze, manufactoring defect, delay adding livestock.

Skimmer - CAD, bad cup seal, delay adding livestock.

Durso - CAD Durso sucks and is being replaced by another, delay adding livestock.

Plumbing - My fault for not ordering enough SCH80 fittings in my 1st BRS order, delay adding livestock.

See the pattern? Delay delay.............delay! Hang tight!

Archived