inTank Media Baskets

Multiple Gorgasms

LongPig

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply
;)

What water is the fan from? That's interesting that it did better after lowering the temperature.

I'm guessing saltwater :P

Most NPS gorgs are from deeper water, and most NPS keepers keep their tanks at ~72-74. Check out Uhuru's tank for a quick guide to what an extremely well done NPS tank setup looks like...

http://www.nano-reef.com/featured/?tank=36

;)

What water is the fan from? That's interesting that it did better after lowering the temperature.

No clue actually but they did tell me it was a species from a little shallower area of the reef. They actually had it in their SPS tank.

I'm feeding Phyto Feast right now. I love the phone. I had the 4 and waited for the 5 to upgrade. Skipped the 4S so I'm liking the new features. Plus it's lighter and faster.

altolamprologus
I'm feeding Phyto Feast right now.

You're gonna want to feed it other foods too. Gorgs don't get much nutrition from phyto (although it is still necessary in small quantities). I would feed a mix of phyto, rotifers, and baby brine shrimp at a minimum. JM.02

^ yep. All my NPS go nuts over it. And it's nutritious too.

I get as much of a feeding response out of all my fish, corals, and inverts with this food alone as I do when I do my monstrous broadcast feed and leave out the RCFFF.

You're gonna want to feed it other foods too. Gorgs don't get much nutrition from phyto (although it is still necessary in small quantities). I would feed a mix of phyto, rotifers, and baby brine shrimp at a minimum. JM.02

Reef Cleaners filter feeder formula FTW

Ordered! How much and how often should I be feeding that fan? It's huge! Oh and I got a purple plume gorg now too. Also what's the general concensus on keeping branching Duncan's and Dendro's with seahorses?

Ordered! How much and how often should I be feeding that fan? It's huge! Oh and I got a purple plume gorg now too. Also what's the general concensus on keeping branching Duncan's and Dendro's with seahorses?

As often as possible. I wouldn't keep seahorses with any LPS personally.

+1

I can't believe you found it in stock at Johns, everybody else has been begging for it for months.

;)

+1

I can't believe you found it in stock at Johns, everybody else has been begging for it for months.

Yeah he has it in "unlabeled" containers right now for $5.

altolamprologus

What I do for my NPS is mix photo, rotifers, mysis juice, reef cleaners filter feeder formula, pork blood, and frozen cyclops all together with some tank water, freeze it into ice cubes, then put a couple cubes in a fish net hanging over my return pump in the sump. They slowly melt over the next hour or so and drip the food right into the return pump. I do that two or three times a day and feed straight phyto a couple more times a day.

Ideally you want to be feeding constantly throughout the day and night but if you can't, a few times a day is best.

What I do for my NPS is mix photo, rotifers, mysis juice, reef cleaners filter feeder formula, pork blood, and frozen cyclops all together with some tank water, freeze it into ice cubes, then put a couple cubes in a fish net hanging over my return pump in the sump. They slowly melt over the next hour or so and drip the food right into the return pump. I do that two or three times a day and feed straight phyto a couple more times a day.

Ideally you want to be feeding constantly throughout the day and night but if you can't, a few times a day is best.

Coral feeding that includes slaughter is awesome! New FTS since the scape changes daily.

778AB1FA-51DB-4A73-8796-AF85B7BCFA34-238-0000002796121772_zps7dcac8e3.jpg

Out of curiosity, how did you find out pork blood would be beneficial? I couldn't find anything linking it with gorgonians at all on google.

+1

Also I'm doing a bi-weekly 25% water change. Will that still be adequate in your opinion? NPS are new territory for me.

Out of curiosity, how did you find out pork blood would be beneficial? I couldn't find anything linking it with gorgonians at all on google.

Public aquarium secret ;)

(But it's really beef/pork blood + brewer's yeast)

I just found this thread and WOW this tank is awesome!!

Public aquarium secret ;)

(But it's really beef/pork blood + brewer's yeast)

I just found this thread and WOW this tank is awesome!!

Interesting. I guess it's weird that I come by human blood more than I do animal blood. I make people bleed for a living. Thanks for the compliments yoshii. I appreciate it.

Interesting. I guess it's weird that I come by human blood more than I do animal blood. I make people bleed for a living. Thanks for the compliments yoshii. I appreciate it.

I would think the only difference is that human blood would have more contaminants/toxins than animal blood

A seahorse/pipefish reef is one of the coolest tank ideas

I would think the only difference is that human blood would have more contaminants/toxins than animal blood

A seahorse/pipefish reef is one of the coolest tank ideas

No pun intended since the tank is at 72 degrees. Badum bum!

altolamprologus

As yoshii said its an aquarium "secret". But I believe in advancing the hobby so whatever Scripps grew black corals on cow blood and brewers yeast but I use pork blood cause that's what my local Asian market carries. The nps absolutely love it. The fish go nuts at the smell of it too.

Longpig, you'll just have to test your water weekly and see if your nutrient levels stay low. The most important thing is making sure the nutrients are low enough to prevent algae from growing on the gorg.

Archived