Pod Your Reef

TR0Ns ZEOvit ..::SouthReef::..

SouthFlorida_Tron

Have you considered a flasher wrasse? Very chill, not gonna bother anyone in the tank, stay smaller, and beautiful. I'd pass on a 6line for sure.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My concern with a wrasse is the safety of my Pistol Shrimp...

30x16x16

Most wrasses won't bother shrimp, stay away from Halichoeres genus wrasses like coris or melanarus. My melanurus wrasse has dismantled my CUC, snails are a tasty snack.

I'd stay away from fairy wrasses, they usually get too large for a 30" tank. Flashers would be perfect. If you go with a wrasse, make sure you have some sort of lid.

SouthFlorida_Tron

So the CAD arrived this morning, and in one piece!

First impression is that this thing is huge, and a much beefier version of the Pico. One feature that caught my attention are the sleek, sexy, beveled corners of the front glass. It makes the glass very clean and streamlined, my wife approved!

I'll post much more come Sunday as I'm home from work, and will have a chance to leak test & thoroughly wipe down, however sand is yet to be ordered :(

SouthFlorida_Tron

Its quite sexy, very beefy. It's funny, its just like a bigger version of my Pico but a completely different design from glass to filtration. I'm working out a few details with that. Ill be ordering sand on Monday so hopefully have it wet by next Sunday...

Leak testing today (Sunday) so Ill try and get some nice shots once its been cleaned... Its filthy right now!

SouthFlorida_Tron

Hehe, the thought perhaps crossed my mind but then I figured, why go through all that bad press! But it's here now!

30x16x16

Maybe a bit small, but you could do a smaller flasher or even fairy wrasse with your scape :)

30x16x16

Meh, the wrasse will not mess with the pistol. I have had several wrasses in my tank with my candy stripe pistol and they never give each other a second look.

Most wrasses won't bother shrimp, stay away from Halichoeres genus wrasses like coris or melanarus. My melanurus wrasse has dismantled my CUC, snails are a tasty snack.

I'd stay away from fairy wrasses, they usually get too large for a 30" tank. Flashers would be perfect. If you go with a wrasse, make sure you have some sort of lid.

My coris has never given my pistol shrimp a second look. I also have a solon fairy in my 24x24 footprint tank and it has plenty of room to swim as long as there is an open rock scape.

So the CAD arrived this morning, and in one piece!

First impression is that this thing is huge, and a much beefier version of the Pico. One feature that caught my attention are the sleek, sexy, beveled corners of the front glass. It makes the glass very clean and streamlined, my wife approved!

I'll post much more come Sunday as I'm home from work, and will have a chance to leak test & thoroughly wipe down, however sand is yet to be ordered :(

Congrats!

SouthFlorida_Tron

Beautiful how close to the surface is it

Id say the overall colony is about 3 inches from the water, some spots 2 inches... growing rapidly!

Meh, the wrasse will not mess with the pistol. I have had several wrasses in my tank with my candy stripe pistol and they never give each other a second look.

My coris has never given my pistol shrimp a second look. I also have a solon fairy in my 24x24 footprint tank and it has plenty of room to swim as long as there is an open rock scape.

Congrats!

I'm super excited to choose a wrasse! Difficult to select only one though!!!!

The scape will be rather minimal, and similar to the current setup but flip flopped since the overflow and return is backwards.... Will it be suitable for a wrasse or modifications needed?

Id say the overall colony is about 3 inches from the water, some spots 2 inches... growing rapidly!

I'm super excited to choose a wrasse! Difficult to select only one though!!!!

The scape will be rather minimal, and similar to the current setup but flip flopped since the overflow and return is backwards.... Will it be suitable for a wrasse or modifications needed?

I think you would do just fine with a lubbock's or a solon fairy in that tank. Just get a small one (2'' or so).

SouthFlorida_Tron

I think you would do just fine with a lubbock's or a solon fairy in that tank. Just get a small one (2'' or so).

I posted a few of the wrasses I prefer and caught the wife's eye.... Got it down to 4!

SouthFlorida_Tron

That's some insane growth!

Yessir! Now hopefully to see tons more with a more spacious living quarter ahead!

Which post? I must have missed it.

Archived