inTank Media Baskets

Rio Grande Twins

Spirofucci

That's a lot of frags omgomgomg

I highly recommend eBay for macros, from my experience. If you like a large amount of macros (too much IMO) try live-plants.com. They'll send you way more than you need ;)

I hope your LA Reefs order goes well for you. I ordered something from them, after two weeks of no item, I filed with paypal to get my money back. They never once responded to any of the communication I sent to them. I've heard similar stories from others as well. I think if you order from them on eBay, you get more attention. I ordered directly from their website.

Anyways...looks like your new DT is filling up fast :)

Oh crap......I should have asked you first. I also ordered a red mini carpet nem from them. It's all supposed to be delivered Saturday......so we'll see what happens.......

It sorta looks like macros are seasonal. alot of the sites recommended to me are out of most of their stock.

What's this Ebay thing? Is it like this face book thing?

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh crap......I should have asked you first. I also ordered a red mini carpet nem from them. It's all supposed to be delivered Saturday......so we'll see what happens.......

It sorta looks like macros are seasonal. alot of the sites recommended to me are out of most of their stock.

What's this Ebay thing? Is it like this face book thing?

You've never bought something on eBay??? If not, you are missing out :) I recommend these sellers on eBay for macro: macroman2000, montrosereef. They've always sent me nice macro. Morgan's on there too, just an FYI :)

If they already told you they will ship and it will be delivered on Saturday...you are a step ahead of where I was. They never sent me ANY communication.

Pink is the hardest color to maintain. It generally takes high intensity lighting with a lot of red spectrum stay that way.

I knew I should have had you make me a light!!!!!

You have a TON of corals! I hadn't realized the variety of zoas and palys you'd acquired. Looking great! And I agree the display tank looks more balanced now.

I agree with you that macros seem to be seasonal. I've noticed most places are out of stock right now. Do you have any interest in blue ochtodes and red grape? I've got some extra right now if you want to just cover the shipping.

You have a TON of corals! I hadn't realized the variety of zoas and palys you'd acquired. Looking great! And I agree the display tank looks more balanced now.

I agree with you that macros seem to be seasonal. I've noticed most places are out of stock right now. Do you have any interest in blue ochtodes and red grape? I've got some extra right now if you want to just cover the shipping.

I'll gladly pay you. Blue octo is hard to find right now and it isn't cheap! Just tell me when, where and how much!!!! Besides, I wouldn't mind having a little piece of you in my tank! :)

I'll gladly pay you. Blue octo is hard to find right now and it isn't cheap! Just tell me when, where and how much!!!! Besides, I wouldn't mind having a little piece of you in my tank! :)

Maybe we could do a trade instead? I'm looking for some nice zoas and palys or SPS corals if you have any frags right now. Otherwise you can have the macros for just shipping charge. You and Gena have been a huge help here on N-R which has earned you free stuff :) I'm pretty busy this week but I'm doing tank stuff this weekend anyway since I have a frag swap to go to. How about I ship out next Monday morning? The macros should be fine with priority shipping so they'd get to you on Wednesday. Would that be ok?

The pictures are so cool. Everything looks like it is in its proper place in the RSM now. The Solana is starting to look great with the corals. So then is your RSM going to be SPS dominant (and the beautiful riccordeas) while the Solana is Z's and P's with gorgonians and macros? I think the contrast between the two will be lovely. And having both in separate tanks while connected to the same sump allows for different environments for both kinds of tanks. Pristine for the SPS and heavily fed for the Solana and it all equalizes by the sump. It's perfect.

Is that how you envisioned it would be or did it turn out different as you went along?

(BTW that sump gets me everytime, that's art right there)

Maybe we could do a trade instead? I'm looking for some nice zoas and palys or SPS corals if you have any frags right now. Otherwise you can have the macros for just shipping charge. You and Gena have been a huge help here on N-R which has earned you free stuff :) I'm pretty busy this week but I'm doing tank stuff this weekend anyway since I have a frag swap to go to. How about I ship out next Monday morning? The macros should be fine with priority shipping so they'd get to you on Wednesday. Would that be ok?

A trade sounds great to me. The problem is that I'm total virgin/noob when it comes to shipping anything. Heck I haven't even mailed a letter in years.

I'm scared that everything will arrive DOA. So I'm going to try an experiment with Maria, got 2 envy. She has volunteered to be my guinea piggy. She also has some macros to trade as well.

I have some sps and some Gena D's I just fragged this weekend so i guess they should be ready in a couple of weeks???

If you have the time and can send them that would be cool. Please let me know what is the best way to pay you!!!!!!

I still need to get some shipping supplies, which Maria kindly turned me on to a cool site for this.........and my other problem is that I'm still working crazy stoopid hours.

A trade sounds great to me. The problem is that I'm total virgin/noob when it comes to shipping anything. Heck I haven't even mailed a letter in years.

I'm scared that everything will arrive DOA. So I'm going to try an experiment with Maria, got 2 envy. She has volunteered to be my guinea piggy. She also has some macros to trade as well.

I have some sps and some Gena D's I just fragged this weekend so i guess they should be ready in a couple of weeks???

If you have the time and can send them that would be cool. Please let me know what is the best way to pay you!!!!!!

I still need to get some shipping supplies, which Maria kindly turned me on to a cool site for this.........and my other problem is that I'm still working crazy stoopid hours.

Yeah I'm still new to shipping. I've only ever shipped the one frag to Gena but it was an SPS and showed up alive, so I think I can manage to send some macros. I've got bags and heat packs right now but I just need an insulated box. Luckily, I've got an order from reef cleaners coming in on Thursday so I'll just use that box. I'll definitely try to get them out to you by next Monday. Did you want both some ochtodes and red grape? I'll let you know after I ship it how much the shipping cost.

I'm in no rush for the trade. I'd love some of the Gena D's if you're going to have some ready. Whenever you're ready to ship (no rush! A couple weeks is totally fine), just let me know and I'll pay the shipping on those.

Yeah I'm still new to shipping. I've only ever shipped the one frag to Gena but it was an SPS and showed up alive, so I think I can manage to send some macros. I've got bags and heat packs right now but I just need an insulated box. Luckily, I've got an order from reef cleaners coming in on Thursday so I'll just use that box. I'll definitely try to get them out to you by next Monday. Did you want both some ochtodes and red grape? I'll let you know after I ship it how much the shipping cost.

I'm in no rush for the trade. I'd love some of the Gena D's if you're going to have some ready. Whenever you're ready to ship (no rush! A couple weeks is totally fine), just let me know and I'll pay the shipping on those.

Wow, that all sounds great to me especially since Gena has me worried about my other macro order.....

I think I commented in Maria's thread that if I get the hang of this fragging/shipping thing, that Morgan better watch out!!! :)

I''l take a piece of both if that's OK. Also, please remind me when you send it so I can have everyone stay on the lookout for it. :) I get to work @ 0630 every day and sometimes don't get home till 2200 or later......

Shipping is daunting and there is no guarantee anything will arrive alive. What you can do is fool proof everything on your end.

-Don't skimp on the water in the bag, turn the bag this way and that to make sure the frag will always be underwater even if the box is flipped over in transit

-Double bag the frags and never use ziplock as one of the bags. ever.

-Leave air in the bags just like the LFS does for stuff you take home.

-Get a 40 hour heat pack and make sure it is warmed up before use

-Insulate the box with styrofoam or buy insulated boxes

-A lot of vendors make 2 holes close together in the lid of the styrofoam, for air. The air is needed to keep the heat pack activated. The heat pack is taped directly underneath these holes

-Make sure the heat pack never touches the frag bags directly, there is newspaper or peanuts between the bags and the heat pack

-Make sure the bags stay upright with enough packing material to keep them that way

-Deliver to the post office at the nick of time, 5pm or whatever never earlier if you can help it, to minimize actual in transit time.

-Bonus - kiss the box for good luck

What's going on with your other macro order? I guess I missed that.

And you're right! You've got so many of Morgans corals you could operate a satellite location for her business haha!

I'll cut you a piece of both the macros and send them out at the beginning of next week. I'll make sure to give you a heads up when I'm shipping and ill make sure to not require a signature for the box.

Shipping is daunting and there is no guarantee anything will arrive alive. What you can do is fool proof everything on your end.

-Don't skimp on the water in the bag, turn the bag this way and that to make sure the frag will always be underwater even if the box is flipped over in transit

-Double bag the frags and never use ziplock as one of the bags. ever.

-Leave air in the bags just like the LFS does for stuff you take home.

-Get a 40 hour heat pack and make sure it is warmed up before use

-Insulate the box with styrofoam or buy insulated boxes

-A lot of vendors make 2 holes close together in the lid of the styrofoam, for air. The air is needed to keep the heat pack activated. The heat pack is taped directly underneath these holes

-Make sure the heat pack never touches the frag bags directly, there is newspaper or peanuts between the bags and the heat pack

-Make sure the bags stay upright with enough packing material to keep them that way

-Deliver to the post office at the nick of time, 5pm or whatever never earlier if you can help it, to minimize actual in transit time.

-Bonus - kiss the box for good luck

Wow, Thanks Kat!!! I know you have done this a few times! :)

What's going on with your other macro order? I guess I missed that.

And you're right! You've got so many of Morgans corals you could operate a satellite location for her business haha!

I'll cut you a piece of both the macros and send them out at the beginning of next week. I'll make sure to give you a heads up when I'm shipping and ill make sure to not require a signature for the box.

Gena had a major problem with the vendor I ordered from.

Felicia that all sounds great to me. Now you got me excited. :)

You've never bought something on eBay??? If not, you are missing out :) I recommend these sellers on eBay for macro: macroman2000, montrosereef. They've always sent me nice macro. Morgan's on there too, just an FYI :)

If they already told you they will ship and it will be delivered on Saturday...you are a step ahead of where I was. They never sent me ANY communication.

I'm a major technoignoramus. Pretty much the only time I'm on the internet is when I'm on here.

Lol, I do know about e-bay, my wife has bought and sold millions of $$$ on there.

Btw, thanks Gena, I'll check out those macro dudes!

Don't tell anybody, but I have taken a peak at Morgan's FB and e-bay auctions.......

The pictures are so cool. Everything looks like it is in its proper place in the RSM now. The Solana is starting to look great with the corals. So then is your RSM going to be SPS dominant (and the beautiful riccordeas) while the Solana is Z's and P's with gorgonians and macros? I think the contrast between the two will be lovely. And having both in separate tanks while connected to the same sump allows for different environments for both kinds of tanks. Pristine for the SPS and heavily fed for the Solana and it all equalizes by the sump. It's perfect.

Is that how you envisioned it would be or did it turn out different as you went along?

(BTW that sump gets me everytime, that's art right there)

Geez, somehow I missed this reply.

Thanks Kat!

Yes, I guess the RSM did turn into sps dominated. When I first made my little bonsai structure, I had no idea it would be full of "hard to grow" corals.

I'm hopeful it will be the "perfect" system and nice to look at as well. :)

Good morning Mark. Question about the water level in the RSM with the sump.

-did you remove the media basket or it is still in there?

-is the over flow at the lowest point allowed or you have it higher?

Thanks

Good morning Mark. Question about the water level in the RSM with the sump.

-did you remove the media basket or it is still in there?

-is the over flow at the lowest point allowed or you have it higher?

Thanks

Yep, media rack had to go and yes the box is at it's lowest. I have it right in front of the RSM grate.

To be honest, all of this is not the ideal set up imo....... "dirty" tank water bypasses the over flow and gets recirculated again and again......it takes a lot longer for the tank to clear up after a w/c or turkey basting.

Having said all this, it's soooo much better than the AIO set up. At least I have a constant water level in the back!

This is why I told you to use a sump before kat....no fluctuating water level

Lol, tru dat, but it took me a friggn year to save up for mine!

Lol....? What did you have one custom built?

Yeppers! Jeff @ Lifereef made it for me.

I'm not sure why he wanted it, but he now has my left nut.......Morgan has my right one..........

20130216_175526_zps0659a02a.jpg

So, just got an e-mail from LA Reefs and they are packing and sending my order now to be here in the am!

I ordered a bunch of macros and a red mini nem..........

Yep, media rack had to go and yes the box is at it's lowest. I have it right in front of the RSM grate.

To be honest, all of this is not the ideal set up imo....... "dirty" tank water bypasses the over flow and gets recirculated again and again......it takes a lot longer for the tank to clear up after a w/c or turkey basting.

Having said all this, it's soooo much better than the AIO set up. At least I have a constant water level in the back!

I'm with you. I think the filtration ability in the DT is shot with the addition of the overflow.

One of the ideas I have been toying with is to deepen the teeth on the overflow box with a dremel. This would allow the water to gush in faster and hopefully draw in the schmutz from the display. It might also allow for a lower water level in the DT which is not the intended purpose.

I've been using the foam guards on the MP10s for the added filration for this reason.

Yeppers! Jeff @ Lifereef made it for me.

I'm not sure why he wanted it, but he now has my left nut.......Morgan has my right one..........

20130216_175526_zps0659a02a.jpg

Sounds like your nuts are in a vice! :P:rolleyes:

I'm with you. I think the filtration ability in the DT is shot with the addition of the overflow.

One of the ideas I have been toying with is to deepen the teeth on the overflow box with a dremel. This would allow the water to gush in faster and hopefully draw in the schmutz from the display. It might also allow for a lower water level in the DT which is not the intended purpose.

I've been using the foam guards on the MP10s for the added filration for this reason.

You could also lengthen the slot where the wing nut goes or cut/dremmel the back of the RSM so it sits lower or get one of these and use it weekly after a wc:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3579+16744&pcatid=16744

Sounds like your nuts are in a vice! :P:rolleyes:

:blink:

Archived