ReefCleaners.org

Opaquelace: Lalani photo dump time June 2014

opaquelace

I know right? Lawnman said it's normal for them to go into hiding after being pissed off from shipping. I can still see a bubble or two wave when I shine a flashlight in its hole, but other than that nothing. I'm hoping it comes out soon. I'm about to say screw you anemone and flip the rock around on him so he's forced to show himself.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My replacement anemone from Morgan is in my tank! I got a little scared because it started to attach to my acclimation bowl lol but a few wiggles in the water had it loose. It's attached to a rock already. I have my flow off until it gets a good hold. Lights should be in in about a half hour. I'll dim them to acclimate it but I know Morgan runs metal halides so it really shouldn't have an issue adjusting to the Kessil. Can't wait to see how it glows! It's beautiful!

Preliminary picture of brand new acclimated BTA. I couldn't resist. The lights aren't even on yet lol, but it looks pretty dang happy!0418131234.jpg

:happydance:

Lani I found my black clownfish alive in my canister filter. Do you have any ideas on how to nurse him back to health? He looks in sorry shape but he's been in that canister filter for weeks starving, without light, proper flow or clean water. It probably explains the cyano outbreaks we've had. Pooooooor little fish. I hope he survives and moves into the new home he has. :tears:

Omigosh! How the heck did he get in there??

Where is he now? Is he swimming alright? Have you tried feeding him?

Tried feeding him, not much of a nibble, he's swimming around and catching the currents but he looks pretty pitiful. I tried flakes and mysis. I just have the moonlights on right now. I'm pretty sure it's hard for him to see in the light after being in pitch black darkness for weeks. Also, we don't/didn't have a cover over the intake. Never had a problem with it before. Now it's meshed and rubberbanded lol. I hope he lives. Being in the 4 gallon will be nice for him for now. Gentler flow, no food competition, etc.

Wow....that IS a miracle! He probably had some pods or something to eat in there. I hope he pulls through!!!! fingerscrossed

He was dead this morning :( The current made him tired. I noticed last night as I was going to bed that it was starting to just push him around. Turned it down but still no luck. Poor little guy.

Yea, may go pick me up another clownfish today. They have a nice ocellaris pair at TFB. They're large so I know they're older too. Or maybe they got a new order in. Last time I was there the clownfish selection was pretty sad.

No babies this weekend so I can actually look around without worrying about them touching things they aren't supposed to, and without my arms hurting because we usually hold them in the store.

So, got some new clowns to ease my heartache! I figured I have a BTA now, I need 1 (or 2) clownfish to host it (hopefully). Anywho, went to the fish store since with husband since I'm childless this weekend. Found 2 beautiful tank raised clownfish. They were very, very orange and much bigger than the juveniles I typically see at the store. Also they were sticking together. Not a mated pair or anything, maybe someday but for now they're just good frands. :D Without further ado, Frick and Frack! BTW, they were advertised as "mocha" clowns but I call bullshit. Still, they're a beautiful, deep red orange and fat as can be.

During acclimation

dsc01320j.jpg

Swimming around

dsc01327z.jpg

dsc01325y.jpg

The lobo is really mad. We were/are having a cyano issue and the cyano was creeping up on it. It's been moved into a moderately higher flow area.

Their new BTA courtesy of Morgan. It's big and it's beautiful and it loves its new home.

dsc01329m.jpg

Good view of the anemone area. Rock/maxi mini/BTA

dsc01324qf.jpg

The maxi mini anemone has doubled in size from a week ago...probably because it's used to the tank now!

Reef Goddess

Looks super nice, glad that one is doing well! If anyone wants an Allardi clown hmu, I have one that keeps harassing my Bartlett harem. :furious:

So, got some new clowns to ease my heartache! I figured I have a BTA now, I need 1 (or 2) clownfish to host it (hopefully). Anywho, went to the fish store since with husband since I'm childless this weekend. Found 2 beautiful tank raised clownfish. They were very, very orange and much bigger than the juveniles I typically see at the store. Also they were sticking together. Not a mated pair or anything, maybe someday but for now they're just good frands. :D Without further ado, Frick and Frack! BTW, they were advertised as "mocha" clowns but I call bullshit. Still, they're a beautiful, deep red orange and fat as can be.

During acclimation

dsc01320j.jpg

Swimming around

dsc01327z.jpgdsc01325y.jpg

The lobo is really mad. We were/are having a cyano issue and the cyano was creeping up on it. It's been moved into a moderately higher flow area.

Their new BTA courtesy of Morgan. It's big and it's beautiful and it loves its new home.

dsc01329m.jpg

Good view of the anemone area. Rock/maxi mini/BTA

dsc01324qf.jpg

The maxi mini anemone has doubled in size from a week ago...probably because it's used to the tank now!

Is that a red favia or chalice that is receding? Get that baby on the sandbed in partial shade. :)

Red lobo. It's been in there a few months and just started the receding. We had a cyano outbreak and the cyano slowly moved up the lobo and I think that's what caused it to recede partially. It's on the sandbed now and seems to be doing better. Also, got the clownfish out of the canister filter (RIP Peter), changed out 14 gallons of water in the past week, added the skimmer, and adjusted the flow. I think we may have to buy a new powerhead. It keeps doing this weird thing where it sucks in air from the front and blows it out the sides. I wish we could get an MP10 but that will have to wait. The red lobo is about to get some TLC. I've been concentrating on the new clowns to much since I noticed they were sick after purchase. Two dips in quick cure and 2 freshwater baths have them doing much better already though.

Looks super nice, glad that one is doing well! If anyone wants an Allardi clown hmu, I have one that keeps harassing my Bartlett harem. :furious:

It's doing wonderful! Clownfish haven't noticed it at all, but they're also in the process of getting better from whatever ailed them (either marine velvet or brooklynella). Scared the crap out of my husband when it shrunk to take a big poop the other night and he couldn't find it lol.

• 1 month later...

FTS:

docr.jpg

If you notice the lobo is gone, that's because it has receded. I've kept the skeleton (and what little bit of tissue is left) in the tank in hopes of a miraculous comeback.

1ph.jpg

The anemone side of the tank. The rock anemone has gotten HUGE and it's starting to show white stripes on its fingers. The bubble tip had just finished eating, and while it hasn't grown too much it's still fairly large. I'm waiting for a split for Lani :D Some mushrooms migrated from their garden to that side of the tank as well, and say hello to one of the 3 starfish inhabitants!

v1hm.jpg

t5go.jpg

This is our new fish, Martha the yellow target mandarin. She's got beautiful colors, and is flawless. She was also pretty plump at the LFS, which is why we didn't hesitate (too much) to buy her. She's only about 2 inches long, and we've been offering her different kinds of food several times a day to see which one she will choose. It's still touch and go though. She seems interested, but for the most part she is just picking at rocks right now. We bought Rod's fish food for her, we have some Arctic pods, and Spirulina mysis/brine/veggie mix as well to offer. If that doesn't work I can buy bottles of live pods from my LFS, and I may go ask them for a chunk of their chaeto from their refugiums which I'm sure is a breeding ground.

yjt5.jpg

Look at how the zoanthids/palys have grown! They look so happy. Also the grape frogspawn made a comeback! Figured out we had it too close to the octo and it was getting a little miffed. Also, look at that candy cane polyp growth!

ibpg.jpg

Top down shot to show the growth. The neon green star polyps and Lani's purple star polyps are doing a great job of growing and merging together. I think our next few purchases are going to focus on filling out the zoanthid/paly area. I want some green cinnamon palys, but I may buy the lavender and brown ones from the LFS.

5hqy.jpg

Probably my clearest photo yet. The maxi mini carpet is growing great too, but for some reason it keeps half of its body sucked in the rock so it's never a full circle.

ceva.jpg

Mushroom area. Ricordeas are continuing to split...and I think I spotted a new duncan head the other day. It's hard to tell though because we have our massive protein skimmer on that side of the tank. We're waiting until we repaint the dining room to move the tank and put the skimmer behind it.

3rbv.jpg

The clownfish are hams in this tank. Look at dat pose! The lightning clove polyps are close to going up the wall and I'm really excited. I really want some papya cloves and some green cloves to fill out that area, eventually! Also, I don't know how to tell if my clownfish have paired up, but in the past month or so one has gotten a lot larger than the other one and I've been seeing some mating dances. It's pretty fun to watch!

Awesome update!!! Your tank is growing in so nicely!!! :happydance:

I LOVE Martha :D Is she named for Martha Stewart? LOL. I would do that :lol: Looks like your "mocha" clowns might actually be mochas! I see at least one is looking darker.

Thanks for updating us...I've been wondering how things are going for you. :)

Awesome update!!! Your tank is growing in so nicely!!! :happydance:

I LOVE Martha :D Is she named for Martha Stewart? LOL. I would do that :lol: Looks like your "mocha" clowns might actually be mochas! I see at least one is looking darker.

Thanks for updating us...I've been wondering how things are going for you. :)

Yea, they look darker now that they aren't fuzzy and sick. They're very friendly piggies. Any time my husband or I walk to the tank they come to the surface begging for food. Even the firefish are getting friendlier. And Martha isn't scared of anything it seems lol. She just looked at my turkey baster full of food for her and didn't swim away at all. She didn't eat that I saw either, but I'm working on it.

Archived