Pod Your Reef

Tinkering (leds installed! with pics)

tinkerer

the kenya that was free of a plug has taken root in a small hole i stuck it in and is growing well. the xenia on the small shell is growing onto the larger shell. i got the frogspawn to eat a small piece of shrimp tonight. the brown polyps are pushing out a new piece to grow a new head and the yellow polyps are going crazy. i am like a kid in a candy store. i picked up a ric today that i found on the TCMAS site, it is about to split into two heads. i gave the guy some of the ever growing chaeto and he gave me an almost double even though i only paid him for a single. so i owe you one more. it is hard to tell in the pic but the macro looks thick and healthy and i can't wait for it to grow out. damn wrasse ate so much shrimp tonight as i was feeding the pistol/goby and the corals that his belly got fat, the wrasse is a pig. the clowns even got in on the action. it was hard to find a local source for the mochas, but discovery aquatics came through for me in the end. the pair is perfect and the color on them is great. the female tries to host some of the hair algae on the back wall from time to time. god i love this!

Watch those yellow polyps they are fun to watch and look great but spread quickly. I would put them on a rock that you can control them on.

What color is the ric?

I ordered another clean up crew. I have been having increasing algae problems, starting to get some gha now. My army of cerith snails got wiped out in my food escapade. They used to be everywhere working hard and now there is none. Just shells on the bottom. I will probably have some extras John at reefcleaners usually sends extras. I'll let you know.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the ric is green wit purple ring on the outside. i was thinking of a reef cleaners order as well in the near future. the emerald crab i have does a decent job of cleaning the rocks but the back wall is a different story. i have scraped it a time or two and need to do it again. my protein skimmer that i added 2 or three weeks ago is finally pushing out solid foam, no more dirty water for me.

the ric is green wit purple ring on the outside. i was thinking of a reef cleaners order as well in the near future. the emerald crab i have does a decent job of cleaning the rocks but the back wall is a different story. i have scraped it a time or two and need to do it again. my protein skimmer that i added 2 or three weeks ago is finally pushing out solid foam, no more dirty water for me.

Which skimmer did you go with?

despite the ridicule i will receive here, i threw a BC skimmer into chamber one. i know, i know. i actually got it to dissect it so i could make my own skimmer. i threw it in the tank as a what the hell kinda thing. initially it didn't do crap, after a week i started getting dirty water and this week i started getting a real nice foam. with as good as it seems to be working i may end up just leaving it for a bit. after all the negative reviews of the thing i had no expectations, but this is ok.

my levels before my WC today were 0/0/0. after my WC i am guessing 0/0/0. i am going to let the corals i have grow out for right now, and i am done with fish. i will be dropping some more snails in the next few weeks as i never got to the reefcleaners suggested 29 gal CUC. kinda using that as a reference. still want to find some nice zoa frags to grow out, but i am done with corals for right now.

despite the ridicule i will receive here, i threw a BC skimmer into chamber one. i know, i know. i actually got it to dissect it so i could make my own skimmer. i threw it in the tank as a what the hell kinda thing. initially it didn't do crap, after a week i started getting dirty water and this week i started getting a real nice foam. with as good as it seems to be working i may end up just leaving it for a bit. after all the negative reviews of the thing i had no expectations, but this is ok.

If it works for you then great. In general I think all the small skimmers are a little temperamental. You see complaints about all of them. Mine will be running great for a long time, then one day it will be full of water.

I honestly don't think you need one with regular water changes but I like the extra security. It does pull gunk out.

it stopped foaming with my WC tonight, i half expected it though. i have started to think about drilling out the back for an overflow and making my 10g AGA into a sump/fuge. my mind is ever atwitter with grand plans, half of them come to fruition.

it stopped foaming with my WC tonight, i half expected it though. i have started to think about drilling out the back for an overflow and making my 10g AGA into a sump/fuge. my mind is ever atwitter with grand plans, half of them come to fruition.

Half? You're doing better than me! :lol:

Awesome, I have stocked way too fast and my tank is still running like a champ. Hindsite is 20/20, I know I went too fast, but I have been obsessive about testing and as you know I freak out when something is out of place. I am having a hard time organizing my corals and figuring out how I want them all. I am seeing steady growth so I am happy. I am going into a growout phase for a bit. ;)

ApiratenamedJohn
Tink, I think you're the most enthusiastic reefer on the forum...I love to read your updates!

Keep up the good work :)

+10

One of my favorites.

my wife admitted last night that she knows i will start 50% of the things i set my mind to and finish half of them, she is ok with it for right now. at least until she finds out about the kitplane. ;)

http://sdplanes.com/sd1a.htm

Yeah, my wife knows about my kit plane desire. It'll be a retirement project for me. I like the RV-10 and I've actually taken a test ride in the Velocity.

+10

One of my favorites.

thanks for the love! gonna feed a shrimp to the tank tonight. it is always an exciting time.

Tink, I think you're the most enthusiastic reefer on the forum...I love to read your updates!

Keep up the good work :)

-Gravy

thanks for the love, not sure how i missed this one, but i got it now. thanks for the google sketch.

so the yellow polyps that were donated to me are already growing over the plug. i also got a small rock with two yellow polyps on it. one polyp broke free and magically moved to the other side of the tank, damn. i can't get a hold on him where he is at, gonna have to get some forceps tomorrow and grab the little bugger. i moved the zoa frag as well and now the damn snails keep pushing it over, that damn thing is getting glued tonight! loctite here i come!

EDIT: OH! almost forgot, i get paid tomorrow and i'm in a BRS group buy right now. gonna burn somma that cash. good think i get my bank statements online and the wife doesn't have the password... :lol:

so the yellow polyps that were donated to me are already growing over the plug. i also got a small rock with two yellow polyps on it. one polyp broke free and magically moved to the other side of the tank, damn. i can't get a hold on him where he is at, gonna have to get some forceps tomorrow and grab the little bugger. i moved the zoa frag as well and now the damn snails keep pushing it over, that damn thing is getting glued tonight! loctite here i come!

EDIT: OH! almost forgot, i get paid tomorrow and i'm in a BRS group buy right now. gonna burn somma that cash. good think i get my bank statements online and the wife doesn't have the password... :lol:

Hope she doesn't read NR! Whatcha gonna get? Do they let you go pick it up for instant gratification? I just have mine shipped and I get them the next day.

Those polyps are very virile. Pluck the little bugger if you don't want him there. You want some more? I think two grow back for every one you frag! Maybe I should put them in my pico and have a yellow polyp tank! I could start with one and see how many grow in a year.

i grab stuff on lunch since i work close enough, i need the instant gratification. i am getting one of the new red sea test kits, they look cool with the new titrator. a bucket of salt, a pair of forceps, and a digi thermometer to round out the purchase. down the line i will prolly invest in a reef keeper, but not until after the LED upgrade. i am gonna let everything grow out for a bit and gauge how nutrient consumption goes, see how growth goes and see what i can learn from the exercise. for at least a couple weeks i am going to stay where i am so that i can get fairly reliable data to work with.

i grab stuff on lunch since i work close enough, i need the instant gratification. i am getting one of the new red sea test kits, they look cool with the new titrator. a bucket of salt, a pair of forceps, and a digi thermometer to round out the purchase. down the line i will prolly invest in a reef keeper, but not until after the LED upgrade. i am gonna let everything grow out for a bit and gauge how nutrient consumption goes, see how growth goes and see what i can learn from the exercise. for at least a couple weeks i am going to stay where i am so that i can get fairly reliable data to work with.

Buy the Reefkeeper and add an alc when you get the leds. It is so nice to have the temp controlled and the piece of mind you won't cook your tank. Plus feeding time is great you can just push a button and shut all your pumps down. Love the automation. Watch the for sale lists, or craigs list and pick up a used one for cheap. You won't regret it.

Buy the Reefkeeper and add an alc when you get the leds. It is so nice to have the temp controlled and the piece of mind you won't cook your tank. Plus feeding time is great you can just push a button and shut all your pumps down. Love the automation. Watch the for sale lists, or craigs list and pick up a used one for cheap. You won't regret it.

Which version do you have? I have been trolling craigslist and ebay. Not sure if I want the L1 or 3. Gotta dig around a bit and figure out what I need.

+1 on a controller. Check out the Apex line as well. I started with the Apex Jr for only $150. My wife thought it was awesome that I could turn lights off and on for her from work. As a bonus, I put the Christmas tree lights on it as well!

Let me know how you like the Red Sea test kit. I'm looking to get a better set of kits and have been looking at those as well.

Which version do you have? I have been trolling craigslist and ebay. Not sure if I want the L1 or 3. Gotta dig around a bit and figure out what I need.

I started with the L1 then have added to it. I still need to get the net module, and the sl2. Then it will be set up the way I want it. The apex jr was not out when I got my reefkeeper or I probably would have bought it, just because of the phone app. :)

So, got the BRS stuff today. First impression of the red sea test kit is good. Like the titrator jig with the screw in bottles, everything seems sturdy, and tests are easy. On the down side I need calcium. Now I know, off to the lfs tomorrow I guess. Digi thermometer will be set up tonight and the rogue yellow polyp will be snatched with the new forceps. For those interested in the red sea kit it is about $5 cheaper on group buy. Very happy with todays purchase.

great thread, its been a please to follow along. I am in initial stocking mode on my BC29. having fun.... more to come. Great work on yours, thank you for sharing your adventure!

Archived