Cultivated Reef

Tinkering (leds installed! with pics)

tinkerer

I have GSP too. :) Just remember me down the road when you have some really cool zoas your fraging! PM me when you want some. They are really hardy I have them growing in all three of my tanks like crazy.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i am a pay it forward kind of guy, kindness will always be met with kindness. if i find any hidden treasures, you will get the first frag. :)

ApiratenamedJohn

I didn't add any corals to my first tank till about 5 months in. I was just playing it safe. I think you should be fine at a month.

so i have come to notice that the hair algae i have is really Byropsis. it is still incredibly spotty but seems to have small patches on just about every rock. i also am getting some cyano on a couple of my upper rocks. the cyano is just a couple little dots. i am pulling for the new chaeto to suck the life outta this stuff while the CUC beats it back. i am going to guess that whatever phosphates in the tank came from the bottle of distilled water i used to top off. had to use it up figured what the hell. a mistake that will not be made again. i will monitor both of them and if either gets big enough to grab ahold of i will go manual removal. right now though it is all so small i am not too worried, just want to stay one step ahead of it if i can. on a more positive note, the diatoms are in check now thanks to my snail crew and my coraline is starting to go crazy on a few of the pieces of LR. watching the coraline spread across the one rock in particular is a daily event to see how far it has gone. neglected to get my film developed this last weekend, and with mandatory OT at work it'll be a couple weeks before i get the time to attend to the photos. should have more than enough to satiate the curious at that point.

so here is a new FTS, i am kinda sad that it looks boring, but i have some of the rocks just set in there for the CUC. i have been moving things to get them to clean them up. should have a better idea in the next weeks.

384955_328544507160202_100000139671591_1450463_786312266_n.jpg

ApiratenamedJohn
so here is a new FTS, i am kinda sad that it looks boring, but i have some of the rocks just set in there for the CUC. i have been moving things to get them to clean them up. should have a better idea in the next weeks.

384955_328544507160202_100000139671591_1450463_786312266_n.jpg

Looks sick! That's close to what I've got going on too. Lol I will be moving mine around more too though. How'd you get that rock to hang out so far? Or is it just leaning on the glass?

There is an overhang there that it is wedged into and it just barely touches the glass. Not quite sure what to do with that one yet

There is an overhang there that it is wedged into and it just barely touches the glass. Not quite sure what to do with that one yet

You will get annoyed by algae growing around the rock touching the glass. Just an FYI! :D

Easier to move it now so you can mag float it.

I know, I have been shifting things to transport the CUC the last couple days. I am going to move it again tonight off the glass since the CUC has no more hotspots to get

You will get annoyed by algae growing around the rock touching the glass. Just an FYI! :D

Easier to move it now so you can mag float it.

+1 you will want enough room to get your mag cleaner through. I switched to the 2 little fishies nanomag works better imo, and gets into smaller spaces than the mag float.

Hi Tinkerer,

Good job on the scape! Good job staying patient. Use that patience when you are dealing with GHA or other bothersome pests. I had a thread with my old 1.5 gallon where I battled GHA for months, eventually it went away, but it was a pain. Not everyone goes through that, but in any case, perseverance and patience are good traits to have in this hobby.

Keep up the good work, i will be following along.

it will surprise and delight.

Brian

so the Byropsis does not seem to be gaining any ground and the couple little clumps i could get a pinch on have not grown back after being ripped out of their former home. the cyano seems to be receding as well as the CUC roams around more freely now. the coraline continues to go nots and seems to be spreading to the dry rock in spots.

the Byropsis is completely off the rocks as far as i can tell now, and what was on the glass is turning a sick yellow-brown color. through a combination of controlling how much light the tank gets and throwing the chaeto in there to remove any thing else i seem to have it deep in remission. the cyano is just about gone as well except a couple more small spots. it feels good to beat back these two invaders, and it gives me a little more confidence in what i am doing and how i am going about it.

0/0/5 now and over the last couple days the nitrate has been slowly dropping, not that it ever got that high. i have been spot feeding the NAS and the hermit (found one out of his shell dead) and still not seeing any spikes in the tank. gonna go out and find a frag this weekend to drop in the tank. as i said before, i am going to look for a zoa or GSP. i think these should be the most hardy to start with, and the params have been stable now for a month or so. the byropsis on the glass has gone away with a good scrubbing, it was turning a funky color anyways. also, i started with one fan worm on one of my LR, about two weeks ago it split into two fan worms and tonight i noticed it has become four fan worms. it is nice to see something in the tank doing well enough to multiply.

0/0/5 now and over the last couple days the nitrate has been slowly dropping, not that it ever got that high. i have been spot feeding the NAS and the hermit (found one out of his shell dead) and still not seeing any spikes in the tank. gonna go out and find a frag this weekend to drop in the tank. as i said before, i am going to look for a zoa or GSP. i think these should be the most hardy to start with, and the params have been stable now for a month or so. the byropsis on the glass has gone away with a good scrubbing, it was turning a funky color anyways. also, i started with one fan worm on one of my LR, about two weeks ago it split into two fan worms and tonight i noticed it has become four fan worms. it is nice to see something in the tank doing well enough to multiply.

Get some extra shells for the hermits that they can grow into. My LFS gave me a bunch for free. The dead one may have grown out of his.

not today, i work on saturdays, i am gonna check around a bit tomorrow near me and then on monday go down south. i do love having mondays and tuesdays off, but i hate working saturdays.

EDIT: and to redstag, i am sure he did not, he was the smaller of the two and his shell was as big as the larger hermit. at least my guess by visual inspection of the shell and the body leads me to believe it was just a bad hermit.

found a nice little frag at my first shop today. will look at a couple more tomorrow. 1.5 hours to equalize temp to my tank, a quick dip forced an amphipod and a strange slug/snail thing out of the rock, and into the tank for an hour before i turned on some lights. as soon as i hit the lights it jumped out to say hi.

EDIT: hard to tell from this pic, but it is green on the outside edge, a blue inner ring and a bright orange center. upon checking a couple sites, possibly dragon eyes? not sure, but it looks right to me. there are experts who can offer better opinions i'm sure.

firstzoa.jpg

Looks good! I would say dragon eyes too. I picked up some of those this weekend too! I had some but wanted a frag for my pico. Take a look at www.thedigitalfishroom.com It is a local guy up in Little Canada. He said I could do a pick up just waiting to hear when I can go up there. Some really cool stuff!

so, went to salt water empire. nice shop, but his cheap tank was just about barren. he did have some nice stuff for $40+ but i do not consider it a frag when it has it's own piece of rock. went to ocean devotion also, frag tank wasn't tilted toward cheaper frags either, but they did have some nice stuff. my wife picked out a duncan that is not terribly big, but it has 6 heads for $30. i think the duncan should be fine, and i am done adding to the tank for a couple weeks at least. everything still looks stable as far as params go and all the living things look happy. the hermit decide to upgrade his shell with one of the new ones i dropped in there and the snails just chug along looking for anything they can find. back to the duncan, i got it home this afternoon and the same system as the zoa. 1.5 hour temp adjust in the bag, 4 minute dip with coral rx, and this time about 30 minutes without lights. he is now open, not as much as in the frag tank, but all six heads are open and look good.

EDIT: i believe it to be a giant green polyp duncan. will post pics once it opens a little bigger for confirmation.

i fed the two bigger heads a pellet each. they both took them readily and proceeded to open up as completely as they were in the frag tank at the shop.

duncan.jpg

So, I waited three hours and gave the two big heads another pellet (size of a pin head pellets) and gave the four smaller heads one pellet each. Duncan looks fat and happy, as big if not bigger than in the frag tank at the shop. I am glad to see the corals responding well and looking healthy in a short time after acclimation.

So, I waited three hours and gave the two big heads another pellet (size of a pin head pellets) and gave the four smaller heads one pellet each. Duncan looks fat and happy, as big if not bigger than in the frag tank at the shop. I am glad to see the corals responding well and looking healthy in a short time after acclimation.

Good deal! Like you I feel much more comfortable when corals finally open fully. I've also been blessed that corals seem to open more in my tank then when I saw them at purchase time. This has been true of my acan, frogspawn, and hammer coral especially.

Looks like things are coming along fine!

Archived