Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Tinkering (leds installed! with pics)

tinkerer

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just got in the door and wanted to push out some info. so, here is what i have so far...

1 x Heatsink 5.886 inch

(Length (Inches): 9)

1 x DIM4 - 4 Port LED Sunrise/Sunset Controller V1.0

12 x Bridgelux Neutral White - 4500K

18 x Bridgelux Royal Blue - 455nm

2 x Deep Red - 660nm (Optic Angle: 120)

2 x Turquoise - 495nm (Optic Angle: 120)

2 x True Violet LED - 420nm (Optic Angle: 120)

1 x Solid Wire 24awg (300 volt) - 25 feet - Black

i also have some ELN-60-48D ordered to push the whole thing.

at least for the short term i am going to control the lights with the dim4 controller until i get some cash for a good reef monitor. i have not had enough time as of late to figure out the google sketch well enough to make a good mockup so i do not have a cool pick, but i will post my awesome hand drawn version a little later.

so, this is my first layout, i am going to start by not using all of the leds and figure out if i want to run more. it is drawn to scale and the leds i just drew a 20mm box. the grid lines show the center of each possible led. i have decided to put the red and turquoise in the middle and close since they need to blend and the violets just outside of them. since those colors will all be 120* i should get good coverage. the rest for starters will be 14 RB and 8 NW for right now and i will adjust as i test it out.

led.jpg

question for the masses... how do i attach a macro to the rock? the flame algae i have is growing out and i want to get it set up somewhere, do i just have to wedge it in the rock or can i use something?

question for the masses... how do i attach a macro to the rock? the flame algae i have is growing out and i want to get it set up somewhere, do i just have to wedge it in the rock or can i use something?

If you find a good way let me know. I tried super glue, it worked for about 3 weeks then it failed. I tried setting rubble on it and eventually it got loose. I finally just drilled a hole in a shell and tied it with fishing line to the shell. That has held it but I just have the shell buried in the sand bed not on rock.

I can't wait to see your lights. I have been wanting to add some colors just for fun. I am really happy with mine but you know how it goes always looking to change something. I would put the red and turq right next to other lights so they blend. If you use them in place of other colors you end up with color spoting. Or so I have read.

I just ordered an acrylic frag tank... I think I am addicted to building. Trying to decide if I want to keep it AIO or add a sump...hmm.

i have been thinking that i will eventually go with a sump. i have been thinking of condensing the leds and leaving the expansion areas on the outside, everything is constantly being refined. none of my order has been shipped yet so i have some time to refine the plan. also, the violet ones are pre-order so i am not quite sure how long till they show up. i got a couple zoas today at DA, i'll post some pics after temp acclimation and dip.

EDIT: dip produced some good die off on the bigger one. got a couple good size amphipods and a couple strange almost snail slug type things and some small red shrimp that looked like mysis. i feel wayyyyyy better when i dip because i have some assurance that this crap isn't getting into my tank. not that it is all bad, but better safe than sorry.

so, new zoas, the only ones i know are the eagle eyes, they are mixed with some cool bright green zoas on the small rock. the other rock... i have no clue.

newzoa1.jpg

newzoa2.jpg

on a side note, i am getting some cyano. i scraped that $H*T off. well see how it goes... WC tomorrow. did all of my testing today, and i mean all. ph 8.2, A 0, trite 0, trate 0, mg 1250, cal 400, alk 10. the alk is a little low for my taste and the calcium i have not dosed in a couple days but it has been around 430 for the most part. i do not for the life of me know why i didn't do this sooner, to anybody new reading this, you just gotta plan and then jump in. you'll never know till ya get your feet wet.

Vildayyan2003

Hello, I just read every single post and reply on this thread and thoroughly enjoyed and learned from every single one of them. I also learned alot from the "blog" type posts as they do healp us new folks out quite a bit! I hope to add water to my tank this weekend and see what happens! :) Thanks for everything Tink!

Vildayyan2003
Hello, I just read every single post and reply on this thread and thoroughly enjoyed and learned from every single one of them. I also learned alot from the "blog" type posts as they do healp us new folks out quite a bit! I hope to add water to my tank this weekend and see what happens! :) Thanks for everything Tink!

P.S. Don't try to type replies while drunk :) I just learned that!

P.S. Don't try to type replies while drunk :) I just learned that!

i do it all the time, no worries. let me know what your thread is so i can follow it, i love to add my 2 cents. thanks for looking!

Those polyps are very virile. Pluck the little bugger if you don't want him there. You want some more? I think two grow back for every one you frag! Maybe I should put them in my pico and have a yellow polyp tank! I could start with one and see how many grow in a year.

:o i want a polyp!

cool pic of the fishy Tink. The scape looks like a wasp with wings. :)

AHHHHH! got a shot of the pistol/goby. pic sucks, i was messing with the wrong lens and saw them out. took the pic anyways.

gobypistol.jpg

:o i want a polyp!

cool pic of the fishy Tink. The scape looks like a wasp with wings. :)

i have been trying to decide what it was, i think you found the answer. :)

You didn't seem to excited to have a DSLR to shoot photos of your tank with. Tell us what you got. Those images look like they were shot in RAW without post processing. This gives them more of a washed out look.

If you do not post process then you could try shooting in Jpeg and play with the on board noise reduction, contrast, etc. For good Post Processing software I would recommend lightroom 3. Photoshop is really for the advanced image editing.

For the first photos, those do look like good shots. I took me a while and about 3000 shots it seemed before I actually learned to get the shots and the image I wanted. As for the FTS... I really like this aquascape a lot. It's exactly what I think an aquascape should be with a whole lotta good looks added.

Did you glue the rock together?

Archived