ReefCleaners.org

Tinkering (leds installed! with pics)

tinkerer

awesome! it took them about 5 seconds to find one another and decide on a place to call home (at least temporarily). like some of ya'll said, the wrasse is not happy. he went from peaceful to pain in the butt in no time, he is picking at everything now. any suggestions? i spent about five minutes chasing him with a net to give the pistol/goby time to build and they now seem safe in their little cave. will he calm down? will the pistol pinch him? good lord, can't we all just get along?

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

updated the first post to add current creatures...

so far in the tank:

Dragon eye zoa

Duncan

Torch

3 hermits

2 Nassarius

several Nerites

several Ceriths

Emerald crab

Tiger pistol shrimp

Yellow watchman goby

Six line wrasse

ApiratenamedJohn

I have a strict "play nice or don't play at all" policy. So if he is causing problems I would just take him to an lfs. But that's just me. Two hermits and an emerald crab have been evicted because of this.

he has taken to defending "his" territory from his reflection. he may not be the brightest fish on earth, but i love him. all is at least calming down a bit, we'll see how it goes.

he has taken to defending "his" territory from his reflection. he may not be the brightest fish on earth, but i love him. all is at least calming down a bit, we'll see how it goes.

This doesn't bode well for the clowns though. Do you by chance have a QT or another tank? I'd banish him to another home, change the scape around a little, put the clowns in, and then put the wrasse back in. Mine has been the perfect tank mate but I bought him last. Well, except for the cleaner that he just ignores....

i am contemplating just such an action, for the clowns arrival. if he really pisses me off i'll banish him to the FW tank for a timeout.

Sweet! My YWG, who's more gray now than anything, is starting to build up some courage to the point where she'll swim around in the water column. Not for long and not all the time but she's spending more time outside her dwelling than in it.

went to do a system cleanout today and on one of the filter pads i found this little pinkish worm with a black strip on him on one of the pads. not quite sure what it was, i'll try to refine the crappy pic i got of it in a bit here. did my water change and the YWG freaked out. he started swimming all over the place near the top of the tank. i stayed as calm as i could and walked away for a bit, when i came back he was sitting on the bottom but not by his new den and he went right back to swimming up top for me. he has since calmed down and gone back to his hole with the tiger still pushing sand around. i am not sure if it was a feeding response or what, at least all seems well now. i have noticed that the two of them have even built a back door to the hole and seem to have removed most of the sand from under the rock. at least where they are now it make it easy to watch what they are doing.

no luck on the pic, i need a digi SLR, i am going to have to break down and do it eventually. sigh. as best as i can describe it, it was a small earthworm that looked like it had a clump of dirt in its gut. i know, it is worthless without pics. i will look around to see what i can dig up.

EDIT: could it possibly be a very small bristle worm? it had no legs on it that i could see, but it was only 1/16" long.

went to do a system cleanout today and on one of the filter pads i found this little pinkish worm with a black strip on him on one of the pads. not quite sure what it was, i'll try to refine the crappy pic i got of it in a bit here. did my water change and the YWG freaked out. he started swimming all over the place near the top of the tank. i stayed as calm as i could and walked away for a bit, when i came back he was sitting on the bottom but not by his new den and he went right back to swimming up top for me. he has since calmed down and gone back to his hole with the tiger still pushing sand around. i am not sure if it was a feeding response or what, at least all seems well now. i have noticed that the two of them have even built a back door to the hole and seem to have removed most of the sand from under the rock. at least where they are now it make it easy to watch what they are doing.

My YWG has 4 or 5 ways out of his main cave. Both through rock and sand. Pretty amazing what they can do.

no luck on the pic, i need a digi SLR, i am going to have to break down and do it eventually. sigh. as best as i can describe it, it was a small earthworm that looked like it had a clump of dirt in its gut. i know, it is worthless without pics. i will look around to see what i can dig up.

EDIT: could it possibly be a very small bristle worm? it had no legs on it that i could see, but it was only 1/16" long.

Peanut worm? Pretty sure I had one but I tossed it since I wasn't sure. I'm a when in doubt throw it out kind of guy. I have saved some amphipods though. Save is a relative term though as they all end up getting eaten by my wrasse.....

the wrasse has calmed down today. i fed them all some mysis and the goby and the sixline barely noticed each other. thank god! after looking at pics, i do think it was a very small peanut worm. the tiger has taken to clearing all the sand out of the cave, he is working to glass and doing a good job. for the most part the goby has taken to watching the front entrance. it is nice to see him out and about, not just cowering in fear inside the fort. i told my kids that the shrimp and the goby were friends and they would build a fort together under the rock. the kids love to see the pistol pushing sand and the goby standing watch. i have to admit that i even think it is amazing to see two creatures that never knew each other working so well together. good to see my tank responding so well to the new addition.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!! i about had a heart attack tonight. i saw what i thought was my new pistol sitting at the front of the cave earlier and then again just now. i tried to get him to move to see if he was still alive. i was terrified as i pulled his body from the cave. i looked at it closely for about 5 minutes and realized that it was a discarded shell. he shed! god i want to see him well. i checked the body i pulled out and it is completely hollow. no guts, just shell. the goby and pistol have gone into hiding tonight. please someone with a pair tell me i am not going crazy. he will be ok right? good lord i know why MetroKat is so crazy about her tank, tonight i am feeling it. he would not shed if he was not doing ok right? oh lord, i need Kat or Kgoldy on speed dial tonight. someone tell me i am ok.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!! i about had a heart attack tonight. i saw what i thought was my new pistol sitting at the front of the cave earlier and then again just now. i tried to get him to move to see if he was still alive. i was terrified as i pulled his body from the cave. i looked at it closely for about 5 minutes and realized that it was a discarded shell. he shed! god i want to see him well. i checked the body i pulled out and it is completely hollow. no guts, just shell. the goby and pistol have gone into hiding tonight. please someone with a pair tell me i am not going crazy. he will be ok right? good lord i know why MetroKat is so crazy about her tank, tonight i am feeling it. he would not shed if he was not doing ok right? oh lord, i need Kat or Kgoldy on speed dial tonight. someone tell me i am ok.

Welcome to your first molt! Had the same reaction with my hermit crab and cleaner shrimp.

I have calmed down since last night. Still a little paranoid that he decided to molt one day after introduction to the tank. I hope he pops back out soon. I'll feel a lot better then. Thanks for all the reassurance.

I have calmed down since last night. Still a little paranoid that he decided to molt one day after introduction to the tank. I hope he pops back out soon. I'll feel a lot better then. Thanks for all the reassurance.

When I bought my cleaner shrimp they had one with a molt in its little section and the owner said "Let's give you another one since it just molted and needs a couple days to recover." The one I bought molted the next night. That freaked me out a bit but all was well.

Just got home from work, so I am planning on a beer or three. Still no sign of either but I am at least a little calmer tonight.

whew! good news, today i got home to notice a new cave under a different rock. so at least the tiger is still digging.

EDIT: i am sure it was the tiger due to the volume and distance the sand was pushed.

Archived