inTank Media Baskets

Pico Tank and Setup @ Walmart.com

gupebreedr

Thanks for the heads up on that. :) I'm sure a soft paper towel would have to be better then any mag. type cleaner????? I've got a NanoMag that has already scratched my 10 G glass tank.

You know, I keep forgetting about a toothbrush. Thanks for reminding about that. I'll have to buy a soft one next time I go shopping. :)

Keep those thoughts, idea, and suggestions coming!!!!!!

I worked for Luxottica for three years (they make sunglasses/eyeglasses) It's one of those weird facts that yes indeed paper products will scratch acrylic, plastics, and polycarbonates.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im glad you started a walmart pico thread. I was hoping we would share what the heck were doing with em lol

I still have no clue of what im doing with mine haha

You know, I keep forgetting about a toothbrush. Thanks for reminding about that. I'll have to buy a soft one next time I go shopping. :)

I was going to buy a magnet cleaner for it, but decided that it's just all too small to be moving something that size around (small ends up being large in something that size). The toothbrush worked well and just took a couple of minutes.

I'll update my thread with my most recent addition. I've had my 3 gallon going for about a month now.

I love that Wallmart has injected a new burst of life into the Pico forum! haha. gupe, thanks for the offer but I was mostly joking, shipping would be a btch to get that here, probably $50+. I am jealous though ... I fancy something like this as a QT or frag tank.

Well, at the original price of $87 it is no wonder they are on clearance. They are much more reasonable at $30 and they are pretty nice for a desk or whatever. I am considering using the one I bought for my desk at work, but also thinking of getting one to give to a friend as a birthday present (as in happy birthday enjoy this pico tank and the obligations that go with maintaining it).

Glad to see more of ya'll jumping in on the bandwagon. Be sure to keep us posted and pic's would be nice too.

I am super tempted to get one!

Awe, go ahead, you know you want to. . . It's not a bad little setup for that price.... B)

Hey, anyone know where one can buy an acitinic light bulb for this fixture? I'd like to use it as moonlight as I already have an old Marineland LED fixture I plan to use for this.

Wow,

I'm just amazed on how many reefers ordered a Tom Deco 2... omgomgomg

Mike,

It appears like there is a growing interest in keeping pico's. The Tom Deco 2 is a great way for someone to get their feet wet without spending a ton of money to do it. I really believe that once someone finds an interest in them that they may want to someday upgrade to a better system such as yours and that 's where you and your website should become very popular. I'm finding that there is still a serious need of items suited strictly for pico owners. I would be happy to share some of my thoughts/ideas with you privately if you are interested. fingerscrossed

Rob

I just ordered one online. I am a noob and set up my Biocube 14 about two months ago....everything is going well...have a clownfish and YWG along with several coral (frogspawns are growing out of control). The reason I got this was for a QT. So....I've never had a QT tank.....my question is, should I have this thing continually running even thought my fish are not sick? If I do get a sick fish, can't I just scoop out 2 gallons of water from my Biocube and then turn the tank on and transfer the fish in there to give him meds? IWhat is the best approach?

Pico/Nano Tank Kit @ Walmart.com

Okay, I was browsing around Walmart.com and I found this nano/pico tank setup kit. I'm sure it's the same as "Tom Deco Kit 2 Gallon Acrylic Nano Tank", at least it has the same specs but branded under a different name.. If your looking for an inexpensive setup this may be a great way to start or add another if your are already a reefer. Hey and the best part is it's on clearance for $30.00. :bling::happydance:omgomgomg I ordered mine this morning, paid $2.99 for delivery and with tax and the total came to $35.07. How can you beat that?????

Thanks for the cool tip! Just ordered one. Due for in store pick up at the end of the month!

Those of you that already got the kit, how and where will a heater go?

I was thinking of putting the tank on a petmate heater.

Might work if there is enough surface area on the bottom of the tank in contact with the mat. Perhaps one of those small tetra heaters. The other thing is to just see if the lights make enough heat on there own.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Mike,

It appears like there is a growing interest in keeping pico's. The Tom Deco 2 is a great way for someone to get their feet wet without spending a ton of money to do it. I really believe that once someone finds an interest in them that they may want to someday upgrade to a better system such as yours and that 's where you and your website should become very popular. I'm finding that there is still a serious need of items suited strictly for pico owners. I would be happy to share some of my thoughts/ideas with you privately if you are interested. fingerscrossed

Rob

Hi Rob,

Absolutely agree with you 100 percent. I am a hobbyist 1st and foremost and I'm not about becoming rich from my website, in fact, I am a college instructor that decided to do Micro-Reefs LLC to keep my feet in the hobby.

I mean, I have a passion with saltwater and this allows me to justify it to my significant other, women rule the roost where I'm from, I comply with her and all is good. :)

The economy is so bad, no one is spending money, but that's okay, things will pick up in the future.

You finding this charm was a blessing, because it's launched so many newbee's into the pico world.

Marinedepot sells your kit for $54.99 and you found it for $30 dollars as a clearance and they must have boat loads of them at the online Walmart, but when they are gone, it will be over.

I don't carry the Deco Kit's because I made something that's in another league, but I highly recommend reefers start with the Deco and see if they like it.

Rob, glass tanks are super cheap to purchase and therefore the savings comes down to the consumer, but acrylic if far different, they have a higher starting point.

For example, our 2 gallon acrylic is $48 dollars just for the tank, compared to the $30 bucks of a complete Tom Deco, no match! The winner is Deco 2.

The reason this happens is glass is far more abundant with competition from vendors and acrylic is only a couple of vendors that control the market.

I'm trying really hard to find glass picos to put on my site so reefers can purchase something really cheap and play with it. :)

Once again, trying to keep your thread alive.... So everyone will have a Tom Deco at home... :)

Mike G

Apparently they still have a few - I just ordered one and it's due in for pickup at my local store on the 28th. I plan to set mine up on my desk in my home office and plan to use it for a frag tank or keep some cheato and a couple shrimp or a clown goby. I'm excited!

A comment about the filter for the Tom Deco2 filter.

In an earlier post about replacement cartridges for this filter I mentioned about locating them and purchasing extras. I found out that Big Al's carries this cartridge as do a few other online sources. I discovered this from Amazon.com. The actual name of the filter is" Rapids Power Filter". Model #PF-80... Hope this helps for those of you that are using the cartridge and are looking for more.

I see we've added a few more names of people buying the Deco 2. Welcome to our little club. :welcome: Be sure to keep us updated on what you use it for. I know some want to use theirs for a hospital/quarantine tank, others want to setup a mini-reef. Please keep us update, hopefully with pic's.

Rob

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Rob,

The Red Sea Deco Art filter seems to be very close match, if they need cartridges it might work. Every LFS has the RS deco art nano filter.

I just ordered a 2 gallon today for a good friend of mine. She was inspired by my xenia.

So, I really would like to find a nice xenia for her tank when it's ready. Some varied color frags would be great.

Archived