Cultivated Reef

Pico Tank and Setup @ Walmart.com

gupebreedr

Wow,

I'm just amazed on how many reefers ordered a Tom Deco 2... omgomgomg

looks aside, a stock toms deco(hawkeye?) 2 or 3 packs more reef capability than a stock jbj pico (3 gal).

it comes with a more powerful filter and light. the tank just get scuffed up easy.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

There have been so many purchases so far, and it's not stopping.... This thread is awesome.... I can't wait to see the birth of what is to come....

So many will share their pics soon.... I smell Deco all over this board.... :)

Rob,

The Red Sea Deco Art filter seems to be very close match, if they need cartridges it might work. Every LFS has the RS deco art nano filter.

Mike,

I checked 6 local pet centers here in the Tampa area and not a one had the Red Sea filters in stock or had cartridges. I was originally going to add one to my 10G for a bit of extra filtration and flow. I found that rather strange but oh well, at least now I now where I can get them when I need them.

I also ordered one last week. I should get it today. Thanks for all of the great info. on this tank. Let's start a "Wal-mart" pico contest!

I also ordered one last week. I should get it today. Thanks for all of the great info. on this tank. Let's start a "Wal-mart" pico contest!

Way to go Streetsong. Another member to add to the club. I'm all for a Walmart Pico contest. We just need someone to host it. Interested???????? :)

Rob

There have been so many purchases so far, and it's not stopping.... This thread is awesome.... I can't wait to see the birth of what is to come....

So many will share their pics soon.... I smell Deco all over this board.... :)

if anything, i would cannibalize the kit and put the light and filter on a 2.5g to 4g GLASS aquarium. reef light at minimum can cost 30 bucks. i had that light on a 2.5 for a couple years and was very happy with it.

Mike,

I checked 6 local pet centers here in the Tampa area and not a one had the Red Sea filters in stock or had cartridges. I was originally going to add one to my 10G for a bit of extra filtration and flow. I found that rather strange but oh well, at least now I now where I can get them when I need them.

i have 3 or 4 of these. i have never spent over 10 bucks for them. they are a FW pico favorite. a toms aquatics Rapids Dive Clean Mini Internal Filter cartridge fit right into the RS filter, i fill mine full of carbon and slide it right in. sadly i think the rapids min filter maybe discontinued. the pump on that thing was only slightly bigger than a quarter

Set mine up. Put my poor dead open green brain at the top of it all. I'm going to let this tank sit for a few weeks before doing anything...

Photo%20Oct%2016,%207%2004%2054%20PM.jpg

Set mine up. Put my poor dead open green brain at the top of it all. I'm going to let this tank sit for a few weeks before doing anything...

Photo%20Oct%2016,%207%2004%2054%20PM.jpg

Glad to see you got your walmart special up and running. Sorry to hear about your brain coral, was following your other post about that. Keep us posted on what you do with your new pico.

Rob

:D

Add me to the list..... My Wally-World Special should be at the store by the 28th of October..... Should be fun!

:welcome:

And another to add to the club. Please keep us posted on what you decide to do with it. Would you be interested in joining in on our Walmart Pico Contest??????

Way to go Streetsong. Another member to add to the club. I'm all for a Walmart Pico contest. We just need someone to host it. Interested???????? :)

Rob

I have never hosted a contest but I would surely be willing to do so if there are enough people who are interested. Could someone PM me regarding what is involved in hosting? Also, if you would like to participate in the contest, send me a PM. Let the good times roll. When I start a contest thread, I'll post a link in this thread. Huge thanks to gupebreedr for getting all of us into these picos!

My majano anemone walmart pico is gonna stomp you all out.

Just like walmart, my tank will take over and be full of pests!!!! mauhahaha

That's awesome- and true! I'm going to get a really old shrimp to greet people when they first come to look at my pico! :)

Has anyone found a thermostat controlled submersible heater that will fit in one of these?

I was thinking I could shove a 25 watt along the back wall.

Has anyone found a thermostat controlled submersible heater that will fit in one of these?

I was thinking I could shove a 25 watt along the back wall.

A Hydor Theo 25 watt might work. I believe it's 7 inches long but will really stick out like a sore thumb in our small tank. I'm still on a quest to find something that can be hidden. I'll post if and when I find something.

Rob

A Hydor Theo 25 watt might work. I believe it's 7 inches long but will really stick out like a sore thumb in our small tank. I'm still on a quest to find something that can be hidden. I'll post if and when I find something.

Rob

Yeah, I have one of those in my 3.5 Pico. The thermostat really sux in it. Very difficult to get it to work well. I'm thinking it's probably better to have some sort of cheap temperature controller, which controls a fan and a heater.

My majano anemone walmart pico is gonna stomp you all out.

HEY!!!, HEY!!!, HEY!!!, do I detect a challenge here, Woogs. My mystery pico is gonna sting the dickens out of your Majano's. hehehe. :scarry: Oh, and a FYI I just ordered my second kit., for parts you underdtand!!!!! LOL Me thinks that Streetsong needs to get this contest posted soon!!!!!!!!!!

Ordered one :D. Although it will probably turn into a low tech FW planted for work....

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

And yet another Walmart pico owner. I wish I could get a commission on all these kits ordered. Hey a FW plant tank is a great idea, I believe someone else commented on doing the same thing. Good luck and keep us posted, pics would be great too.

Rob

Gr8_Outdoorsman

Would a Fluval Edge heater work in this guy?

Edit:

Nevermind, it looks like the tank is 11" long and the heater is 11" without the cord coming out of the top. Maybe if you were to put it in at a slant it would work.

Yeah, I have one of those in my 3.5 Pico. The thermostat really sux in it. Very difficult to get it to work well. I'm thinking it's probably better to have some sort of cheap temperature controller, which controls a fan and a heater.

Haha a "cheap temperature controller" is there such thing?

I might be interested in being in the contest if we're really going to have one. If there is a contest, I'm thinking that I might buy a Deco and try a NPS pico.

I wish I could get a commission on all these kits ordered.

Walmart would probable owe you several hundred bucks by now. :)

Also, I just noticed on the Walmart website that the Deco kit is "out of stock online". I wonder if they'll be getting any more in?

I might be interested in being in the contest if we're really going to have one. If there is a contest, I'm thinking that I might buy a Deco and try a NPS pico.

Walmart would probable owe you several hundred bucks by now. :)

Also, I just noticed on the Walmart website that the Deco kit is "out of stock online". I wonder if they'll be getting any more in?

Yes, there needs to be a contest. a Year long contest. Shoot, ill even host it if you guys wanna nominate. Could be a 6 month contest winner and then the big 1 year mega contest winner.

Let me know if you guys want me to.

Meanwhile, I am looking for Majano Soldiers to battle you all with

If there's a contest and you see that you're not winning, will you break in at night and sneak majanos into the other members' tanks? ;)

Archived