Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Pico Tank and Setup @ Walmart.com

gupebreedr

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

What a steal!!!!

You scored, for that price, you should have purchased 10... They are selling these guys at cost and getting them out of inventory....

EVERYONE THAT ALWAYS WANTED TO TRY A PICO NEEDS ONE OF THIESE KITS TO TRY. JUST UNBELIEVABLE!!!

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now all we need is to find a small enough heater and we should be good to go, huh?????

Where do you plan to keep yours? Im think about keeping it as an office tank.... I prolly wont run a heater, the little ones suck. Unless I can jam a jager in here :)

Where do you plan to keep yours? Im think about keeping it as an office tank.... I prolly wont run a heater, the little ones suck. Unless I can jam a jager in here :)

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with mine just yet as far as an actual setup. Even though I live in Florida, we can and do have cold spells so I feel a heater is a must have. A little Hydor "theo" would work I'm sure. The tank has a fitted top with cut outs that perfectly fit the perch light and filter so adding any other type of equipment would require not using the lid or modifying it in some way.

gupebreedr posted some

I see that now, I was at work and they filter images hosted on Flikr, imageshack, etc.

Mine arrived at my cousins place in Michigan today, so when my parents get back from the States I'll actually get a chance to look at it.

As per the heater, I saw people complaining that the light heats up the water so it might not be needed. I plan to have this guy at work on my desk as well. I am considering a second one just to get the light for my 2.5 gallon AGA.

Wonder if they ship to Australia ...

I went in to Walmart.com and tried to order one just to see what the shipping options were. Apparently they will only ship the the USA and it's territories. I would be more then happy to get one for you but I believe the shipping to Australia would be rather high. Big Al's has them on their website, wonder if they ship "Down Under"???????

I am actually considering ordering another just for the light and filter alone and then use the extra tank to to mix my salt water. That 13 watt perch light is almost worth the $30.00 by itself.

I changed my mind on setting it up sometime next week and actually set mine up last night. Will post pictures later today. All in all, I'm quite please with the kit and would recommend it to someone wishing to start a pico for the first time. I'm hoping to find some time later to write a more detailed review of this tank and kit. :D

I'm sure this tank and kit has been reviewed somewhere on Nano-reef. com before but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth. For the price paid ($30.00) at Walmart.com you can't beat it. It is small but after all that's what a Pico tank is suppose to be, right? I can see it could very well be challenging to maintain such a small environment but hey, I have no life so I'm going to give it a shot. LOL

Since I posted pictures of the tank earlier in this thread I'm not going to do it again but will post pictures of it setup and running at a later time. I will also start a separate thread for my pico adventure. . Stay tuned for that.

1. The tank itself is not of the highest quality and could easily be scratched. I would not recommend using any kind of scrubber on it. I'm going to use a wooden spoon or chopsticks wrapped with a paper towel to clean the inside. Also, keep in mind since it is a small tank to always remember water displacement when adding anything, most of us are use to larger tanks and can easily stick your hand in to do rearrange things when need, not the case with this tank. I found that out quickly, DUH!!!!! Keeping it under filled by about a half inch is needed in case of power failure or if the filter should stop working, the back flow from the filter could easily over flow the tank. The kit comes with a fitted cover that I believe is a must have to help cut down on evaporation, just remember to keep it clean. The cover has three cut outs that can be used, only one for perch light and two for the filter. The filter cut outs are on the back and on the opposite side from the perch light. It does fit on the snug side. If you plan on using any other type of filter or add-on you will have to mod the top or remove it completely. I would think I a Dremmel would make an easy task of it.
  2. The perch light is pretty decent with it being 13 watts. It attached easily to the side of the tank and can be raised when needed. It does not produce much heat and is about 3.5 inches above the tank so I don't think there will much of an issue with it overheating the tank itself. In my opinion, I believe you could maintain most any kind of small, lower light corals with it. It is surprisingly bright. The downside is I'm not sure the bulb can be replaced but I've not really examined it that closely yet.
  3. On to the filter. It is quite sturdy and powerful for a such a small unit. It's kinda cute in it's own way. :wub: It comes with two cartridges, one for mechanical filtration the other for biological filtration. Finding replacements could prove to be challenging but I believe they can be found on Ebay or Amazon. I've not had a chance to look on any of the major online pet retailers yet. If you plan on using the cartridge I would suggest you order several extras when you do find them. Lastly, the filter is adjustable. You can cut the flow down to a trickle or open it up all the way giving a great flow. Mine is opened up all the way and is leaving little sand dunes in the front of the tank. LOL.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the unit. It's a great way for someone to get their feet wet with a Pico tank and better if you can get it for the clearance price at Wally's World. I would certainly recommend this tank and kit. I'm kinda thinking about ordering another, using the tank to mix my saltwater on the perch light for a refug.

I'm not sure what I'll stock it with but I'm sure a Clown Goby will fit into the mix somewhere. Sexy Shrimp would be another great option as well. I'll probably try and make up some kind of an over flow refug for this tank. I'm not all that handy when it comes to DIY so I'm sure it will be a bit ghetto'ish. LOL I've seen a couple thread regarding making a fug. from household canisters and such. Will research that a bit more. Temperature swings could be an issue with such a small setup and I'm not wanting to put a heater in the tank itself so I want to incorporate it into the fug.

So that it is, my take. I hope it is useful for anyone considering this tank and kit.

[*]The tank itself is not of the highest quality and could easily be scratched. I would not recommend using any kind of scrubber on it. I'm going to use a wooden spoon or chopsticks wrapped with a paper towel to clean the inside.

I've used a soft bristle toothbrush to lightly scrub off algae. I've only done it twice. Once the initial bloom was over, I really haven't had to clean it again. I just do very regular water changes - the tank is so small, the water change only takes minutes. But, I do have some scratches I really can't explain. I wonder if the snails crawling up and down ever scratch it.

Just an FYI...paper towel will leave scratches on acrylic over time. Cool tank! Will definitely follow it's progress :)

Thanks for the heads up on that. :) I'm sure a soft paper towel would have to be better then any mag. type cleaner????? I've got a NanoMag that has already scratched my 10 G glass tank.

I've used a soft bristle toothbrush to lightly scrub off algae. I've only done it twice. Once the initial bloom was over, I really haven't had to clean it again. I just do very regular water changes - the tank is so small, the water change only takes minutes. But, I do have some scratches I really can't explain. I wonder if the snails crawling up and down ever scratch it.

You know, I keep forgetting about a toothbrush. Thanks for reminding about that. I'll have to buy a soft one next time I go shopping. :)

Keep those thoughts, idea, and suggestions coming!!!!!!

Just bought tanks (tankettes?) shipped for $70.16.

I'm thinking some shrimp and a possible qt tank.

If such small rigs turn into a PITA i'll give then to the kids for a beta or guppies. B)

I'm actually quite excited to get these going. :D

Okay gang, here's a link to my new thread for our Wally's World pico. I know some others have ordered and received this setup too. Let's see some pic's of your setups.

Walmart pico reef

Archived