Top Shelf Aquatics

Pablo's Cave inspired Mixed Reef

pablom617

I am starting to not trust their water either....

I did my weekly water change last week, got my calcium tested 2 days later and it was 290!

A friend told me that this week they had to mix their own salt water as the guy that delivers to them had surgery.

Not sure what their maintenance is like but this is just another reason why I should stop going there.

Do you have your own RODI or do you buy it?

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I buy distilled from Wally world.. expensive at 80 cents a gallon but at least I know it is 0 TDS. I buffer the PH with seachem marine buffer since distilled PH is about 7.9. My 2.5 gallon weekly water change costs me less than 3 bucks including Reef Crystals salt.

Do you drop a power head in your bucket to mix it or do anything special?

I have been told that the water dispenser at the Publix on Clint Moore and Military is excellent. They post when the maintenance was last done and I think it's $0.30 or 0.35 per gal. It's r/o, carbon and UV filtered

Do you drop a power head in your bucket to mix it or do anything special?

I have been told that the water dispenser at the Publix on Clint Moore and Military is excellent. They post when the maintenance was last done and I think it's $0.30 or 0.35 per gal. It's r/o, carbon and UV filtered

I just mix it with a acrylic rod for an initial mix then mix it with a powerhead.

I would try that if I had a TDS meter, do you have one? I have a household RO system for drinking water but it makes like 2 gallons every three years, lol.

No, Reef Crystals have been working pretty well for me. My Cal and Alk are actually through the roof right now

PH 8.1

NH3 0

NO2 0

NO3 0

Cal 520

Alk 12

Nice! Are you adding anything daily? What test kits do you use?

How much mix do you use per gal?

I'm not adding anything daily just weekly 2.5 gallon changes. I mix a little under 3/4 cup of reef crystals per gallon of water. I add till I get 1.026 with my refractometer. I just add PH buffer to my new saltwater before changes..

I use API test kits.

I hope the high Alk isn't going to cause a problem in the future.. crossing my fingers.

Pics as promised...

GSP

20longpics2-2.jpg

Frogspawn/Hammer hybrid

20longpics2-3.jpg

Kenya Tree

20longpics2-4.jpg

Eagle Eye Zoanthids

20longpics2-5.jpg

Ricordea with Flash

20longpics2.jpg

Green Zoas

20longpics3-2.jpg

People Eater Palys

20longpics3-3.jpg

Mysterious Zoa???

20longpics3-4.jpg

Another pic of the People Eaters

20longpics3-5.jpg

Closeup on Florida Ricordea

20longpics3-6.jpg

Florida Ricordea

20longpics3.jpg

great pics!

That Ricordea is badass! Zoas are very nice. I think I'm going to pick some up this week or next.

Hos many heads does your frogspawn/hammer have?

great pics!

That Ricordea is badass! Zoas are very nice. I think I'm going to pick some up this week or next.

Hos many heads does your frogspawn/hammer have?

That is a single head.

Oh, mine has 2 :) it has gotten so much bigger since I bought it.

Do you have it in a low flow area?

It is in a medium flow area, It wouldn't come out at first.. now it seems to like where it is. If it doesn't grow soon might have to put steroids in the water!

At first mine was in a low flow low light spot. When I glued it to a piece of rubble I moved it to a medium flow high light spot and seems it seems to like it. I think it's adjusting to the light now because it doesn't look as green as before, but it is extending much more.

Do you feed it anything? I dose PhytoFeast twice a week. I have been told Oysterfeast is better.

Archived