Top Shelf Aquatics

Mr. M's Microscopy of the Reef, FlowerMama's Dinos! #303

Mr. Microscope

I would not like to see the bacteria in everyday household life, but I would like to see some of these if you are considering your next subject:

coralline algae

GFO

bio media

Purigen crystal

The clear crystal that is included in chemi pure

This months coral magazine had microscopic imaging of a grain of sand, that was cool.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would not like to see the bacteria in everyday household life, but I would like to see some of these if you are considering your next subject:

coralline algae

GFO

bio media

Purigen crystal

The clear crystal that is included in chemi pure

This months coral magazine had microscopic imaging of a grain of sand, that was cool.

Those are good ones Kat, hadnt thought about any of those.. +1 for sure!

Your bivalve thing may be an ostracod (seed shrimp).

Other suggestions:

foraminiferans

polychaetes (especially a feather duster or christmas tree worm)

micro stars

Mr. Microscope
Your bivalve thing may be an ostracod (seed shrimp).

Other suggestions:

foraminiferans

polychaetes (especially a feather duster or christmas tree worm)

micro stars

Thanks lakshwadeep! I'll look into those.

Awesome images! What SEM do you work with? I used to do alot of fundamental research on variable pressure SEM's, modelling the scattering of the beam through the gas in the chamber. During the open house at the university I was at I would always have spiders and flies to show the visitors. The spiders always blew my mind with the eyes and hairy legs, I will see if I can dig them up (it was about 6 years ago!) they are not aquarium related but really cool nonetheless! I really miss playing around on the SEM haha.

Mr. Microscope
thank you so much for taking the time to process the samples and take pictures for us to enjoy!

Thanks thl!

kinda makes me regret selling off my stereoscope.

funny-pictures-fail-cat-paw.jpg

:lol: :lol:

I still need to get one that works. I collect antique microscopes, but they're not the best for actually taking images of stuff unless I put my iPhone camera in the optics.

Do I get a microscope, or some more awesome corals?...sigh..

Awesome images! What SEM do you work with? I used to do alot of fundamental research on variable pressure SEM's, modelling the scattering of the beam through the gas in the chamber. During the open house at the university I was at I would always have spiders and flies to show the visitors. The spiders always blew my mind with the eyes and hairy legs, I will see if I can dig them up (it was about 6 years ago!) they are not aquarium related but really cool nonetheless! I really miss playing around on the SEM haha.

Cool! I'm always extra thankful for the people who do the tedious work to actually get these things working the way they're supposed to. It's awesome that you helped to pioneer that technology. VP-EM rules! I've looked at my fair share of fly eyes and spiders as well. Seems like they never get boring.

I work with several different microscopes, but these images were captured mostly on a Hitachi 3400 and Hitachi 4800.

Nice! I really like the Hitachi's. I used the original Hitachi S3000N for most of my work along with the Hitachi 4700 FEG-SEM. I have used Jeol and Leo in the past but I have to say the Hitachi was really great for the ease of use.

This would be a little more of a detailed study but I think it would be really cool if you could get a cross section of an sps that has undergone varying conditions affecting its growth (ie. low light vs highlight/high nitrates vs no nitrates/abundant calcium vs calcium deficiency) to track any changes. You could see if the morphology changes in the skeletal growth as well as do some chemical mapping to see if there are any impurities in the CaSO4 structure. I am also curious to see how much Mg and/or Sr is incorporated into the structures during growth and if they vary when the coral is stressed.

This would be more work and would require some planning but the results could be really cool!

• 4 weeks later...
Builder Anthony

if thats the real small pods that fight each other with there front claws ill probally print a copy so i can take it to the gun range.those things damage zoas.it looks the little terriorists as i call them.please comfirm target.

i thimk ich should be your next closeup.i have never found a picture of it like the ones you post.it may lead to something and i feel noone out there does anything to find a cure.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Mr. Microscope

I took a quick look at some Oyster Feast from Reef Nutrition today. The bottle says the food particle size is between 1 and 200 microns. For those of you unfamiliar with the term, "micron" there are 1000 microns in a millimeter. Here are the results of my imaging:

04A.jpg

05A.jpg

I would agree that there are particles that range down to the 1um level, and although I didn't see any eggs the size of 200um under the oculars, it certainly looks like they aggregate into larger particles. Everything is legit. Go Reef Nutrition!

Imaging was done with a 20x Air Objective and Metamorph software.

Mr. Microscope
Very cool!

Thanks C.I.!

Interesting, are you taking requests, lol. No really, are you?

Sure! I've got a sample of reef chilli that I got from member bensanders. I've been so busy at work that I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. I'm open to ideas though. Fire away!

Can we look at some skimmate sample from a system running bio-pellets, or just any skimmate. Like to get some idea what it's actually removing, just an idea maybe it's been done.

Mr. Microscope
Can we look at some skimmate sample from a system running bio-pellets, or just any skimmate. Like to get some idea what it's actually removing, just an idea maybe it's been done.

Actually, I've looked at lots of proteins under the electron microscope. Honestly, most of them aren't all that interesting. It's the part of my job that I call, "blobology." They're just little blobs. I think they would be much more fascinating from a biochemical standpoint.

BTW, I don't have a skimmer yet. If someone wants to get me one, I'd be happy to see what it spits out! :):D

I'll send you anything in my tank to get more pics like these!

Thanks jedimasterben! What's in your tank? I looked at your tank threads, but didn't see any livestock yet.

Archived