Mr. Microscope

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mr. Microscope

Scanning Electron Microscopy of Zooplankton

Hello All!

It's taken me a while to gather all of this data; a minute here and there after sessions of looking at actual research samples, but I've finally managed to gather a decent collection of images. This entry's samples consist of some pods that I managed to get out of my fuge. I found an infant amphipod, a copepod, something that looks vaguely like a caterpillar, and something that may be a microscopic bivalve of sorts. Enough chatter, here's the good stuff!

First off, here is the amphipod I found. I used some static to get him to stand on his hind legs so that I could look him straight in the eye.

File02b.jpg

ROOOAR!!!

File05b.jpg

Actually, I say he looks a little like Tony the Tiger. What do you think? :lol: :lol:

FU8184lg.jpg

Let's zoom in on that mouth a little.

File41b.jpg

"The better to EAT you with!!!"

File42b.jpg

Arms:

File45b.jpg

The CLAW!

File47b.jpg

Okay. So, next let's take a look at that caterpillar thing I found. If anyone has a more definitive identification I'd love to hear it. I really enjoyed imaging this guy, though to be honest, I'm not sure which side is the front and which side is that back.

File11b.jpg

File12b.jpg

These hairs made for some beautiful contrast!

File13b.jpg

Next, the bivalve thing. My other guesses are that it is a protozoan, daphnia, or maybe cladoceran Evadne sp. Again, please contact me on this one if anyone knows for sure what this is.

File15b.jpg

Zooming in on the edge.

File19b.jpg

File30b.jpg

Finally, here is the copepod. This little pod was a lot of fun to explore. I understand how these things can stick to our glass walls now. Their spikes have spikes of their own. I even think their spike's spikes have spikes. There's something to think about. I took the time at home to colorize this one.

File07bcolorized.jpg

Did you know that copepods only have one eye? You can see it in the front.

Spikes!

File08b.jpg

Here's a closer look at the tail:

File24b.jpg

There was some bacteria caught up here:

File10b.jpg

This reminds me of a hunting knife:

File32b.jpg

Thanks for checking out my work! More to come in the future. I'm thinking about looking at food. Specifically, Oyster Feast from Reef Nutrition. Is it really 1-200um as they claim? We'll soon find out!

Good idea to check out food. If you don't already have some, can I mail you a sprinkle of Reef Chili to check out too? I promise I won't commit some kind of bio-chemical crime :)

Mr. Microscope
Wow. Amazing pictures!

The amphipod is so creepy yet cool, I really like the copepod, those are some crazy spikes!

Thanks yoshii! I thought so too.

:wub:

:happy:

Good idea to check out food. If you don't already have some, can I mail you a sprinkle of Reef Chili to check out too? I promise I won't commit some kind of bio-chemical crime :)

Hmm, I've never heard of Reef Chili. Looks cool. I'm more interested in looking at live food, but it's worth a shot! They say that there is a good variety of stuff in there. PM sent!

Hmm, I've never heard of Reef Chili. Looks cool. I'm more interested in looking at live food, but it's worth a shot! PM sent.

Word! Yeah it might be interesting to see what these dried, powdered coral foods look like...see if it's possible to identify any of the ingredients they say goes into it. It might just end up looking like brown mush, who knows.

Mr. Microscope
Very Cool!

Thanks lakshwadeep!

Word! Yeah it might be interesting to see what these dried, powdered coral foods look like...see if it's possible to identify any of the ingredients they say goes into it. It might just end up looking like brown mush, who knows.

Good point. It would be good to know what where shoving into our corals these days. Can't wait to see it!

I really love that you do this, as I am sure everyone else does also, so I just wanna say thanks! It is so cool!

Thanks SRGaudio! I sincerely appreciate your appreciation. It's a lot of fun to look into the little crevices of the world that most people rarely see. It's even more fun to share that stuff with the community. I'd like to imagine in the future, that the wish list for the common reefer will go something like this:

Vortech

DSLR

Microscope!

Incedible and fascinating! The bacteria on the copepod was an interesting pic. Aparrently the fleas have fleas.

I realize that this is alot of work on your part with equipment of incredible value. Hopefully this does not create a problem for you professionally because I really enjoy this photos.

So much better then the routine threads. These are things that most of us will never see unless we were to subscribe to science journals.

thanks a million,

Kevin

" Is it really 1-200um as they claim"

What does this refer to?

nor_cal_nano

File11b.jpg

Pretty sure I know what that is.... :lol:

My neighbors dog leaves them behind sometimes.

On a more serious note.. Very nice pictures man. Thanks for sharing and keep em coming.

Mr. Microscope
speechless

Thanks marc3lo19!

how are you taking these pictures :o

I apologize if it was stated earlier.. I haven't read the thread.

sweet pictures though!

Hello Catbus. I use a scanning electron microscope. There's lots more images to see throughout the thread. Enjoy!

:wacko:

I don't think I can sleep tonight Mr. Microscope

:lol: I love all the crazy stuff that crawls around us that we can't see. You should see the things that walk around in your carpeting!

Incedible and fascinating! The bacteria on the copepod was an interesting pic. Aparrently the fleas have fleas.

I realize that this is alot of work on your part with equipment of incredible value. Hopefully this does not create a problem for you professionally because I really enjoy this photos.

So much better then the routine threads. These are things that most of us will never see unless we were to subscribe to science journals.

thanks a million,

Kevin

" Is it really 1-200um as they claim"

What does this refer to?

N'ah! No trouble. I just consider it training and perfecting my skills on the microscope. So does my director. We're encouraged to get involved with the community as well. 'Anything to get people excited about science is a good thing for us.

1-200um or 1-200 "microns" is the size of the food that Reef Nutrition claims. A micron is one 1000th of a millimeter. So, that would be the equivalent of 0.001 mm to 0.2 mm. I hope that helps. I'll be able to measure these sizes with the microscope.

File11b.jpg

Pretty sure I know what that is.... :lol:

My neighbors dog leaves them behind sometimes.

On a more serious note.. Very nice pictures man. Thanks for sharing and keep em coming.

LOL!!! Good call. Thanks nor_cal_nano!

is the catepillar thingee a slug/cucumber perhaps?

You got me? It's tiny! I measured it at about a third of a millimeter in length. 'Hard to say. I'm sure someone out there knows though.

Deleted User 6

ah hell yeah M. that's some badassery right there. i'd hate to be shrunk down to 1/1000 of my size and thrown in my reef tank.

Mr. Microscope
ah hell yeah M. that's some badassery right there. i'd hate to be shrunk down to 1/1000 of my size and thrown in my reef tank.

Thanks DHaut! LOL! Yeah, we'd need some serious ray guns to survive at that size.

Amazing pics! :eek:

Thanks pismo!

new-b-reefer

truly amazing, fascinating, and jaw dropping.

a really cool look at the little critters we all take for granted and or overlook.

thanks for sharing. your posts are always so intriguing :)

It melts my brain too. That's why I'm planning to spend the first half of my life looking into microscopes and the second half looking out of telescopes into the universe. I've always enjoyed watching the stars. I figure between the two, I'll get a good perspective on life in general and the human experience in the universe.

Wonderful pics, great thread, and a half decent plan!

Just don't forget to take frequent breaks from looking at outter- and inner-space to go outside!

(Yes, people, "outside" is real too!)

;-)

-Matt

Archived