Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Mr. M's Microscopy of the Reef, FlowerMama's Dinos! #303

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope
:thumbsup:

Thanks DHaut!

i love this thread! its amazing to thing how infinitely big the universe is, and how its infinitely small too.

my brain melts when i try to grasp that concept

great shots Mr Micro!

Thanks for the comments Ez! It melts my brain too. That's why I'm planning to spend the first half of my life looking into microscopes and the second half looking out of telescopes into the universe. I've always enjoyed watching the stars. I figure between the two, I'll get a good perspective on life in general and the human experience in the universe. Also, making a contribution to the future would be a nice side effect. It's actually my life dream to see Earth from orbit. Maybe they'll put an electron microscope up there one day. LOL!

Very cool! It's interesting how porous the structure is up close.

You might consider viewing sponge spicules, which, like skeletons for SPS corals, are often the only way to distinguish species.

It's on the list! Thanks for the idea. If you want to send me a sponge, I'd love to take a look.

I'm a graduate student in Materials Science and Engineering, so I'm pretty familiar with SEM and TEM, but I've never thought to stick coral in one. So cool. I used to work on biomimetic mineralization, so seeing the calcium carbonate crystal structure in these is awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Are you a graduate student or a tech that works with the microscopes? Also, out of curiosity, what kind of samples do you normally look at?

Cool! I was reading a paper about biomimetic nanowire coating (gecko feet stuff) the other day. I'm an EM Tech. SEM, TEM, and sample prep are my focus. I'm especially interested in cryo techniques and do a lot of that. I've been very lucky in my career to have worked with a plethora of samples both bio and materials. Right now, I'm working mostly with mouse eggs, cancer cells, and nano particles. In the past I've done everything from IC's and mineral samples, to fruit fly embryos and various mouse parts.

I'm currently with Northwestern University. If you're having a hard time getting data out of your microscopes, let me know if you want to start a collaboration! I'd be happy to help.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cool! I was reading a paper about biomimetic nanowire coating (gecko feet stuff) the other day. I'm an EM Tech. SEM, TEM, and sample prep are my focus. I'm especially interested in cryo techniques and do a lot of that. I've been very lucky in my career to have worked with a plethora of samples both bio and materials. Right now, I'm working mostly with mouse eggs, cancer cells, and nano particles. In the past I've done everything from IC's and mineral samples, to fruit fly embryos and various mouse parts.

I'm currently with Northwestern University. If you're having a hard time getting data out of your microscopes, let me know if you want to start a collaboration! I'd be happy to help.

Awesome! You seem to have gotten to work with a wide range of stuff. I work on biomaterials and currently I'm working on polymeric hydrogels, so I'm mostly using rheology and NMR to characterize them. If I ever need EM images though I'll keep you in mind. Keep posting images of aquarium items, its definitely intriguing!

Mr. Microscope
Awesome! You seem to have gotten to work with a wide range of stuff. I work on biomaterials and currently I'm working on polymeric hydrogels, so I'm mostly using rheology and NMR to characterize them. If I ever need EM images though I'll keep you in mind. Keep posting images of aquarium items, its definitely intriguing!

I hope you're getting some good data and that your equipment keeps working for you. That always seems to be the challenge in science; just getting things to work.

I was involved in a project a couple years ago with a few people from NYU Polytech that were working with hydrogels. They were hoping to use them for drug delivery. We did a bunch of TEM negative staining. It was actually my first authorship.

Mr. Microscope, where can I get a cheap test tube stand locally, meaning what kinds of places should I try to find that would have this? I found online retailers, the item si $3 but shipping is $10+

Looking for something like this:

318H-YT1avL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Mr. Microscope

Seems like something you could find in Chinatown. Perhaps more on the west side of Chinatown. Otherwise, you may be able to order from Fisher Scientific. Not sure about shipping on that though.

I hope you're getting some good data and that your equipment keeps working for you. That always seems to be the challenge in science; just getting things to work.

Tell me about it. I am currently down in my lab trying to fix a broken vacuum pump that runs our oxygen plasma machine. I'm currently waiting for oil to flush through the system, haha.

I was involved in a project a couple years ago with a few people from NYU Polytech that were working with hydrogels. They were hoping to use them for drug delivery. We did a bunch of TEM negative staining. It was actually my first authorship.

Awesome! The hydrogels I work with are for stem cell delivery to heart muscle damaged by a heart attack.

Mr. Microscope
This thread is awesome!

Thanks zoox!

Tell me about it. I am currently down in my lab trying to fix a broken vacuum pump that runs our oxygen plasma machine. I'm currently waiting for oil to flush through the system, haha.

LOL! Yup. Usually the oil change fixes it. Don't forget vacuum grease on your o-rings.

Awesome! The hydrogels I work with are for stem cell delivery to heart muscle damaged by a heart attack.

Nice! Let me know if you publish. I'd love to read about it. Keep your fingers crossed for Cell or Nature!

Deleted User 6
Seems like something you could find in Chinatown. Perhaps more on the west side of Chinatown. Otherwise, you may be able to order from Fisher Scientific. Not sure about shipping on that though.

shut up microface. you don't know nothin' about no new york city, traitor.

LOL! Yup. Usually the oil change fixes it. Don't forget vacuum grease on your o-rings.

Nice! Let me know if you publish. I'd love to read about it. Keep your fingers crossed for Cell or Nature!

It ended up being a combination of needing an oil change and a new bell jar where the vacuum is pulled in the machine. Always fun fixing lab equipment.

It'll probably be a while before I publish because I'm just starting this project but I'll let you know when it happens.

Mr. Microscope
Awesome Congrats Mr M!

...at the 3 min mark..well i have to give you mass props! sounds so confusing!

LOL! Good find. Yeah, I work with Eric. He's a good guy. Yup, that's the 4800 I used at the three minute mark.

This video is a little funnier and quicker. Love the sound effects.

http://www.youtube.com/user/NUANCEcenter#p/u/4/uQ8J2E3VzGk

I used this microscope for the pocillopora sample.

I like this one too:

http://www.youtube.com/user/NUANCEcenter#p/u/5/FkkaM0kjf5E

It ended up being a combination of needing an oil change and a new bell jar where the vacuum is pulled in the machine. Always fun fixing lab equipment.

It'll probably be a while before I publish because I'm just starting this project but I'll let you know when it happens.

Yikes! Bell jars aren't cheap.

Good luck on your project. I hope you got a good one.

LOL! Good find. Yeah, I work with Eric. He's a good guy. Yup, that's the 4800 I used at the three minute mark.

This video is a little funnier and quicker. Love the sound effects.

http://www.youtube.com/user/NUANCEcenter#p/u/4/uQ8J2E3VzGk

I used this microscope for the pocillopora sample.

I like this one too:

http://www.youtube.com/user/NUANCEcenter#p/u/5/FkkaM0kjf5E

That's awesome! i had no idea you would know the guy... much less have that be the exact scope you use.

so when you "pump the chamber"... does that mean its creating a vacuum like in space? is that why you cant do liquids, because the lack of pressure holding the molecules together would cause it to boil... even with no heat? I am no scientist, but this stuff amazes me

Mr. Microscope
That's awesome! i had no idea you would know the guy... much less have that be the exact scope you use.

so when you "pump the chamber"... does that mean its creating a vacuum like in space? is that why you cant do liquids, because the lack of pressure holding the molecules together would cause it to boil... even with no heat? I am no scientist, but this stuff amazes me

You hit it on the head! Most electron microscopes need a very high vacuum to maintain the electron beam; usually around 5 x 10-6 torr. That's about the same pressure (or lack of pressure) in space. If something in the chamber is boiling or, "outgassing" as we call it, then vacuum cannot be established and the beam cannot reach the sample because it will be deflected and refracted by the molecules in the atmosphere, kind of like shining a flashlight into fog.

The electron microscope is like a giant light bulb with a bunch of electromagnets to push the beam around. You've got vacuum and a filament like a light bulb, but instead of photons (light), the filament emits electrons. Certainly, it gets more complicated than that, but that's essentially what's going on in there.

You hit it on the head! Most electron microscopes need a very high vacuum to maintain the electron beam; usually around 5 x 10-6 torr. That's about the same pressure (or lack of pressure) in space.

The electron microscope is like a giant light bulb with a bunch of electromagnets to push the beam around. You've got vacuum and a filament like a light bulb, but instead of photons (light), the filament emits electrons. Certainly, it gets more complicated than that, but that's essentially what's going on in there.

OK i get it now... so the magnets help you lock on and target the sample with electrons... kinda like that lhc giant particle smasher in Switzerland.... but a little different i guess... What actually takes the photo? is there some sensor that picks up the electrons bouncing back off the sample. sorry for all the ?

Mr. Microscope
OK i get it now... so the magnets help you lock on and target the sample with electrons... kinda like that lhc giant particle smasher in Switzerland.... but a little different i guess... What actually takes the photo? is there some sensor that picks up the electrons bouncing back off the sample. sorry for all the ?

No, the electromagnets condense and expand the column of electrons and form it into a beam that is focused on the sample.

electron-optical-microscope.gif

They work similar to the lenses in a light microscope, and we actually call them lenses (condenser lens, objective lens, etc). Instead of being made of concave and convex glass, they are huge coils of copper that do a similar thing with the electrons that the glass lenses in a regular microscope do with light.

When the electrons hit the sample, they interact with the molecules of the sample and eject electrons from the sample itself. We call these secondary electrons. These electrons then shoot up to a detector which sends signals to a photomultiplier tube. The signal is then converted into a digital signal that pops up on the screen as an image.

sorry for all the ?

No worries. I love this stuff!

Archived