Pod Your Reef

~ Candy Land ~ New Pics up Radions are UP! Tons of Top Downs.

FlCandy

Zoas are starting to open and I have more PE on the Montiporas' we will see what happens.

Took the advice of the locals guess I regret it now. LMAO -_-

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh no! I hope everything will be OK! How are the fish doing? I noticed the SW I make with distilled smells fresh in the jug (leftovers) weeks later, but the water I made with RO (8TDS) smelled awful after a couple days. I just discovered this on Sunday. Pretty crazy.

Everyone is okay. The corals have stopped looking so PO and are just bleached now. The SPS that is. The Frog was starting to fluff up when lights went out and IDK about the Candy Cane.

Husband says this is the perfect excuse to get a 50 gallon drum and make our own RODI and mix it. I agree.

Soon soon. I will see what this tank looks like tomorrow as I am off and have an attorney coming here to go over the stuff from the accident and try to get me a rental etc.

Carbon, WC and me being a freak I think has this okay we will see. fingerscrossed

Man, I am so glad you're ok from the accident. I've been down a couple times on a motorcycle and a few times in a car and it's always scary (C.J. is accident prone). Definitely get an attorney because you want to plan for future medical expenses including chiropractic and some GAP coverage for the loss on your car. BTW, gingers rock!

You chose LS and filled the tank with mostly previous tank water and previous tank LR? Is it possible the new LS caused a mini cycle and stressed the corals out? Just a thought. You may have missed an ammonia spike that your LR and old water took care of. But it was there nonetheless and stressed the corals out. Frickin' amazing build. Good job! omgomgomg

Spirofucci

Hopefully they are just in a little shock from the new water. Did you say that it was natural sea water? I was considered using natural sea water from the Gulf for the start up and for the W/C's but too much of a hassel cause I live 45 min away.

Ummmmm what do you need explained?

The return or the overflow?

All of it. I drilled so I don't have an overflow but from there down to the sump and then back up to the DT. What pump are you using? Does your drain from the DT to the sump have a vent? I noticed your line to the sump is split in two so why did you do that? I think I may just have to tear mine apart and start over with a new plumbing setup. Nothing we do is working.

I'm glad all your stuff looks better today. I don't know how I missed that last night.

You chose LS and filled the tank with mostly previous tank water and previous tank LR? Is it possible the new LS caused a mini cycle and stressed the corals out? Just a thought. You may have missed an ammonia spike that your LR and old water took care of. But it was there nonetheless and stressed the corals out. Frickin' amazing build. Good job! omgomgomg

Gap ins is for when you drive your car off the lot and it's not on your plan yet. It is only good for so long then you have to have your own insurance. I used to file claims for PIP etc so I know the process just never went through it personally.

It was not LS. It was dry Tahitian Black Moon sand from Marine Depot. Came dry I rinsed it out and let it sit for 24 hours to dry. I didn't touch the sand in the 46 until I was ready to move the rock.

Hopefully they are just in a little shock from the new water. Did you say that it was natural sea water? I was considered using natural sea water from the Gulf for the start up and for the W/C's but too much of a hassel cause I live 45 min away.

Yeah it is. The only thing with NSW is you can't control the SG for each time etc etc. Or what contaminants might bee in the water at that time from the tide etc etc. ;)

All of it. I drilled so I don't have an overflow but from there down to the sump and then back up to the DT. What pump are you using? Does your drain from the DT to the sump have a vent? I noticed your line to the sump is split in two so why did you do that? I think I may just have to tear mine apart and start over with a new plumbing setup. Nothing we do is working.

I'm glad all your stuff looks better today. I don't know how I missed that last night.

531309_10150881965379029_659639028_9762781_1507631907_n.jpg

Okay the larger wider (with black mesh on in) pipe is the overflow from the tank to the sump it's 1" and the other one that is split is the return. I am running a Mag7 for the return the reason I have it T'd off is to control the flow back to the sump without putting back pressure on the pump. I have a vent in the Overflow I just can't find the sweet spot anymore. -_-

If you need anything else let me know.

I am leaning towards a small mini cycle. Everything was so happy at lights out on Sunday then yesterday everyone looked pissed.

Fish are looking good, I did lose the cleaner shrimp LATE last night at like 2AM. (I only know what's time as I was up getting everything ready for the attorney today)

jedimasterben
It was not LS. It was dry Tahitian Black Moon sand from Marine Depot. Came dry I rinsed it out and let it sit for 24 hours to dry. I didn't touch the sand in the 46 until I was ready to move the rock.

Tahitian Moon Sand. :wub:

I am leaning towards a small mini cycle. Everything was so happy at lights out on Sunday then yesterday everyone looked pissed.

Fish are looking good, I did lose the cleaner shrimp LATE last night at like 2AM. (I only know what's time as I was up getting everything ready for the attorney today)

I has a sad for you. :(

Invest in some Seachem/Aquavitro 'Alpha' and never have to worry about ammonia or nitrite spikes again.

Tahitian Moon Sand. :wub:

I has a sad for you. :(

Invest in some Seachem/Aquavitro 'Alpha' and never have to worry about ammonia or nitrite spikes again.

I know I love it too.

Thanks I sad too, I hope the pistol is okay, there are new mounds so I think he is.....

Seachem? I always just used prime. ????

I have CPE running and the skimmer IDk I bet a few snails does off whatcha think?

Chemi Pure Elite.

Good to know I will send a text to the Hubby.

Thanks if Only I had my car right now! SO effin PO. :angry:

jedimasterben
Chemi Pure Elite.

Good to know I will send a text to the Hubby.

Thanks if Only I had my car right now! SO effin PO. :angry:

So it's basically granular ferric oxide, activated carbon, and some sort of pH buffer, I'm assuming calcium carbonate, but it would not last for 6-8 months if so.

Why do you run it?

So it's basically granular ferric oxide, activated carbon, and some sort of pH buffer, I'm assuming calcium carbonate, but it would not last for 6-8 months if so.

Why do you run it?

If you look back I had a phosphate issue, now I am running it as I have a smell from the tank and it's having another small cycle.

I always have but I planned on not using it anymore once the FUGE was going and I never let it go 6 months! I change it once every 6 weeks when I was using it in the Canister. I was always VERY regular with that.

Either way nothing I can do as I have no car and I can't lift anything due to me being sore as crud today from the accident. I'm getting more sore every day so that's not boding well but I have a chiropractor I am going to see on Thursday and then a MRI. She is working on getting me a rental through the other person's insurance etc etc.

IDK I Blue Booked my car and the Private sell value is 12,366 and the trade in is 10,361, they may not total it out but we will see.

Everything that could go wrong did and there is nothing I can do about it. That's the worst part. -_-:rant::tears:

The pistol is still tunneling though...... Lord Knows how he lives and the cleaner doesn't. He went right to work from the get go though.

Was on the verge or just tearing it down and selling everything this morning. <_<

surgicalsense

<_< ... no, the tank will balance itself out again soon. No breaking down and selling jack.

Sorry about the car issue, it is a drag.

jedimasterben

It can only get better from there, though, so just keep your chin up. :)

I would honestly just run carbon to eliminate any smell, and have you determined why you have phosphates? Maybe in your source water?

Was on the verge or just tearing it down and selling everything this morning. <_<

I will come find you and shake my finger at you sternly if you do. :lol:

<_< ... no, the tank will balance itself out again soon. No breaking down and selling jack.

Sorry about the car issue, it is a drag.

LMAO fine then! I think I am going to lose most of the SPS and the LPS. The chalice is toast just a white skeleton today.

Just a FML kind of week/month. Well I'm at rock bottom now only one way to go right! UP! :lol: Man I need to take my meds I am hurting. I shouldn't have done the WC I should have waited for A but he is mad at the tank again .........

WTFE I am done for the day. I will be back on once the tank is not being an ass. <_<

It can only get better from there, though, so just keep your chin up. :)

I would honestly just run carbon to eliminate any smell, and have you determined why you have phosphates? Maybe in your source water?

I will come find you and shake my finger at you sternly if you do. :lol:

LMAO fine guys I will keep it up. After everything I may as well or all the anxiety and frustration will be for nothing.

It was from the source water I was getting at the beginning. IDK I just never stopped running it as I liked how happy the tank looked. Just habit I guess, after this idiot tank is done being an idiot I will stop running it. I have 0 Phosphates now, just Ammonia. Surprising as there is nothing dead in there (I keep checking and I doubt a chalice dying can cause that spike) and I have about 80 pounds of Cured LR in the tank.

IDK

You are using all new sand, correct?

Yes.... But I used 40 gallons of the water from the 46 and all the cured LR. So it should have had 0 cycle. I am still reading Ammonia..... 2 days later! :huh:

27 gallons from the LFS I always get it and then a few gallons for the SUMP topoff..... should have been fine. But I know the water that I had delivered was the culprit. If you could have smelled it in the buckets yesterday OMG! IDK when he collected the NSW but it was not at a good time. It was angry water that made my tank angry. My own fault really, pain meds and checking water do not mix. I was not all there and A was in the backyard smoking a cig so we messed up.

My own fault really. Oh well.

jedimasterben
Yes.... But I used 40 gallons of the water from the 46 and all the cured LR. So it should have had 0 cycle. I am still reading Ammonia..... 2 days later! :huh:

27 gallons from the LFS I always get it and then a few gallons for the SUMP topoff..... should have been fine. But I know the water that I had delivered was the culprit. If you could have smelled it in the buckets yesterday OMG! IDK when he collected the NSW but it was not at a good time. It was angry water that made my tank angry. My own fault really, pain meds and checking water do not mix. I was not all there and A was in the backyard smoking a cig so we messed up.

My own fault really. Oh well.

Water does nothing for a cycle. Cured live rock will help, but most people don't grasp the sheer enormity of what lives in their sandbed. Yes, there is enough in the live rock to keep up, but if there was also a sandbed, each would have some of the bacteria and not all of it, so moving simply the live rock will not keep up with the previous bioload.

You knew something was wrong with the water by the smell and still used it? :(

I know it's probably the last thing you want to do, but I would do a series of large water changes, but I also recommend using your own RO/DI and salt to be rid of your phosphate issue, but don't do both at the same time, or else #### will really hit the fan. :/

If I were closer, I'd be more than willing to lend you a hand with it all, but I'm a bit far for that.

surgicalsense
I will keep it up. After everything I may as well or all the anxiety and frustration will be for nothing.

Duh ;)

Water does nothing for a cycle. Cured live rock will help, but most people don't grasp the sheer enormity of what lives in their sandbed. Yes, there is enough in the live rock to keep up, but if there was also a sandbed, each would have some of the bacteria and not all of it, so moving simply the live rock will not keep up with the previous bioload.

You knew something was wrong with the water by the smell and still used it? :(

I know it's probably the last thing you want to do, but I would do a series of large water changes, but I also recommend using your own RO/DI and salt to be rid of your phosphate issue, but don't do both at the same time, or else #### will really hit the fan. :/

If I were closer, I'd be more than willing to lend you a hand with it all, but I'm a bit far for that.

It did not smell the day of, I did NOT use it yesterday as it smelled bad, like low tide. I was recommended this guy by the locals and trusted him. But it will not happen again.

We dumped 27 gallons of bad foul smelling water yesterday and bought 27 more from the LFS so I got NEW water not the same smelly stuff.

I also have no way to get to the LFS to get water and do not have a RODI system so I am SOL. Trust me I went over all this with A and he and I had a HUGE argument over how he thinks me stressing over the tank is stupid. He thinks I am being over the top with this stress about the change etc, so NO I can't do a WC. I have done 2 in the last 24 hours with water from the LFS I usually go to and all of the water is now gone. Prime is my last option. I have no Car. Mine is totaled since Saturday so no way to transport water. -_-

Thanks SS

Froggspawn is semi fluffed, and I have PE on the Green Polyped Bird..... Seems to be turning the right direction. I will have to check the ammonia again in a hour and then pray all is okay until A get's home with the Prime.

surgicalsense

You only have the one vehicle?

... and as for A assuming your being over the top, you already know the answer to that one only because you have told me the same when I explained my issue ;) recall? So inhale blue and exhale pink.

Timing is bad is all.

You only have the one vehicle?

... and as for A assuming your being over the top, you already know the answer to that one only because you have told me the same when I explained my issue ;) recall? So inhale blue and exhale pink.

Timing is bad is all.

Yep. Only the one car. He has a work Truck but they have it Lo-Jacked and will write him up if he takes it anywhere other then home and work.

I know I did and now all is ..... Okay.......

Whatever I am just going to watch and wait for now as I can't physically do anything. The Attorney is working on getting me a rental car but until then I am SOL and at the whim of A who once again HATES the tank. So I am not going to let myself stress anymore.

At least it's all set up now. The fish are happy! And so is the pistol. IDK everyone is happy eating and moving around. Now though I am not going to feed them for 24-48 hours whatever it takes until this is done. Then I will start ripping skeletons out and restocking.

The Zoas, Palys, Leather all seem Okay, my Green polyped Yellow bird is got PE, the Rose Millie is still got ALOT of color, as does the Tricolor.... IDK some are great others are not. The PearlBerry is bleached but has hints of the color and I can see polyps on it.

IDK I am not going to risk my marriage over trying to explain it to him. He broke the UV by accident the other day to and didn't understand why I was upset. Just not his thing and he doesn't get it. But hey he gets to pay for the replacements I end up getting. His call not mine. <_<

The little Yuma that was dying in the clean tank is looking the best! LMAO he is double the size he was and is coloring up. WTF! :blink:

Oh boy...so sorry this is happening. How are things now?

I know you will turn this baby around and it will be as amazing (and then some) as it was, again!!!!!! I absolutely LOVE the new set-up. Do NOT give up on it ;)

andrewguilfoy

I mostly fight about the money I spend on my tank, and the time I take to set them up. hahah. It's been tough. I work ALL the time, you just kind of make it a part of life, but not making it life. Thats where I get into trouble. Having a move is rough, but I think everything will pull through, and not only that but it might even surprise you how well.

Archived