Innovative Marine Aquariums

~ Candy Land ~ New Pics up Radions are UP! Tons of Top Downs.

FlCandy

Holding u to it ;)

;)

stand looks good, pro-tip, use terry sponge(staining pad) to apply the stain to get it uniform ;) will be lots easier then using a brush if you do a second coat.

Yeah I am going to leave it as be, but good to know! :D

Oh wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You two did an amazing job with that stand!!!!!!

I LOVE it!!!!!! You guys should make them as a side job :happy:

HA! He was so irritated at times with the stand I think that would be asking for disaster! :lol:

Looks great .... can't wait for the move with your tank on it :D

Neither can I and thanks!

Hot damn, that stand is awesome. Puts my homemade stand to shame!

Naw, just went big, I wanted to have the one I wanted first try. I am NOT moving this tank again for a while! ;)

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So now I have to stain it again as A got home and I had to drive my sister to work. I told him it was done but he decided to put another coat of white on the thing and got it all over the edges on the side.

Well he didn't listen and sanded it off now it has huge swirls all over the sides, so mad right now it was done well now the move will be pushed back as I have to get more sand paper before I can do anything. -_-

Why doesn't it's done mean leave it alone its finished?

Euphyllia
Thanks I am a bit PO right now but I really like it. :happy:

Why? About the sloppy white paint job on the inside that should have more white paint in a few areas that you missed around the base? :D

Why? About the sloppy white paint job on the inside that should have more white paint in a few areas that you missed around the base? :D

That is never going to be seen! I do not care about that it's the sloppy white paint job on the back that somehow got onto the sides of the stained wood and then was sanded off as he thought that would help. -_- So now I need to sand the entire thing and restain it as you can't just touch up one side, it will be a different color.

Tomorrow, go buy foam brush, get 300 grit sand paper sand and stain the sides and front. The trim is getting left alone. I am also going to do the top as well.

Leak test the SUMP and do a WC on the tank. Busy day. B) Oh well just getting the darker color anyways seems it was meant to be. :lol:

Sounds like it was meant to be. A blessing in disguise :happy:

Yep, what I told him too, he felt bad and I just said nm it's gotta be done now so no worries!

Going to use Deckoz's suggestion and use the sponge. Now I need to go grab them and more sand paper with a finer grit. B) Be back on later with pics.

Yep, what I told him too, he felt bad and I just said nm it's gotta be done now so no worries!

Going to use Deckoz's suggestion and use the sponge. Now I need to go grab them and more sand paper with a finer grit. B) Be back on later with pics.

It's gonna look great!!!!! That was a great suggestion about the sponge too. I cant wait to see it again :)

I plan on waiting to see what it looks like now that it has coat 2 of the poly stain mix. Pretty shiny IDK if it needs more poly on it.

So sanded - check, stain coat #2 - check. Sun baking it onto the wood for me check. I have to wait until it dries enough for me to touch it so I can roll it back in (we have it on a roller cart!) without leaving fingerprints on it.

Stand is DONE! Time for lunch! :D

Oh and BTW the sponge was so much easier! Never again will I stain with a bristle brush! :lol:

Oh OK, so the stain has the poly in it already?? Cool. :)

Yeah it's Minwax here is the pic

The stain I chose

550120_10150836342394029_659639028_9714156_709642196_n.jpg

Looking good! And yes, go big or go home. LOL.

As far as the stain goes, it depends on what color the other furniture is in the house. IMO, I'd do one more light coat to even it out and do 2 coats of poly with a rag. I'd be concerned about the SW on that nice finish. I guess its really a matter of taste. You got the how-to part down.

Either I missed it or you didn't show us what the front cover will look like?

I haven't got the cover yet, soon, that is going to get done and put on after we are sure all is well, I can cut and stain that any time.

I did end up doing another coat, the silly hubby of mine managed to get white paint on the sides so I had to sand and restain it today. Now there are 2 good coats of the poly and stain on there. I am pretty sure it's safe. I will see when it's dry how well it's covered and maybe add a coat of wipe on poly. For now it's done. I am tired and my arms hurt! :lol:

Marine Depot order shipped, the email cracked me up!

Good news, RANDI!

Your aquarium supplies have been carefully picked from Marine Depot's shelves like delicate berries and placed into a wicker basket lined with unicorn fur. With the grace of a ballerina, we tiptoed them to our packing station where Santa's Elves—who work with us during their off-season—prepared your order for shipment.

Your products were methodically placed in each box using techniques taught to us by a former Tetris World Champion. Using a pair of tweezers, we placed hundreds of packing peanuts one-by-one into every nook and cranny to ensure safe transport. We are proud to share with you that our packing peanuts are reusable, recyclable, biodegradable and made using 100% recycled content. They also do not trigger peanut allergies. Eat your heart out, Mr. Peanut.

Saying goodbye to such sought-after products is always gut-wrenching. That is why we offer employees unlimited handkerchiefs as a part of our generous benefits package. As your order was whisked away at light speed down our assembly line into the loving arms of the shipping courier, our warehouse elves, with tears in their eyes, joined hands and whispered, "Jábba sô kalîk qonay." We don't speak Elvish ourselves, but they tell us the rough translation is "May these supplies bring stability and success to the aquarium and its owner." Wow, we are getting a little choked up ourselves now. Thanks, elves.

As the delivery truck pulled away from our warehouse dock, a rare double rainbow appeared overhead. That's when we knew the products we had raised since they were mere hatchlings were on their way to a better home. Please take care of them and, we promise, they will take care of you.

With sincere appreciation,

The MarineDepot.com Family

:lol:

That is a funny notice!!!! I have some MD stuff arriving today. I checked my email and sure enough...I have the same cute notification :lol:

That's hilarious! :lol:

Made me giggle!

That is a funny notice!!!! I have some MD stuff arriving today. I checked my email and sure enough...I have the same cute notification :lol:

IDK when they started that but I like it!

So here is a crappy phone pic of the stand right before I rolled it inside.

577631_10150848391024029_659639028_9724877_861799682_n.jpg

MUCH darker.

That looks amazing!!!!!!!

Thanks my whole weekend went to that and the tanks. Now it has spilled over onto the 2 extra days off......

Oh well plumbing next! :happy:

Spirofucci
Made me giggle!

IDK when they started that but I like it!

So here is a crappy phone pic of the stand right before I rolled it inside.

577631_10150848391024029_659639028_9724877_861799682_n.jpg

MUCH darker.

Looks like a Louis VII.

Fancy schmancy!!!!

surgicalsense
I plan on waiting to see what it looks like now that it has coat 2 of the poly stain mix. Pretty shiny IDK if it needs more poly on it.

So sanded - check, stain coat #2 - check. Sun baking it onto the wood for me check. I have to wait until it dries enough for me to touch it so I can roll it back in (we have it on a roller cart!) without leaving fingerprints on it.

Stand is DONE! Time for lunch! :D

Oh and BTW the sponge was so much easier! Never again will I stain with a bristle brush! :lol:

Sweet!!! I forget your 3 hrs ahead. I looked at the clock and though she much me brunch because it is only 10 :lol:

I think it looks great, honestly I can not tell it is any darker.

Looks like a Louis VII.

Fancy schmancy!!!!

Thanks! The stain was the thing that made it look so awesome. Glad I went dark and not light.

Sweet!!! I forget your 3 hrs ahead. I looked at the clock and though she much me brunch because it is only 10 :lol:

I think it looks great, honestly I can not tell it is any darker.

Yeah it's 1:30ish here. Man I am running behind, I still need to start the chicken for dinner too. BLEH!

So I should have everything here by the end of the week to get this sucker running, Powerheads should be here today, if the USPS person isn't a lazy ass again and just leave a notice without knocking. I was home all day yesterday, my dog never barked, no one knocked but I got a notice that they tried at 4:20 and I wasn't home......

I have my mail courier.

Got the Koralias just now, awesome seller, packaging was excellent and the powerheads look like new. Would definitely buy from him again. :D

Archived