Pod Your Reef

20gal Commerson's Angler Paradise

altolamprologus

I hand feed him live ghost shimp because there's no other way to hold them until I get feeding tongs, but now I'm scared to do that.

:eek:

LMAO Bet he would think you tasted funny!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ApiratenamedJohn
I was shaking him to get him off of my pipette. Don't worry, he's not THAT strong...yet :P

he will be a vicious little beast when he gets bigger.

altolamprologus

I fell in love on sunday....

I went to one of my LFS's and they had a tiny painted angler the same size as mine...and it was bright yellow :wub:

It's on the pricey side ($70) but I'm ok with paying that much. I'd rather get a second anlger soon so there's no issues with one eating the other, but I also want to make sure I can keep blobface(as he's affectionately called) alive and healthy before adding another.

Ahh what to do?

Also, I got a new macro and a sponge. The macro was labeled "red kelp" so as of yet I have no ID. I'll post a pic soon. And the sponge is from yoshii's tank. It hasn't been doing well but I hope I can revive it with daily feedings. It's a nice purple color, but we're not sure if it's photosynthetic or not :eek: It's probably NPS judging by it's deterioration.

On an unrelated note, my blue sponge has now been named spongeblob.

altolamprologus
You are too cute yourself. Have fun with the new puppy.

I can't decide if I should get him not though. I've only had my angler 3 weeks so I'm not sure I should get another one yet. From what I've read, the 3 month mark is crucial so I want to make it past that first to be sure I'm doing a good job, but I also don't want to miss my opportunity with this guy. The LFS has a population of live Mysid shrimp in the system he's in, but I doubt he's getting any substantial amount food.

altolamprologus
Ah. PM wartskin, maybe he has some advice

I'm hoping he'll chime on this thread. If not, I'll PM him. He'll probably tell me to wait :(

Euphy, these fish change color, you can't find one exactly like that.

Haha, forgive my stupidity. :lol:

I remember hearing that somewhere on TV. On those TV specials about ocean life... Yeah, those. :P

altolamprologus
Love the macro algae. LOVE the fish! :wub: Do you buy live food for him, or is he weened onto frozen completely?

Thanks :) I feed either frozen krill or spirulina brine shrimp once or twice a week and live ghost shrimp once a week. Frozen is more nutritous but I get a much more enthusiastic feeding response with live.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm hoping he'll chime on this thread. If not, I'll PM him. He'll probably tell me to wait :(

Sorry I don't come in this section to often but was wondering how things we're going? Ah I hope you got the other lil guy? I would do it. now you know the things to expect with anglers so to say.....fill it with em...lol....just keep a good eye on your phosphates & nitrates since it will up the load a lil. I had a friend with 3 at one time in his tank man that was a fun tank to watch they would always gesture at each other, shaking and pushing, and yawns. So go for it I say! Ask the LFS for alil better price since you've got one from them already... just remember to make sure its eating and look it over to be in good health. Iam still waiting to find me another if not 2 lil ones

Where's some new pics?

altolamprologus
Sorry I don't come in this section to often but was wondering how things we're going? Ah I hope you got the other lil guy? I would do it. now you know the things to expect with anglers so to say.....fill it with em...lol....just keep a good eye on your phosphates & nitrates since it will up the load a lil. I had a friend with 3 at one time in his tank man that was a fun tank to watch they would always gesture at each other, shaking and pushing, and yawns. So go for it I say! Ask the LFS for alil better price since you've got one from them already... just remember to make sure its eating and look it over to be in good health. Iam still waiting to find me another if not 2 lil ones

Where's some new pics?

I didn't end up getting him :( I figured a couple years down the road, two 6 inch anglers are going to be A LOT of bioload on this tank. But if you think it would be ok, I'll keep an eye out for another cute little guy.

I can get some new pics, but 90% of the time he's sitting on the heater where he's hard to see in pics.

altolamprologus

Chillin on the heater as always

IMG_2370.jpg

New FTS page 1

I'm having hair algae issues :( It's only growing on top of other macros. Is this because of not enough flow?

ApiratenamedJohn
Chillin on the heater as always

IMG_2370.jpg

New FTS page 1

I'm having hair algae issues :( It's only growing on top of other macros. Is this because of not enough flow?

those white little toes are so sick!!

I had GHA grow on my halimeda once as well. The tissue that it is growing on is dead, I would guess, so something in the water is not making them happy.

well that's just my .025, even if it's not much help...what kind of macros do you have? I think some don't like high phos./na., so maybe check that?

altolamprologus
I had GHA grow on my halimeda once as well. The tissue that it is growing on is dead, I would guess, so something in the water is not making them happy.

well that's just my .025, even if it's not much help...what kind of macros do you have? I think some don't like high phos./na., so maybe check that?

Nitrate is 3ppm and I doubt phos is readable. The macros aren't dying though, the GHA is growing on top of the live algae. I will do a large-ish water change this weekend and see if that makes a difference. The problem is ideal water conditions for the macros is the same as for GHA.

i think it depends on the macro. i ask john of reef cleaners, said halimeda like a lower nutrient envirement. at first that made little sense, but i remember when i had halimeda, died due to who knows what. had lots of GHA too

Archived