Cultivated Reef

20gal Commerson's Angler Paradise

altolamprologus

altolamprologus
did you read that "prayer for hope" thread? i think you should...

I did. I'm really hoping(no pun intended) that what he said about angler tanks needing a uv steralizer isn't entirely true. But unlike wartskin's angler, ich would be visable on mine. It's just a matter identifying what is a normal spot and what isn't.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Soak anything that goes into his mouth in a garlic/selcon solution. It improves a fish's health a ton in my experience. Seachem Vitality works well too I hear. Most people say that the reef safe "NO-ICH" doesn't do anything, but it has taken care of minor ich issues for me. If worst comes to worst, pull him out and give him a hardcore med. Get a QT ready just in case.

altolamprologus
why don't you get a UV just in case? arn't they only like $30?

I don't have anywhere to put it. No sump, just a HOB filter.

Soak anything that goes into his mouth in a garlic/selcon solution. It improves a fish's health a ton in my experience. Seachem Vitality works well too I hear. Most people say that the reef safe "NO-ICH" doesn't do anything, but it has taken care of minor ich issues for me. If worst comes to worst, pull him out and give him a hardcore med. Get a QT ready just in case.

The brine shrimp he ate earlier was soaked in garlic and I gutload his live shrimp with garlic/HUFA/amino acid soaked otohime pellets. I also added 2 drops of garlic extract to the water today and will do that every few days to combat any free-swimming ich. In my experience, garlic works very well when ich is caught early so I'm hoping that's all I need to do. If need be, I do have a QT tank and will treat him with formalin.

I don't have anywhere to put it. No sump, just a HOB filter.

The brine shrimp he ate earlier was soaked in garlic and I gutload his live shrimp with garlic/HUFA/amino acid soaked otohime pellets. I also added 2 drops of garlic extract to the water today and will do that every few days to combat any free-swimming ich. In my experience, garlic works very well when ich is caught early so I'm hoping that's all I need to do. If need be, I do have a QT tank and will treat him with formalin.

They have some HOB UV sterilizers out there, I think aquatraders had some that were HOB and In Line just needed a pump. I may end up ordering one too down the road.

Only add it to the food. There are millions of drops of water in your tank, and if you add 2 drops that's so dilute that it won't help at all. If you add it to the food, it goes straight into the fish.

altolamprologus
They have some HOB UV sterilizers out there, I think aquatraders had some that were HOB and In Line just needed a pump. I may end up ordering one too down the road.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

Only add it to the food. There are millions of drops of water in your tank, and if you add 2 drops that's so dilute that it won't help at all. If you add it to the food, it goes straight into the fish.

You'd be surprised how well such a tiny amount of garlic works. Garlic given to the fish helps with immune function, while garlic in the water kills the ich directly. The free swiming stage of ich is super-succeptible to the affects of allicin so even a very small amount helps.

altolamprologus

I got my reefcleaners order today :D

IMG_2117.jpg

I ordered 25 dwarf ceriths and this is how many they sent me AFTER I moved 20 of them to my other tank.

IMG_2118.jpg

IMG_2130.jpg

Pencil cap and penny mermaid's fan

IMG_2123.jpg

Red grape and Flame algae

IMG_2125.jpg

Fire fern

IMG_2131.jpg

Right side

IMG_2134.jpg

Left side

IMG_2135.jpg

FTS

IMG_2121.jpg

My hermit continues to refuse to leave the sponge. This is the 5th day in a row he's been there.

IMG_2137.jpg

The angler trying to lure the hermit to him

IMG_2091.jpg

The only thing that sucks is I'm missing my ulva and Laurencia :( Everything else was great though.

Silly angler! :wub:

Looks good, how do you like the fire fern? Thats the red macro you put on the main rock pile right? I was thinking about a macro or something I could put right into the tank but would still look nice.

altolamprologus
Silly angler! :wub:

Looks good, how do you like the fire fern? Thats the red macro you put on the main rock pile right? I was thinking about a macro or something I could put right into the tank but would still look nice.

I've only had it for about 3 hours, but so far I really like it. It doesn't look it's best right now because it was in a box for 2 days, but it's still cool. I'll post more pics as everything shakes off the shripping stress and starts growing.

Cool cool I am placing an order on Monday and may want to add one to the cart so I have something I can grow in the tank as a real plant and still have it not take over.

Looks great!

And your angler is so cute! Can't believe he is trying to eat the hermie! LMAO :P

Funny lil fish hunting hermits :lol: I hope the best for your angler keep us posted the only thing with these fish its hard to catch signs of ich and by the time ya do its to late, plus the fish has camo in its dna and can change its appearance so its tough to tell, if i had knew I would have had 5 i would have tried numerous life savers, fresh water dip, med stuffed food, hypo, ect, I've noticed signs in the eyes when things are going south but iam sure yours will be fine

altolamprologus
Cool cool I am placing an order on Monday and may want to add one to the cart so I have something I can grow in the tank as a real plant and still have it not take over.

Looks great!

And your angler is so cute! Can't believe he is trying to eat the hermie! LMAO :P

Funny lil fish hunting hermits :lol: I hope the best for your angler keep us posted the only thing with these fish its hard to catch signs of ich and by the time ya do its to late, plus the fish has camo in its dna and can change its appearance so its tough to tell, if i had knew I would have had 5 i would have tried numerous life savers, fresh water dip, med stuffed food, hypo, ect, I've noticed signs in the eyes when things are going south but iam sure yours will be fine

Thanks guys, he really is a goofball. He likes hanging out on the heater and filter intake and when he wants to get to his favorite spots, he lets go of the rock and jets water out his gill to propell himself :lol:

I'm starting to think my original assumption of ich was wrong. I was looking very very closely at the white spots today and noticed that they appear to be on the surface of his skin rather than underneath it and some were moving a tiny bit in the current. I thing it's just flecks of dirt he picks up when he walks through the macros.

ApiratenamedJohn

I have a quick question. How would an angler do in a bc14? I'm thinking of swapping out the current stock (which my gf surprised me with one afternoon) for a small angler or something. Or maybe just put the angler In and let it eat the current inhabitants? Currently there is a six line and a purple dartfish calling it home.

altolamprologus
I have a quick question. How would an angler do in a bc14? I'm thinking of swapping out the current stock (which my gf surprised me with one afternoon) for a small angler or something. Or maybe just put the angler In and let it eat the current inhabitants? Currently there is a six line and a purple dartfish calling it home.

Wartskin anglers are(I believe) the smallest of the common anglers and it should to fine in a BC14. Mine is a painted angler and would probably get too big for a BC14. You should take out the current livestock first though because if he tries to eat something that's just a bit too big for him he could choke and die.

@Wartskin: feel free to add anything else

ApiratenamedJohn

Wartskin anglers are(I believe) the smallest of the common anglers and it should to fine in a BC14. Mine is a painted angler and would probably get too big for a BC14. You should take out the current livestock first though because if he tries to eat something that's just a bit too big for him he could choke and die.

Thanks Im gonna get a hold of the lfs if they can't do store credit I'll just put the fish up for free here on NR.

altolamprologus
Just be aware that anglers are a risky fish to buy

Post more pics of your lil nugget :D

He's chilling in his favorite spot right now

IMG_2143.jpg

Even though I protest naming my fish, my mom calls him Blobby and my brother calls him derp-face. I can't say I'm fond of either of them...

He's chilling in his favorite spot right now

IMG_2143.jpg

Even though I protest naming my fish, my mom calls him Blobby and my brother calls him derp-face. I can't say I'm fond of either of them...

So cute! He blends in and everything. Are there any anglers that would stay small enough to not eat a perc? :lol:

Name him Fluffeh or Mr. Snuffles. :P

altolamprologus
So cute! He blends in and everything. Are there any anglers that would stay small enough to not eat a perc? :lol:

Name him Fluffeh or Mr. Snuffles. :P

As a rule I never name my fish. It's always been a curse so I refuse to do it anymore.

No, anglers try to eat anything their size or smaller.

I would like to see a vid of when he jets off of there!

So cute! :wub:

I'll try to get a vid, but I never know when he's going to do it. Although he does get this "look" to him just before he launches himself off.

altolamprologus
your tank looks great alto

that angler is soo cyooooooooooooot :wub:

Thanks :) I really hope he lives a long, full life and doesn't have the same fate many other anglers have.

Soooo cute! :3

I vote Blobby!

Archived