Pod Your Reef

Tanked!

wartskin

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And you are not listening. They did not fill the tank from a hose on a hot water tap line. Either the water they brought in was too hot from being in the vegas or that they ran water through their on site RO and it was coming out too warm or the entire thing was fake.

The producers piece this junk together to make you feel the drama. Even if they put a hose on a tap line and it was coming out too hot and they used RO ice to cool it down, they didn't add fish that night. Fake, for TV.

nope, it's cold in the desert at night. The water was almost frozen so they hooked up a hot water tap line to get it up. But they put in too much so they needed ice that they fished out of the urinals.

After the temp was right they dumped in all the expensive fish. The next day when the tank was relieved everything was floating and it was so embarrassing. But on TV... they had CG artists make it look like they were all alive. If you look closely at those scenes, you can see the pixels.

Do me a favor, watch the video on this page. http://animal.discovery.com/videos/tanked-in-hot-water.html @ :39 what do you see? I see a hose running from a water line attached to the wall, not a truck. Look at the footage immediately after that. The water is coming from the same hose into a barely filled tank. If you're telling me that the Tropicana has a hot RO line, I'd half-heartedly inclined to believe you since it IS Las Vegas.

Also if you're trying to sell a show, what looks better, a leaky water line running from the wall or a line running from a water truck used specifically for their tank builds? I'd go with the latter. Tap water, RO water, RO ice, water from a special truck, the iceberg that sank the Titanic, it doesn't really matter since it's going to be fish only tank. Dechlorinate the SOB, throw in the salt mix and check the SG and temp.

I don't appreciate your accusation that I'm not paying attention when it is clearly you who is guilty of not paying attention. I am not under the impression that everything was done in a day. I'm not a part of the "industry" nor did I have the "privilege" of having a booth next to Brett Rayner at MACNA and rubbing elbows with him. In the same sense I am not nor have been in a position to be jaded by a cable network semi-celebrity who's show is the topic of this thread.

Let me know when you're ready to put on your big boy K-Swiss and hug it out.

Ive watched all the first series now. Anyone know when the next series starts?

I agree that the lack of information in regard to cycling a tank is not good, but on a whole its a really interesting show and will no doubt boost interest in the hobbie.

I cant see many people just going out, buying a tank, putting tap water in it and then throwing fish in. For a start the program makes a lot of point of showing the filter systems and stuff, people with a little bit of sense are going to do some research and then hopefully work out its not a fast process. Also most responsible shops will give good advice rather then letting people just buy a load of fish.

Good show tho and can only help the whole industry, yer its annoying seeing loads of fish and coral going into a brand new tank thats just been filled up but it wouldnt be good tv if they set up an amazing looking tank. Only put water in it and then came back 6 weeks later to see it nicely gone all green.

As far as I'm aware, a marine biologist would know way more about localized endangerment than a run-of-the-mill hobbyist (myself included) would. You haven't necessarily disproven that by providing a population check. Please PM me if you would like to continue as I will not respond to any future posts. This topic is about Tanked - nothing else. I would doubt people would appreciate sifting through this topic to find 1-2 pages about Finding Nemo and its effects on clownfish.

If you're going to prattle on about this Marine Biologist's opinion, point me to the peer review article that supports it with evidence, rather than an observation that one particular area seemed to have fewer clownfish than the last time he dove there, and further to that, that it was directly related to increased demand for clownfish in the aquarium.

Anybody here seen the show Sons of Guns?!?! they do the same exact thing with them... Film 2-3 weeks worth of stuff and cut it down into 30mins-1hr of program. This is about entertainment, the average non-reefer isn't going to be thrilled with watching an empty tank cycle for a couple weeks. On Sons of Guns they take out ALL the actual gun work and murder the show to only include drama, ridiculous "deadlines", and finished product. Worst part is both shows use the phrase "if you can dream it, we can build it." Any person into actual gunsmithing loses it when watching Sons of Guns because they make it so ridiculous and cut out all details. If you don't like what they're doing in the show, don't watch. Otherwise you're increasing their ratings and helping them to stay on for another season.

I watch the show because it tempts my wife into allowing me to get a bigger tank!

P.S. Swamp People, now that's a SHOW!

And i love Nemo, when my friends' kids come over and see my tank they are fascinated because they actually realize it's not a damn goldfish, it's saltwater. This leads into a discussion of the difficulties of keeping a reef tankand the work involved.Also, that's it's not necessarily expensive like most people think, but it can be a good bit of work.

Do me a favor, watch the video on this page. http://animal.discovery.com/videos/tanked-in-hot-water.html @ :39 what do you see? I see a hose running from a water line attached to the wall, not a truck. Look at the footage immediately after that. The water is coming from the same hose into a barely filled tank.

All I see is two separate shots put together. You need to realize that there is weeks of footage put together to make 47 mins of TV. Is the water really coming out of the tap into the tank? You can't prove that. I do know they usually bring their own water, or bring in their own RO system.

And even if they didn't most freaked out by scene because the producers edited it to make it seem like they put hot tap water in, and after cooling it with ice they put the fish in the same night.

Also if you're trying to sell a show, what looks better, a leaky water line running from the wall or a line running from a water truck used specifically for their tank builds? I'd go with the latter.

You are correct. ATM doesn't produce or edit the show.

I don't appreciate your accusation that I'm not paying attention when it is clearly you who is guilty of not paying attention.

You're not paying attention to the fact of editing. How do you know that that water really was coming out of the hotel?

Honestly guys. I was in television production for 7 years and when doing stuff like this we record dozens of hours of footage and only a small fraction makes the cut. On top of that, editing can completely turn what really happened into something else.

Stop being so self righteous about this crap. Don't watch the show and if you really find so much issue with it, why don't you tell them instead of whining here.

why don't you tell them instead of whining here.

People are going to share their opinions about things on discussion forums on the internet. If it makes you upset, maybe stop reading it?

HecticDialectics
People are going to share their opinions about things on discussion forums on the internet. If it makes you upset, maybe stop reading it?

If you want him to stop reading it maybe you should stop posting it?

You seem awfully angry about something. We're having a discussion about a TV show. Lighten up.

Lol you're telling me to lighten up about a TV show, but your up and arms about their husbandry practice? P

Archived