SaltCritters.com

Peter's petite pair of picos

castiel

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay first of all - scallop update!

Now a few pics. Don't really show much of interest (flouro mushrooms tend to look like mushrooms on the camera), but new additions are new additions ...

On the left

IMG_20111204_172945.jpg

Pale looking GSP - hoping it colours up

IMG_20111204_173002.jpg

The large green flouro mushie decided to take a hike, and still doesn't look too happy squished in the corner here. Has a 'centrepiece' like a little brown mushroom sticking out of its mouth still, I assume its guts ... so hope it finds a good place and recovers.

IMG_20111204_173009.jpg

The orange flouro in Ang's tank left the rock it was originally on already, and positioned itself underneath a large purple. Dumbass.

IMG_20111204_173019.jpg

Thanks for the comment =0)

Nah, doubt it is much more work than one tank. Double the cost of course ... !

Water changes are once per week and usually around 60% - each tank is 13 litres, so 26 total - minus a few for rock and sand, and we use up a 15 litre bucket between the two.

Sweet mushrooms man. I love the metallic Orange mushrooms. My fiancee had some in her 2.5 when it was up but they didn't recover after we moved them to her new tank. The tanks are lookin awesome as always, nice job.

Felt like random picture Wednesday was upon me, so here are some. Light looks a bit odd because the PAR38 is on full blue, the Dymax LEDs are on full white+blue.

Ang's:

IMG_20111207_210322.jpg

IMG_20111207_210335.jpg

IMG_20111207_210343.jpg

IMG_20111207_210514.jpg

Mine:

IMG_20111207_210414.jpg

IMG_20111207_210420.jpg

IMG_20111207_210434.jpg

IMG_20111207_210440.jpg

IMG_20111207_210505.jpg

Yesterday was the first 30C (86F - yes it is the start of summer here, weird huh?) and the tank temperature climbed up to 82F from their normal 78F.

Today is forecast to be 32C/90F so I decided to leave the air conditioner on, set to 25C/77F. Hope it's enough to keep the temp down.

Guess my electric bill is going to be pretty high for a few months!

New additions.

Sun coral for Ang's tank (already opening up, not sure if that's a good or bad sign, haha). Guy at the LFS (new one we had never been to before on the other side of town) was pretty good at making it clear what the care requirements were.

When we very first got the picos, Ang saw the closed up sun corals and wanted one, but I talked her out of it. Seeing this awesome little colony for only $20, we decided it was time.

IMG_20111210_143638.jpg

I got a neon green rhodactis

IMG_20111210_143714.jpg

And a tiny piece of chalice. I think I found something that is cheaper in Australia than the US - they had so many chalices and for so cheap - this little piece cost me $5 I think it was. This isn't its final resting home, but a good place to prop it up for a while until I work out where it will go.

IMG_20111210_143720.jpg

IMG_20111210_143729.jpg

Lookin good. I have been thinkin about doing an nos of some kind in my tank. I think I'm leaning towards a sun coral. What are you going to feed it?

That is an interesting looking sun. I feed mine mysis.

L

Yeah they had a few different kinds, the ones like you have, llj (faulkneri?), larger single heads which I think were Balanophyllia ...

But I am struggling to find anything that looks like the one we have with thinner dark stems.

As for feeding, obviously only got it yesterday but we started with a phyto/coral food/brine shrimp mix syringed over each head. I've been reading up on techniques to feed but any tips welcomed!

[edit]hmm closest pic I could find was tubastrea coccinea. Or maybe it is just a real, old coral, and the stems are well weathered?

250px-Suncoral1.jpg

Yeah they had a few different kinds, the ones like you have, llj (faulkneri?), larger single heads which I think were Balanophyllia ...

But I am struggling to find anything that looks like the one we have with thinner dark stems.

As for feeding, obviously only got it yesterday but we started with a phyto/coral food/brine shrimp mix syringed over each head. I've been reading up on techniques to feed but any tips welcomed!

[edit]hmm closest pic I could find was tubastrea coccinea. Or maybe it is just a real, old coral, and the stems are well weathered?

250px-Suncoral1.jpg

It does bear a resemblance to coccinea. I'll have to keep coccinea in mind, it's a Caribbean species. :D I do indeed have faulkneri and micrantha (The black tubastraea I have). Could be an older coral. Be careful that the darkening isn't a sign of something amiss. They need a lot of flow, and to be fed.

I've been tempting mine with cyclops ease to get them open, then I slam mysis in their mouths with a pipette. don't worry about getting it into the hole, as long as the food lands on a tenticle, woohoo, party for the polyp's mouth. They'll do a lot to get the food into their own mouths. Your's looks a bit more like micrantha in feeding style, so their tenticles will do a lot for them.

Ang has the gorgonian too, right?

Yep, same tank as the gorgonian (which is doing really well), so now two NPS to cater for. They are also placed quite close to each other, so the phyto/cyclopeeze feeding of the gorg will drift onto the suns also.

Surprised so far how much they are coming out during the day, could be a sign they are hungry I guess? So far have fed them twice with a syringe full of 'stuff'.

They are in high flow, but not shaded from the light - though at least on the side of the tank so not getting the full blast from the PAR.

Yep, same tank as the gorgonian (which is doing really well), so now two NPS to cater for. They are also placed quite close to each other, so the phyto/cyclopeeze feeding of the gorg will drift onto the suns also.

Surprised so far how much they are coming out during the day, could be a sign they are hungry I guess? So far have fed them twice with a syringe full of 'stuff'.

They are in high flow, but not shaded from the light - though at least on the side of the tank so not getting the full blast from the PAR.

According to Borneman, the lighting isn't as important as feeding & flow. They'll do fine under light. In the wild, they're found in dark overhangs, yes, but also in full sunlight, so go figure.

Yes, they eat a lot. It surprises me how much food they can put away.

I agreed, Squared, he does get some nifty corals. :)

Maybe they are nifty because they are different to the ones you get in the U S of A =0p

Talking of which ... saw a blood/fire shrimp today at an LFS for the first time. $180 :mellow:

Maybe they are nifty because they are different to the ones you get in the U S of A =0p

Talking of which ... saw a blood/fire shrimp today at an LFS for the first time. $180 :mellow:

$180!!!!! Holy moly! That's like 6 of them in the US. You gonna get one?

It would be cool to get my hands on some coccinea, I could see that in my Caribbean biotope. :)

From what I read online, coccinea is Indo-Pacific in origin, and introduced to the Caribbean. But no idea when, for all I know it was 10,000 years ago =0)

From what I read online, coccinea is Indo-Pacific in origin, and introduced to the Caribbean. But no idea when, for all I know it was 10,000 years ago =0)

I could also put dwarf lionfish in my Caribbean biotope too. We now have a breeding population in Miami waters. :lol:

The first two days we had them, we fed the sun corals just liquid - cyclopeeze, phyto, coral food mix.

Last night we fed them mysis ... and oh my what voracious eaters they are! They 'snatch' the shrimp (we hand fed with tweezers this time) and suck it in, even if it is bigger than they are. Was great fun to watch.

l3GpV.jpg

LvJeT.jpg

Oh yeah, that's hardcore...

Here's mine chomping on some mysis.

f417ed3b.jpg

The black sun is even more fun. But he's best seen with video. :lol:

I worry ever so slightly about my panda goby. But he's very fast.

Hmm hadn't thought about the goby, haha.

Also just re-read your post about the LFS training them to eat ... the guy at our LFS said they would, and I guess we got lucky that they do so well. They seem to come out all during the day and have eaten easily.

Placement of my little chalice frag? Vertically here, attached with a splodge of putty and glue:

Zcezg.jpg

Yay or nay?

Also - the 'eyes' - should they face up or down? Or doesn't it matter? haha. Here is the frag:

IMG_20111210_143720.jpg

Archived