Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Peter's petite pair of picos

castiel

No ceiling suspension, we rent. Kyle I just looked at your thread actually and it seems that the arm type lamp supports your PAR ... maybe I just need to find the right one.

The search continues ...

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No ceiling suspension, we rent. Kyle I just looked at your thread actually and it seems that the arm type lamp supports your PAR ... maybe I just need to find the right one.

The search continues ...

Damn, I put holes in my apartment all the time :D

Mine is a par30, probably half the size of the bulb you have there, that is why my fixture is supporting it.

You can try a lamp tree like guys have done with the GU10 LEDs

Yuck, Ikea. I guess I might have to face it to see what they have. I'd rather stab my own hand ... but you are right, they might have something.

So ... if I could possibly get a picture, my post in teh ID forum would be epic "There's something with tiny claws living in my brain?". Alas, there is no way a pic will be possible.

But yes, I dropped a few pellets onto the brain yesterday and one ended up resting on the front damaged area of the brain, which shows exposed skeleton (and is dark brown as it has been exposed for a long time). I was sitting there trying to spot the tiny feather duster that lives in the brain skeleton also (actually I think there are 2-3, bright red with tiny dusters) when I see these tiny little claws come out of the brain skeleton and try to pull the pellet in. Claws that looked a bit like the claws shrimp have rather than crabs - itty bitty pincers. I am talking so small you can barely see ... wtf? Anyone have any idea of what this could be? Can shrimp be so small and live parasitically inside an open brain skeleton?

Hmm maybe. Or ... do amphipods have claw like things? I just remembered seeing that one in my tank before.

Anyway, I haven't spotted it again of course, but I will keep an eye out.

On the lamp fixture ... trip to Ikea: Unsuccessful. I might well have to see how much it would cost Boost to send one after all!

maybe it was an isopod. some have tiny, mantis shrimp-like front claws that grasp things like food.

also amphipods do have claws for grasping.

hmm after some Googling I am leaning more towards amphipod/isopod. The 'claws' are more like pincers from what I could see, rather than tencacle/claws like the barnacle seems to have. I will have to see if I can spot it again and get a better look, maybe tempt it out with some brine shrimp or something!

Good news today - found a tank sitter! Complete noob who has no clue, but at least they can visit every few days to feed and top up.

Good news today - found a tank sitter! Complete noob who has no clue, but at least they can visit every few days to feed and top up.

my personal experience with noobs & tank sitting had a sad ending.

Make sure to have all food pre portioned out, so that way there is no confusion as to how much goes in the tank. Very specific directions also help.

Last person i had tank sit, thought my fish looked hungry & fed a weeks worth of food everyday for 7 days. Ignored my instructions to top off with RO (used hot tap water instead, because the tank felt cold to her hand) Needless to say i came home to a mess.

The worst part about my experience is that it's my mother in law. Now she is no longer allowed near any of my tanks

Haha I am pretty sure it will all be fine. She is coming over before we go away so I can demonstrate very clearly how to feed and top up, and then I will be writing out an instruction sheet which I will stick to the side of the tanks, just to be sure =0)

So interestingly I did a nitrate test last night and found that both tanks have exactly the same amount (well, as exact as an API test is) - around 10-20ppm. So the water changes this weekend will be larger than normal (thinking 90% instead of the usual 70%) to try and reset that. Maybe I am feeding too much myself. I had thought though that given the vastly different rocks, that Ang's tank would have higher nitrates than mine, her rock being much 'dirtier' and full of crap!

Wow, well apparently the brain was so happy that it ate one of my mushrooms! My wife is home (sent home with a bad back) and sent me the above pic, and just sent a message to say that the small purple mushroom the brain was covering is now gone! Didn't realise that an open brain would consumer a mushroom?? Crazy.

So turns out my open brain did not eat/absorb the mushroom after all ... but it did cause it to completely melt off the rock .... but it looks like it is now just on the move to another rock.

Well first the exciting news - new additions! Ang got a cynarina, and I got two rhodactis with a HH paly between them. They are still acclimating to will post pics once they are a bit more settled.

Now the crappy news ... we were all set for a water change, Ang had pulled out the bubble algae from her tank and had syphoned half of her water out ... so I go to get the heated saltwater that I keep in a plastic tub with heater and pump, only to find it full of black crap. Little balls of black that disintegrated to the touch, but really dirty looking water. So we first of all decide to put the old water back into Ang's tank (even though there was a cup full of my water, bubble algae remains and all) because we had no other water heated. Investigating the water, I realise that the pump has this crap in it, so I rinse it clean, run it in fresh water for a while, etc. Put some new saltwater in a bucket, add the pump ... more crap! I think the suction cups on the pump had disintegrated and the black crap was rubber/plastic. So I had to empty yet another bucket of saltwater down the drain, and start to heat another bucket full.

The big concern I have now is that these cheap arse heaters are also in the pico tanks. So first thing I did was order some proper powerheads (koralias), hope they arrive soon and the same doesn't happen as in my heating tub.

Some bad pics of the new additions:

Cynarina not yet opened properly:

IMG_20111031_200006.jpg

IMG_20111031_195946.jpg

Rhodactis and the HH paly (kinda ugly, but I guess it can stay!)

IMG_20111031_195911.jpg

IMG_20111031_195922.jpg

IMG_20111031_200030.jpg

I am going to do a bit of rearranging today ... so will post pics again later with new FTS.

Archived