inTank Media Baskets

Peter's petite pair of picos

castiel

By the way, forgot to mention ... but aiptasia must be like candy for peppermint shrimp. After hiding under a rock for an hour, I looked an hour later (so 2 hours after introducing) and all four aiptasia growths, both small and wispy and large 'zoa' looking varieties had disappeared. Awesome.

The little bugger likes to hide in the back behind the rock, so we can only just see his antennae, so not very exciting yet as an addition. By comparison, the ghost shrimp love to come and feed, swim around the tank (much to the annoyance of the YCGs).

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

omgomgomg

IMG_20111018_181824.jpg

So I am a bit of a dumbass, or naive, or both ... but I had no idea a PAR lamp would be this big!! Look at it dwarfing my IQ5s!

IMG_20111018_181840.jpg

Good thing I didn't buy the clamp lamp I was looking at today as there is no way it would anywhere near fit this beast.

Can't wait to get it set up though!

I am thinking of seeing how that goes, yes. I know the optics are quite narrow though (30deg), so will have to see if I can get it high enough.

Now to find a damn fixture!

While the light gets a fixture ... here are a few more pics.

Latest FTS for my tank:

IMG_20111018_182802.jpg

Porky:

IMG_20111019_083522.jpg

Damage the hammer is doing to the favia

IMG_20111018_182858.jpg

Slightly better pic of the cyphastrea showing polyps out (still not as far out as at the LFS)

IMG_20111016_100028.jpg

FTS Ang's tank:

IMG_20111018_182821.jpg

Ang's peppermint:

IMG_20111019_083551.jpg

New ric:

IMG_20111018_182827.jpg

Coralline growth (as well as bubble algae)

IMG_20111018_195228.jpg

That is in the plans for the weekend. There are three bubbles in different places around the tank ... I just got a large syringe and tube to be able to suck them out as soon as I scrape it off.

Builder Anthony

I dont even know how many things my frogspawn has stung already.I even seen it battle it out with the new green coral i had yesterday night but it looks like they broke even.Both corals sweepers were stuck to each other and i just used my finger to unlacth them.None show any damage though.So i moved it for like the tenth time.In your tank though that thing is really close to the favia and i can tell it took out those heads probally from a single night.It doesnt look like its opened all the way either in your tank which might mean it could really take out the favia.Basicly if it touches anything it will sting it candycanes mushrooms etc.

Yeah it expands much fuller than shown in the pic here, but with the little rock ledge above it is sheilded from most of the favia - just that one spot it touches, and I saw its sweepers on there the other night also. I think it also touches the kenya tree that is stuck to the candy cane rock - but it seems to keep bouncing back after deflating from being touched.

When you say sting candy canes, I assume that's just the head and not the rock bodies? The hammer touches those all the time without hurting it I believe.

If and when it gets bigger I will have to think about re-homing I think ... hopefully to my 17G which should be up and running in a couple of months.

Haha, well I don't have small hands - it's freaking huge! Should be going tomorrow to find a fixture ... or maybe even this afternoon.

So my hammer definitely likes the taste of favia ...

IMG_20111021_104626.jpg

Is the hammer forming two heads you think?

IMG_20111021_104942.jpg

and I think one of Ang's rics is trying to move ...

IMG_20111021_104739.jpg

Euphyllia sp. are difficult to find the appropriate 'scape' for in picos. They get big, fast! Be wareful for your other livestock, wouldnt want to lose anything! Looking forward to pics of the tanks with the new light. And for some reason, i think i like 'her' tank better <_<

Haha well each to their own.

So, #### a duck, I went to buy a clamp on swing arm lamp ... only to find that it is not damn well strong enough to hold this beasty lamp up. So back to the store it goes tomorrow, damnit. Having seen the light on (holding it up) between the tanks, I am not sure it is going to work across both ... I think the optics are too narrow. Which is fine, Ang can have both Dymax LEDs, I will have the PAR =0)

Haha well each to their own.

So, #### a duck, I went to buy a clamp on swing arm lamp ... only to find that it is not damn well strong enough to hold this beasty lamp up. So back to the store it goes tomorrow, damnit. Having seen the light on (holding it up) between the tanks, I am not sure it is going to work across both ... I think the optics are too narrow. Which is fine, Ang can have both Dymax LEDs, I will have the PAR =0)

lmao, i did the same thing! it drooped down with the weight of the darn bulb in it! You could get the one from from boost? i mean its only 39.99 but i dont know about the shipping cost... THIS ONE

Yeah I expect shipping will be $30-40 down here too, so would cost as much as the lamp!

I will try another, this time with a flexi-neck rather than the swivel type.

So the one I bought today was like this

4844C67E86F20127E1008000AC193D36.JPG

But they have some like this (less height adjustable - though as it is clamping to the shelf above the tanks should be okay)

brilliant-desk-lamp-ozzie-99710-11-sq-870x870p.jpg

So suggestions for what I can use instead?

If there are bolts on the pivot points of your swing lamp, perhaps you can tighten them with a wrench ("spanner?") to make it stiffer?

yeah, there aren't - just a plastic tightening screw.

I am going to take a look at a few stores today, sure I will find something!

Archived