Coral Vue Hydros

Peter's petite pair of picos

castiel

that is a trumpet coral (or candy cane which ever one you prefer) and that is a duncan coral. the bonus is a kenya tree perhaps?

yup, looks like a Kenya tree.

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome, I was thinking about getting one of those at some point! And thanks for confirming trumpet/candy cane, that's what I figured but wasn't sure if there were different types.

I'm going with Kenya tree as well. Your tanks are looking great castiel. I'm glad you got lucky with a ycg that eats. My fiance had one that was doing great for a while then just stopped eating. I hope everything goes well while you're away. I always get nervous when I'm away from my tank as well, but I have never been away for that long.

So ... what do people think about a porcelain anemone crab in these tanks? Our LFS has a stack of them and I looked at them today, but as they called them just 'anemone crabs' I wasn't certain what they were. Now I realise they are porcelains, which by all accounts are great inverts to have. Thoughts?

I have one in my 28g that came as a hitch hicker and I like him a lot, they are cool to watch with those big mits they have to catch food. He never bothers anything but stays hidden most of the time. Mine is the pink one with red dots, don't know the real name.

Cool. I might have to go get one tomorrow for my tank (and one for Ang's, if she wants one!).

Here's an example of one (the LFS in question posts pics on Facebook!). But they have much smaller ones than this.

KMcIP.jpg

porcelain crabs are awesome! I have one in my 14 gallon biocube and if you can find him to watch him its pretty cool. They constantly filter the water column with their fans. You might see one a lot more often in your tank because its smaller.

Haha well the pic and angle make him look much bigger in that shot than he is. So both of the crabs we bought are missing both a leg and a claw. Hope they grow back!

Here are a few pics - mine has a big fat claw, Ang's a smaller claw.

Ang's:

IMG_20110925_151255.jpg

IMG_20110925_151308.jpg

IMG_20110925_165023.jpg

Mine:

IMG_20110925_151418.jpg

IMG_20110925_151445.jpg

IMG_20110925_151518.jpg

RAWR

IMG_20110925_151528.jpg

I hope the fact that they are immune to anemones means they are the same to hammers ... mine jumped out of the net and landed straight on top of it =0/

I also did a bit of rearranging and glued a few things down (finally got some corafix), so those pics to come too.

really nice crab ;) mine is hiding during the day and comes at night i fed him only twice.

And few days ago another mue :)

the crab is on the upper rock and the mue is next to the thermometer (oops dirty window..)

dsc03016.jpg

Well so far the two crabs have behaved very differently! Mine has sat under the large rock down the side and has barely moved ... Ang's has been roaming all over the place and has already made a comfy couch out of the zoas, the torch, the clove polyps and the xenia! Fun to watch it waving its arms around. Hopefully mine will become less shy once it settles in ...

Crab seems to be doing well, he's moved from his original spot eventually =0)

The postman today delivered ...

HzEQJ.png

Two Nimble Nanos! They are so CUTE, haha. Tiny little things but the magnet is really powerful. Not sure how they compare with the nano mag, but I like the look of these better and wouldn't be against keeping it in the tank.

Got a free replacement pad set thrown in too, which was a nice bonus!

I'm doing about 50% weekly now, but I'm only keeping Palys & Zoas in my 2.5g. My 8g gets the same. We don't have sumps, how else are we supposed to keep the water clean & keep params good?

I think with the Salt mixes improving, & people being turned off by large amounts of hardware, there is a definite trend towards larger water changes in picos. Having followed marine journals for years, I've been noticing this.

i got the same cleaner - they are pretty good... but for some reason they aren't liked very much on the forum.

also got the free replacement pad - very thoughtful of the seller.

the original design might not be liked (I have that one) but this one pictured is a bit different. they probably improved its strength as the old one wasn't very strong. then nano mag (the best magnet cleaner i have right now) is strong and nice. perhaps they can now be comparable.

I actually ordered a couple of the nimble nano's as well and I didnt get any replacement pads and i havent been too impressed with the strength of the magnets. My two little fishies magnet is the best one that I have tried. hopefully yours works better than mine do...

Well at the moment I still don't have anything for it to clean off! Since I had a small bloom and changed my phosphate remover, my glass has remained clean. Whether that's due to no algae or just the trochus chugging around I don't know, but I guess I am lucky =0)

Porcelain crabs are so cool to watch. Even though they don't move around the tank much, their filtering behavious are fascinating.

Archived