Cultivated Reef

Peter's petite pair of picos

castiel

All survived nicely, in fact my tank was looking awesome when I got back today, the orange morph and the hammer were both huge, and the brain was nicely puffed up.

Didn't attempt to remove the worm yet, but looking at chip's thread I definitely will be! In fact I've not seen my snail for some time so have already been wondering if he was made a meal of ...

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have been sitting here with the tank lights off but the room lights on, wandered to take a look at the tank and see 2-3 stomatella crawling around the rock! One has a black 'shell', one a pinky colour (though it's small, so maybe a baby?). There may be another sitting behind my pump, can't see properly.

An initial 'eww' followed by a forum search has reassured me that these are helpful little critters and I should be happy to see them!

Talking of helpful critters .. saw the snail today for the first time in weeks, so I guess he isn't bristle worm food after all.

I think Chipp's worm was some other kind. You appear to have a bristle worm which is nearly universal in LR and quite harmless. I have at least 6 in my tank that I've seen, which means I probably have 12+. No need to pull him out unless you witness him doing evil deeds.

That worm is huge. I've not seen anything like that in my tanks yet, and I hope I don't. LOLOL

Otherwise, I'd love to have a tank as lovely as yours.

Thanks, llj =0)

I noticed yesterday that I am started to get some algae on the top of the thermometer and on the glass around it. Maybe my phosphate remover needs replacing ... I guess it has been a month in there.

We also decided to put the phosphate remover in Ang's tank as the algae was starting to cover all of the glass. Also repositioned Ang's ricordea as it never looked too happy where it was ... but now I am concerned it is slightly touching the zoas and spitting mucus out. Oh the joys of pico placement.

Just noticed a bubble of bubble algae in Ang's tank. Figure we'll try to suck it out at the next water change, or see if it spreads. Quite cool actually =0)

Well the YCGs certainly have an appetite - just tried flake for the first time and they were all over it, just like everything else we've fed!

My tank is now getting quite a bit of algae on the glass. Cleaned it off yesterday but maybe it's time to change the phosphate remover.

My aim this weekend is to find a shrimp and/or crab (porcelain ideally) to each tank, but will have to see if we find them at the LFSs.

Heh, pretty cool.

This morning I saw a xenia polyp fly off and swirl around the tank, before landing right in front of the 'cave'. Didn't think much of it, and certainly didn't expect a few minutes later to see Mr Giant Worm come over to gobble it up! At least, that's what I think it came out for.

Funny thing is that I rushed off to get the tweezers thinking I could grab it, when along comes the hermit crab wondering what the fuss is about, clobbers the worm making it disappear back into the rock! Okay 'clobber' might imply a fight when it was more of a 'nudge out of the way', but still interesting to see.

was it a bristleworm that ate your xenia?

It seemed that way, yes. Just a tiny polyp that had become detached and landed down the bottom, but that's what I think happened.

What kind of flake food are you feeding?

I'll have to check the brand when I get home, but it's just flake we had for the tropical tank we have. I noticed this morning it said 'suitable for tropical or marine fish' so I thought I would give it a try. Needed to crush it into small pieces, but the trouble is if I go too small they ignore it (which is why they don't eat much of the cyclopeeze, though they do grab larger particles). Seems they eat better if I feed with the pumps on so it whizzes past them and they grab at it.

The Battle of Castiel versus The Worm 2011

I have had my tongs on him about three times now, but he's too damn fast so far. Doesn't just come out at night, whenever I feed I'll see him poking out trying to grab his share.

It's 50:50 between 'cool' and 'gross'.

I'll get him one of these days ...

You know, I've yet to see any type of bristle worm in my tanks. Haha, perhaps it's because I go to bed too early.

Keeeeeeeel evil worm for eating your Xenia!

Haha well I have to catch him first!

So a bit more shopping for the picos today.

Ang picked up a bubble coral and a small frag of clove polyps.

I got a piece of green favia brain, which fits perfectly on my main piece of rock near the top.

We also ... well perhaps made a noob mistake. We were looking at a LFS at peppermint shrimp, which were $30 each (one other LFS had them for $35 ...). Next to them were 'glass' shrimp (/ghost), which were $2. So we enquired, the guy told us that they were normally feeder shrimp but that they would do just fine and were similar to the peppermint, just no colour. Post purchase research shows that such shrimp probably don't live very long on saltwater, so now I am not sure what to do. We bought three, two for Ang's tank one for mine. Which look cool and have been swimming around (mine moulted less than an hour after adding). But will they just die in a week?

Also bought a new snail each, a banded trochus I believe (was labeled as an 'algae snail'). bit bigger than the current snails we have and have been busy scooting around the glass so far.

And finally ... I bought this (not my photo, but same tank). More on that to come ...

DSCN2635.jpg

Uh oh... Somebody got the SW bug... Bad.

I've heard about ghost shrimp in SW, but never desired to use them. Was considering peppermints at one point as they are Native to the Caribbean, but I prefer the cleaner shrimp.

hah, yes I have the bug, just as someone else I know of =0p

I have thought about a cleaner shrimp, but the only common shrimps available around here are peppermint (~$30), coral banded (~$50 but I consider too large for my picos) or 'cleaner' (~$120), again too large.

Guess I will see how the ghost shrimp go, they add some life to the tanks at least and are providing some interest.

I'll get pics as soon as my phone decides to work =0/

Oh you don't think I know? I see links to liveaquaria.com too often to know better.

Despite having a plethora of reefs around Australia, things are just more expensive here. But that applies to everything ... you would #### at paying $10 for a beer I am sure =0p

upgrading tanks already eh? I have the itch to set up a bigger tank too, but its going to be at least a 40 gallon tank thats going in the living room in my basement. im thinking of doing a peninsula style tank. what are your plans for the new tank?

Peninsula =0p

I bought a 3.5ft tank a while ago, found it was scratched so figured it was best used as a sump. So i was going to get a 3ft tank for display, use the other as the sump/fuge ... but then today I saw this and had to get it, so need to rethink.

If I can figure a way to have the 2ft tank as display, with the 3.5ft as a sump/display fuge, peninsular style, I will go for that. Otherwise I may get another 2ft tank for the sump and go 'double decker' style.

Here is the plan I had for the 3ft/3.5ft setup:

89B3C.jpg

(in fact I posted this in your peninsular thread =0p )

Oh you don't think I know? I see links to liveaquaria.com too often to know better.

Despite having a plethora of reefs around Australia, things are just more expensive here. But that applies to everything ... you would #### at paying $10 for a beer I am sure =0p

$10 for a beer? I would die of thirst! my girlfriend calls me a penny pincher becasue I only like going to this one particular bar that does .75 cent drafts on saturday nights lol.

Peninsula =0p

I bought a 3.5ft tank a while ago, found it was scratched so figured it was best used as a sump. So i was going to get a 3ft tank for display, use the other as the sump/fuge ... but then today I saw this and had to get it, so need to rethink.

If I can figure a way to have the 2ft tank as display, with the 3.5ft as a sump/display fuge, peninsular style, I will go for that. Otherwise I may get another 2ft tank for the sump and go 'double decker' style.

Here is the plan I had for the 3ft/3.5ft setup:

89B3C.jpg

(in fact I posted this in your peninsular thread =0p )

Is that thread still going? lol i will have to look at it to see what people have said. I kind of forgoet when I open up other threads lol.

Spotted a nice size aiptasia on Ang's new bubble coral =0/

Tried squirting it four times with boiling water but the damn thing is hardy! Next water change we'll be trying the blowtorch.

Spotted a nice size aiptasia on Ang's new bubble coral =0/

Tried squirting it four times with boiling water but the damn thing is hardy! Next water change we'll be trying the blowtorch.

I have a banded aiptasia, but he's in a hole hiding most of the time and stays out of trouble. I will plug up the hole soon. :D

L

Archived