Innovative Marine Aquariums

Peter's petite pair of picos

castiel

Like you, I had an LPS mysteriously decline in my pico. I don't know if I should chalk it up to chemical warfare from the soft corals, or "new tank syndrome" (various populations of bacteria, zoo-, and phyto-plankton fluctuating, various water parameters lacking or overabundant, etc).

Light intensity may also have been a factor, in which case you should have no trouble with LPS once your PAR bulb is up and running.

As for flow, I've never kept a hammer or torch but from what I've read here on n-r.com, they like low flow. I don't know much about Koralias, but is there a way to dial them back a bit?

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First thing I looked for when I put it in the tank was the dial ... but appears they don't have one.

Here is how the hammer looks since the koralia was put in - sometimes it extends more than this, but always the same 'shape'

IMG_20111121_214925.jpg

And here is how the duncans have looked the last couple of days too

IMG_20111121_214942.jpg

And just because they look awesome, rhodactis

IMG_20111121_214935.jpg

And how my cyphastrea looks most of the time. Sometimes, usually once the lights are off, it extends further than this though

IMG_20111121_214954.jpg

(you can see the damage I did to it with my wayward lighter attack)

edit - you can also see the dead/dying xenia in this final shot ...

Sure. They should only take about a month to ship from here to there.

I noticed that my duncan has a wart last night. Quite excited to see it enlarge.

(written that way for comic effect intentionally :P)

I like the idea of random picture day (credit to Jgpico!).

First a few daylight shots. The tanks get full sun for around 30 mins in the morning ...

IMG_20111122_075643.jpg

IMG_20111122_075656.jpgIMG_20111122_075637.jpg

IMG_20111122_075702.jpg

A few of Porky Pig

IMG_20111122_201907.jpg

IMG_20111122_201927.jpg

And Squirt on his favourite perch

IMG_20111122_201947.jpg

I did on the cyphastrea, haha. It kind of ... spread and probably killed 10% of the cyphastrea polyps. Oh well, seems to have got rid of the GHA that was on there.

I belive in killing gha at all costs

you can use a foil paddle to block heat from the polyp next time it works great, only exposes the algae to the fire.

So I did a bit of rearranging yesterday. Why did nobody tell me earlier how stressful moving and placing corals is in a pico?! Jebus.

Moved:

- Ric to the left against the wall

- Stuck the rhoa where they were

- Moved a rock from the front to the back (really liking a bit of sand space at teh front, finally!)

- Stuck the duncans, still in their shell, to the remaining small rock at the front

- Stuck down the new addition ...

IMG_20111128_075712.jpg

Spot the newbie?

IMG_20111128_075720.jpg

The LFS had a group of three single heads in a plastic container ... I thought the price on it was for all three, so really wanted to grab them. They then said it was each head ... but by that time I had fallen in love so had to get it anyway. Hope it does well, the colours are amazing.

Oh, also added a cerith to each tank too.

Holy crap! These little tanks never cease to amaze me regarding what pops up all of a sudden.

Was looking at the tank, when I see movement ... CRAB! WTF? No idea where he came from, I am 99% sure he can't have HHed on the blasto head (tiny and no crevices). Maybe he has been hiding out this whole time .. who knows.

Anyway, for ease of spotting as it is hiding beneath my favia:

No crab

IMG_20111128_083540.jpg

Crab

IMG_20111128_083443.jpg

I also briefly saw a crab claw, otherwise I wouldn't have been sure what it was.

I am sure it's not reef safe, but I am going to see if I spot it again before attempting to trap. Maybe a stone crab?

Do you think the crab might have eaten my xenia? There is barely any of it left (you can see the bare looking rock to the right of the blasto head).

Do you think the crab might have eaten my xenia? There is barely any of it left (you can see the bare looking rock to the right of the blasto head).

Kinda looks that way, doesn't it?

PAR38 finally mounted! As high as I can easily get it ... but not high enough to cover both tanks unfortunately. So for now I will also use the stock Dymax LEDs twisted off to the sides as shown, just for full tank coverage. Had a look briefly last night on all blue, with the Dymax LEDs on blue also, and WOW.

Obviously a bad time to show the lights in action given the sun hitting the tanks, but will take some shots tonight when it gets dark to show their full effect.

I am starting the PAR on reduced power, even though it is pretty high above the tanks, and not putting the Dymax LEDs on during the day yet either. Will work up to full power and hopefully avoid any frying.

(that is SUNLIGHT hitting the tanks, not mega LED power!)

IMG_20111129_075214.jpg

IMG_20111129_075224.jpg

IMG_20111129_075232.jpg

Glad you finally found a solution!

I don't see any vents in the lampshade... may want to keep a close eye on the temp of the PAR38 to make sure it's not getting too toasty. If it's too hot to lay your hand on it (on the PAR38, not the lampshade), it's probably too hot.

Yeah I thought the same. After a couple of hours last night it was fine, but I guess I'll see tonight how hot it has gotten ...

Guess I could try drilling some vents in the shade if it is getting hot.

Well, it took a while, but I read this entire thread...What a journey, inspired Pico's, Sir! Just sorry to hear everything costs so much there in Aus...lol

Well, it took a while, but I read this entire thread...What a journey, inspired Pico's, Sir! Just sorry to hear everything costs so much there in Aus...lol

The cost for things over there is insane.

That is some serious lightage, Peter. I needs ma shades... Of course, thus speaks the person with a 70w MH over her 8g! :lol:

Thanks, Meta!

I really need the new optics on the PAR though. It would be perfect for one tank, but at the moment it is only covering about 1/2 of each tank, so I am also using hte angled stock LEDs as shown. I think 60 degrees rather than 30 should work out perfectly.

That said, I might still keep the Dymax LEDs on there. I had the PAR and them both running blues last night and yowsers, the colours particularly on my rhodactis were stunning. I also discovered that I zero chance of ever taking a photo to show this using my phone, haha. This one might be the best effort, but nowhere near real life.

IMG_20111129_200230.jpg

Few new additions today! Mostly to Ang's tank. She got some GSP, not attached to a rock at all so we are just going to glue it directly. A flouro green mushroom, and several flouro orange. I broke one off the orange mushie rock and put it in my tank, because they are so bright. I thought my existing orange morph was bright, but next to this one it looks dull.

Pics a bit later.

Archived