Top Shelf Aquatics

Peter's petite pair of picos

castiel

I'll get around to getting the crab at some point, I just know how much it will take to get the darn thing out of there.

Well had another power outage yesterday after a storm, no power for 12 hours or so. Thankfully the storm brought cooler temperatures - dropped from 92F to 63F in the space of an hour, which is when we lost power. And these tough little picos stood up to it all yet again, as far as I can see no casualties.

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just did the first tests on the tanks for a while. Interestingly both almost identical (this just before the water change is due, 8 days since the last one, and the day after a 12 hour power outage):

Phosphate - 0

Nitrate - 0

Calcium - 360

Alk - 7ppm/125dkh

So I have placed an order for C-Balance to boost those numbers a lot, but really happy to see the phosphate and nitrate so low.

Just did the first tests on the tanks for a while. Interestingly both almost identical (this just before the water change is due, 8 days since the last one, and the day after a 12 hour power outage):

Phosphate - 0

Nitrate - 0

Calcium - 360

Alk - 7ppm/125dkh

So I have placed an order for C-Balance to boost those numbers a lot, but really happy to see the phosphate and nitrate so low.

six months old! Wow, mine will be there in like a week. How time flies when you're having fun.

L

I don't think this colour really comes through, but I need to find a way to capture how damn green this acro is!

IMG_20120208_193900.jpg

Oh there is a lot of #### in the water column because I had just fed heavily.

I don't think this colour really comes through, but I need to find a way to capture how damn green this acro is!

IMG_20120208_193900.jpg

Oh there is a lot of #### in the water column because I had just fed heavily.

Excuse my laziness, but could I have a close up of the coral on the top right hang side? :) The polyps one.

Sure thing - excuse the crappy phone pics, I made them as large as I can (view in new window for larger) - hope one of these turns out okay.

IMG_20120208_214623.jpg

IMG_20120208_214644.jpg

Also, NOT MINE, but this is the best colour comparison I can find for my Dallas Acro:

q_bali_slimer_acropora_4525.jpg

Well as I showed in this post, I am pretty certain my duncans and hammer are both dead. The hammer has a few wisps of green left on each side but is not inflating any more, and I can no longer see any green on the duncan.

Not my first coral losses and I am sure not the last, but it sucks nonetheless. In particular I loved hte hammer and it has been probably my favourite coral so far. It never seemed to adapt to the new higher flow from the Koralia - with just the stock pump (nowhere near enough flow for the tank as a whole), it was growing huge and stinging the favia above it ... with the Koralia in the tank it stayed quite small and compact, and when I just thought it was adjusting it goes and dies on me.

My mourning period may be short though and a trip to the LFS tomrrow or Sunday might bring something new. The question is really - a new hammer or other euphyllia, or something different ....

Peter your reported numbers show the classic phenomena in tiny Pico reefs where either water changes must ramp up or dosing must begin

They behave much differently than even 3 gallon tanks

and your tank hit those numbers pretty much on time, the period usually coincides with an increased coral load

Do you have c balance yet

Also, if your doing weekly changes of 80% what are the numbers just before you change i'm so curious

Hey brandon - the c-balance is en-route so should be here any day now, I will be sure to post some numbers. And yeah I figured that particularly the addition of the SPS would leach the calcium from the NSW and so need dosing. The first week or two I'll measure both quite regularly to see how it varies during the period between changes.

Paid a visit to several LFSs today, and of course ended up with some new goodies. Pictures to come shortly when they open up :D

IMG_20120213_111644.jpg

IMG_20120213_111650.jpg

IMG_20120213_111657.jpg

IMG_20120213_111705.jpg

IMG_20120213_111718.jpg

Still not 100% on the Elegance placement ... my hammer has left a hole on teh left side where I was thinking of placing it, but it's bigger than I thought when I bought it so not sure it will fit there! That area is higher flow, where it is now is just enough to move its tentacles.

rOYM8.jpg

I don't know how common they are up in the US, but down here I see them quite often.

It is indeed pretty and I hope I can keep it alive. I have read a lot about their ever decreasing life spans in aquariums, but a reefbuilders post gave me hope that the Aussie Elegance is not suffering the same fate, maybe due to tighter coral collection controls.

Even though those little Palys are brown, I really like their hot green mouths! Haven't see them before.

Hah sorry I really am spamming today, but I just spotted that some of the zoas in Ang's tank have a cool double skirt! And they colours are amazing under actinics ... to think I used to think this was just a rock full of dull brown zoas.

IMG_20120213_194755.jpg

IMG_20120213_194817.jpg

Cool zoas. Wouldn't it be cool to have one sump to service both your tanks? I'm thinking about having a single sump for two tanks. Been working on some proof of concept-- check my main thread.

Cool zoas. Wouldn't it be cool to have one sump to service both your tanks? I'm thinking about having a single sump for two tanks. Been working on some proof of concept-- check my main thread.

I DO have a single sump for both my picos, it's awesome! I just added some chaeto to the fuge section today!

BTW Peter, sorry to hear about the Duncans and hammer...real bummer...Buy Hooray for Baby blastos!

Hah, thanks. As for the sump idea ... trouble of a single sump is that I foresee these two tanks being separated at some point. But I love the idea generally of a pico sump, particularly a side-by-side one - I would have to make it a macro display fuge I think.

Those baby Blastos are great - and the Elegance is really lovely. I've wanted one forever, but there's just no room for one in my tank. Congrats!

Hah, thanks. As for the sump idea ... trouble of a single sump is that I foresee these two tanks being separated at some point. But I love the idea generally of a pico sump, particularly a side-by-side one - I would have to make it a macro display fuge I think.

I think there's no problem creating a shared sump/fuge between the two. You can certainly separate them later if you want.

You could use 2 DIY HOB Overflows, with a single Aqualifter managing the siphon, and a single small pump in your sump/fuge to fill both tanks. Don't forget the snail guard on the overflow and you might want to get an ATO for your fuge which would handle BOTH tanks. Just imagine how easy it would be to change out your water! Just turn off your pump, empty the fuge, fill it back up and you're good to go!

(In my case I have a PVC fixture with hose which I press fit to my overflow exit and let the pump do the emptying of the sump for me.)

While a sump is a great idea for these tanks, my next priority is going to be tank+sump for my 17G.

I think I am going to try the Elegance on the rockwork, where the hammer was.

Ooooooo, so pretty. I want them, but understand that I cannot have them because they are yours.

By the way, guess who's birthday it is today? :D

L

So we're moving house in about a month ... should only be a short trip, maybe an hour from power off at this place to power on at the next. I have bought two battery air pumps (also for the power outages we keep having), and was planning to empty as much water as I can without exposing corals.

Any other tips for moving tanks like these?

Archived