ReefCleaners.org

Peter's petite pair of picos

castiel

Now to my tank ... slightly blurry:

IMG_20120404_185757.jpg

HA if you check out my tank i have a small rock of Zoas that look identical!

These pico's are sweeet

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very cute pistol! Sorry about the loss when the T5's boiled the tanks. Question: you said you did a water change. I'm curious if you waited for the tanks to cool before doing the water change? Or you matched the water to a high temperature and then let it cool? Alternatively, did you do from 90+degrees to high 70's water all at once? (hope not)

Kat, I waited around an hour for the water to cool ... set some fans loose on it for that time. To be honest it might have still been warmer than the water I used to replace, but not massively so.

Hope you haven't had something similar happen.

Got a Sony NEX 5N yesterday for my birthday! Haven't had masses of time to play with it, but of course had to take a few tank pics and of the new additions to the tanks!

New FTSs:

DSC00097.JPG

ang's FTS:

DSC00098.JPG

New Favia, stunning blue colours

DSC00111.JPG

my FTS (kind of)

DSC00115.JPG

DSC00114.JPG

Acans are doing really well and colouring up nicely

DSC00107.JPG

Green palys ... and also you can see the baby branching blastos. This was a 'bargain basement' frag because some of the branches were dead or dying, but the remainder are looking healthier every day.

DSC00106.JPG

And finally my new green eye chalice (no idea if it has a 'name' other than that). by far the largest piece of coral I have ever put in my tanks ... hoping it fits to the right of hte green palys on that ledge.

DSC00109.JPG

Feeding time.

Ang's favia:

DSC00137.JPG

My chalice:

DSC00140.JPG

Ang's hammer:

DSC00145.JPG

Ang's zoas:

DSC00149.JPG

DSC00151.JPG

My zoas:

DSC00143.JPG

And finally ... bryopsis in my tank :angry:

DSC00154.JPG

Might well have to put some peroxide on order as it would be a fairly simple place to apply to when drained. Or I've thought about just putting my chalice on there, which will block the light and the putty cover some or most ... but I don't want it to grow underneath where I can't get to it.

So the LFS where I got the pistol when its goby jumped, now has a tiny YWG whose pistol has died. I am very tempted, even though I know my tank is too small for a YWG. It is so cute and would go beautifully with the yellow pistol ...

So the LFS where I got the pistol when its goby jumped, now has a tiny YWG whose pistol has died. I am very tempted, even though I know my tank is too small for a YWG. It is so cute and would go beautifully with the yellow pistol ...

How big is the pistol, Peter? It's not a matter of the YWG being to big for the tank, they really don't move all that much, but it'd be pushing it. It's more whether or not the two are a match. I had a small YWG with my tiger pistol and the pistol ended up burying it so it couldn't escape. I now have him with a much larger Grey YWG. IMO, the goby must be significantly larger than the pistol shrimp for the pairing to work.

L

Really? Hmm well it is quite small ... bigger than the pistol but not significantly so I would say. I will have to take another look tomorrow when I visit again.

Then again I might just be patient until the larger tank is operational, then try to catch the pistol and pair him up in there with something. LFS said they can get me a shrimp goby if I ask them to.

Yeah, I'd wait until you can find a bigger goby.

Peter! Peter! Peter!

Can you send me the link to that scraper that is very small & nimble. I dunno where it is & I don't feel like digging! I gots some serious corraline!

Thank you!

Lissette

Saw a very cute twin spot goby at a new LFS I visited yesterday ... resisted temptation though, had a feeling which proved right that they are extremely difficult to keep and need a large tank despite their diminutive size. Today I am heading to my favourite two LFSs that both had a new shipment in yesterday. Hoping to pick up a few pieces of SPS and maybe a ric ... or will just see what they have.

Also, the green clown goby in Ang's tank died :( - saw the larger hermit chowing down on it yesterday. Not a clue why, everything seems in order and it ate okay.

Lissette! Lissette! Lissette! Don't worry my dear, I will do the hard work for you and track it down again :P

Here you go - the eBay store and their actual website:

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Aquarium-HK/Clea...fsub=1041452016

http://www.aquariumhk.net/index.php?main_p...products_id=890

chippwalters

Pete, sorry about the goby. Both my sexy shrimp have gone missing-- one jumped the tank, the other who knows. It's a bummer when your lose stuff...

Bought a couple of new pieces - 3x small hairy mushrooms (bright green base, brown 'fluff'), a small pink hammer. Will post pics when they settle in a bit.

Also I asked about the YWG - they wanted $120 for it! It was pretty small too, maybe 2", so made the decision easier to leave it there.

Saw the smallest, cutest clams ever - they were maybe 1.5 inches, beautiful blue colours ... and $170! Again made the decision easy to leave alone :rolleyes:

You'd die if you knew how much I paid for my big, grey watchman...

$18

I won't even get started on the clams.

Can't wait to see the new pieces.

L

Cheese-Lover
YWG - they wanted $120 for it! It was pretty small too, maybe 2"

Hmm. I saw a YWG at my LFS for $55 the other day... Instead I picked up a juvi clown for $10.

I've been kicking myself ever since...

You'd die if you knew how much I paid for my big, grey watchman...

$18

Dies of unsurprise.

$55? That's a good deal. I reckon I could have bargained them down to more like $70-90 ... they got the $120 from "well it was $250 for the shrimp-goby pair ... shrimp has disappeared ... so $120". Yeah right.

Anyway I have decided that the pistol is going in the larger tank (if I can catch the little sucker) when it is ready, and I'll get the LFS to source me a shrimp goby of some kind then.

Dies of unsurprise.

$55? That's a good deal. I reckon I could have bargained them down to more like $70-90 ... they got the $120 from "well it was $250 for the shrimp-goby pair ... shrimp has disappeared ... so $120". Yeah right.

Anyway I have decided that the pistol is going in the larger tank (if I can catch the little sucker) when it is ready, and I'll get the LFS to source me a shrimp goby of some kind then.

The solution...

Move to Miami.

:P

Just teasing, Australia is a fine place. I'd love to visit one day.

Random observation... Why is my Tanaka wrasse being stupid & swimming near my Duncan. *sigh* I got dumb fish in that Biocube, Peter. My firefish still enjoys being stung by my elegance. They're either both dumb, or both masochists.

L

Pic time!

~~~~

The pair

DSC00207.JPG

~~~~

My tank FTS

DSC00183.JPG

DSC00190.JPG

Ric

DSC00210%20%281%29.JPG

Hairy mushroom

DSC00192%20%281%29.JPG

DSC00212.JPG

Pistol & acans (which I just realised said pistol is likely to bury where I have put them ... d'oh)

DSC00216%20%281%29.JPG

My hammer

DSC00190%20%281%29.JPG

DSC00203.JPG

DSC00208.JPG

~~~~

Ang's tank FTS (rescaped and added the piece of rock on the left)

DSC00193.JPG

Ang hammer

DSC00195%20%281%29.JPG

DSC00195.JPG

Sargassum

DSC00213.JPG

Hammer time!! Really tempted to put a hammer in my new tank.

Both tanks look really good Peter. Did you ever replace the green clown goby?

L

Not yet, no. Ang really wants a cardinal ... maybe if we find a baby it can go in there and then transfer to the 17G.

I picked up a flouro green morph for my tank, and I stole some of Ang's green zoas.

Ang's tank has the real news though - a complete rescape, gsp, a tiny peppermint shrimp and ... an orange lined cardinal. Photos tomorrow!

Archived