Pod Your Reef

Peter's petite pair of picos

castiel

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the white LEDs on my PAR38 have gone ... or the driver has, not sure. Even when cold the whites flicker on and off. So i am stuck with just blue for a while, plus the Dymax robot LEDs.

I am going to order 2x BoostLED PAR30s with goosenecks, but I imagine they will take a couple of weeks to arrive ... hope everything does okay until then.

Well after looking into PAR bulb options (requiring 2 ideally), shipping costs for US based products and needing something asap (shipping from the US would take a few weeks), I finally purchased ...

LightMaster_led_catagory_image.jpg

4DcWq.jpg

Should give good coverage for both tanks ... no idea how I am going to hang it, but will work something out.

Some pics of the new T5s. They are too high really to give the light I want, but as we are moving in 3 weeks I don't want to rig anything more permanent until the new place.

Longer term I think this will be used for my sump/fuge on the 17G tank, and I will get a pair of BoostLEDs for the picos. But they're doing a decent job for now.

IMG_20120225_152417.jpg

IMG_20120225_152428.jpg

IMG_20120225_152440.jpg

IMG_20120225_152451.jpg

IMG_20120225_152518.jpg

Not too happy with the colour ... not much blue/actinic going on with the T5 lights. Looks nice and 'natural' I guess, but I like some blue in there too!

They are 11" above the tanks right now ... I think if I were to keep them on these tanks, I would move down to 6" once we have resettled in the new place.

Nice pair of tanks there castiel hope they go well for you.

Moving them shouldn't be too much problem I moved my 16G recently I bought a 55l container and just ran a battery operated air pump as well I think that would be the best option to put all corals, live rock etc. Into a decent size container and just drive slowly and they won't get too stressed mine were in the container for about 3 hours all up as I decided to reshape etc. And the next day with an 80% water change were flourishing more than ever before. So there's nothing to worry about.

New leather has settled in well:

IMG_20120229_190813.jpg

And the green rics, one in each tank, are starting to turn purple! Would that happen so soon because of the T5s??

IMG_20120229_190824.jpg

IMG_20120229_190838.jpg

(top one in the second pic, the bottom one was always purple!).

Builder Anthony

if i have my leds on and put a flouresent up against the glass my mushrooms turn to it and start repostioning themselfs to face the light.try it after u move.put it right on the front glass.

Interesting.

Also, check out this cool little tool. Great for scraping those hard to reach places!

IMG_20120301_083517.jpg

IMG_20120301_083536.jpg

IMG_20120301_083556.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not much going on here, mostly getting ready for the big move this weekend. Bit nervous about it ... particularly Ang's tank which will definitely move around and has the gorg which I fear will get broken (might have to remove and bag that for the move). I have the battery air pumps ready and will cling wrap the top, then just take very carefully!

In my tank the baby blastos are growing like crazy, I think they will soon 'consume' the mother blasto, or at least compete with it for the masses of space it takes up. The little chalice frag I have is not doing well, receded and looks like it is dying ... I moved positions in the hope it recovers.

If I were you, I'd bag the gorg, definitely, also any lps that's fleshy. Just my two cents worth. I've moved with planted tanks before, but never marine, and when I did, I always bagged my most fragile plants.

Good luck on the move. Where did you get that tool?! I WANT!

L

Yeah thinking about it I might bag anything that could get damaged and isn't currently fixed, like the elegance and open brain.

Tool is from here - as well as scraping, it's awesome for just sticking in to move something around (like when my hermits move the open brain from its spot).

Well the move went pretty well - bagged a few of the corals (suns, gorg, bubble (wasn't stuck down), my elegance, the open brain) but left the rest as they were including the fish! Travelled with about 3/4 full tanks (my car's back seats got a bit wet!), took about an hour from unplugging at one place to plugging in again at the new place.

A few things look a bit unhappy ... the GSP in Ang's tank for one hasn't opened up again yet. But the gorg took some damage in the bag I guess, the tip and part of one stem is white and looks dead, but the rest of it opened up last night so hopefully it will recover.

Ordered 2x Boost LED PAR30s for the tanks too, in the meantime they have another makeshift set up for the T5s.

Our 40G freshwater was a bigger challenge to move ... caught all the fish (about 20x swordtails, corys, neons, a betta etc) and put in a bucket with air stone, emptied all but an inch of the water (so the plants remained mostly submerged). The tank needs replanting as many became uprooted, but overall looking good. Just one swordtail got stressed and died, but it was not completely happy for a few days before so not a big surprise.

Also excited about getting the new tanks (the peninsula) set up in the new place! Once unpacking is completed that

be prepared to do a water change if needed.

Yeah I put some water on to heat last night so will do a large change tonight. I am sure the move stirred up some crap that should be removed.

Archived