SaltCritters.com

a Wisconsin Reef... my experiences in aquaculture

Alpha Aquaculture

Alpha Aquaculture
Looks awesome dude!

Thanks! Always nice to hear some words of encouragement :)

Great pic. My clown managed to get himself wedged so tightly between two branches of frogspawn it took him forever to wiggle himself free.

Also, I sent you a PM.

I hope you got a pic of that it sounds like it would be funny to see lol. When I saw that one get stuck I ran right for the cam lol. Thanks for lending a hand with the tank moving :)

Got the 800g on its stand, but it looks small with my skinny self on it lol

10-19-2011-030.jpg

And then I needed to share a quick pic of these two :)

10-19-2011-050.jpg

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alpha Aquaculture

We just had another group of 7 people here and moved all the hatching tanks and some large 120g's onto another stand 6' in the air. Here is a quick pic I took earlier today of the stand when it was delivered. I'm about to grab the cam and take a few more pics of the stand bolted together and the tanks on it.

10-19-2011-046.jpg

10-19-2011-047.jpg

WOW very nice pair. I love the black on them. what are they?

Thank you very much! Those are some of the wickedest Onyx I've ever seen. And best of all both of them are absolutely perfect and oh so jet black :)

Alpha Aquaculture
We just had another group of 7 people here and moved all the hatching tanks and some large 120g's onto another stand 6' in the air. Here is a quick pic I took earlier today of the stand when it was delivered. I'm about to grab the cam and take a few more pics of the stand bolted together and the tanks on it.

10-19-2011-046.jpg

10-19-2011-047.jpg

The tanks we put on this stand are beasts! They were so heavy 4 people could barely lift them up 6 feet onto the stand. Now we have 4 plumbing projects in the works. Anyone plumb near Madison, WI??? lol

10-19-2011-063.jpg

10-19-2011-064.jpg

10-19-2011-065.jpg

10-19-2011-066.jpg

10-19-2011-067.jpg

wow it's awesome to see all this coming together kris! Sorry if you already mentioned this before, but I'm curious why you designed the bottom tank in the last picture like that?

wow it's awesome to see all this coming together kris! Sorry if you already mentioned this before, but I'm curious why you designed the bottom tank in the last picture like that?

Because it just shear genius.

Efficiency

1 heater heats several tanks

Stability

Alpha Aquaculture

Thanks! The theory is that when the channel's water is heated you can heat your hatching tanks without having a heater in there burning up the babies. Because the flow in and out will be so low, just a drip, recirc alone will not get it done. While designing these tanks I had the mentality that I needed a heater in each tank. After seeing a skyrocketing electric bill every month I decided I needed a change and took out every single heater except on my broodstock systems. I'm using the hvac units to keep temps stable now. I'm fairly confident its a good decision because we have a double unit here with two hvac units. If one breaks I have that ever so critical backup already operating which can handle a good part of both units. Without the backup, in a -30F Wisconsin winter I would lose everything overnight from temps. If both break I have some propane 40,000 btu heaters I will blast if need be. So anyway, don't need heaters anymore lol. The design does give me the flexibility to change temps. There are three hatching tanks that can have three separate temp setpoints. I could do some pretty neat temp studies on egg hatching with this setup. Heating the warehouse above 80 would be unbearable but now we can heat up hatching tanks if need be.

It was rrcg50's idea lol I'll let him take the credit :) Thanks Rich!

Because it just shear genius.

Efficiency

1 heater heats several tanks

Stability

What temp is optimal for hatching anyway? The same as broodstock so you can minimize shock to the eggs? I know your operating your broodstock at 84F but do you think its def more effective than 78F? I know people make it work with 78F. I just wanna take out the two 800w heaters in my broodstock and the 800w we use to heat up water for those system's water changes. Those are the only heaters left!

Oh so those are each separate systems heated by one large water reservoir?

Pretty much but not really a large water reservoir just a channel that can be heated. The tanks themselves are part of a larger system, the channels will have no filtration or overflows.

Alpha Aquaculture
wow thats alot of tanks..i still want to be like you when i growup...

Lol! I'm only 28, that is until Saturday!!! Birthday party at my place ;) I might have a lot of tanks but I've never hatched a single clownfish! I'm jealous of all you guys who are rocking it. Keep up the good work and thank you in advance for sticking with teaching all of us.

Lol! I'm only 28, that is until Saturday!!! Birthday party at my place ;) I might have a lot of tanks but I've never hatched a single clownfish! I'm jealous of all you guys who are rocking it. Keep up the good work and thank you in advance for sticking with teaching all of us.
well HAPPY BIRTHDAY DUDE B) to bad im far away or else i would party it up with you guys,,have fun and most importantly be safe!!!
Alpha Aquaculture

Thanks Rudy! You would def be invited if you were around. The party was awesome and way too crazy. I'm at the warehouse now and don't want to go home. My place is completely trashed!

I still think it would be awesome if we got all of us clownfish enthusiasts together and had a lil party once a year. I'd offer everyone to come out to wisconsin but I don't think it would be as much fun in the winter lol.

Thanks Rudy! You would def be invited if you were around. The party was awesome and way too crazy. I'm at the warehouse now and don't want to go home. My place is completely trashed!

I still think it would be awesome if we got all of us clownfish enthusiasts together and had a lil party once a year. I'd offer everyone to come out to wisconsin but I don't think it would be as much fun in the winter lol.

you could count me in forsure!!

Stopped by yesterday and really was excited about what was going on at Alpha and can only think

How much better it is going to get. Kris is great and his passion for this is unreal. I 100% confident he will deliver some of the best clownfish you will ever see. If you are traveling in the area, check it out, Kris is the man and super nice. Good luck Kris and I will be following along with your progress!

Thanks again!

Happy Birthday Kris!!! Your setup is amazing, as are those onyx! Where in NY were you from? That's was my home state as well - I'm from Queens.

happy B-day too. wait till your like me, turning 37 in a month! ugh i am old.

my wife is from Long Island, its cute when i get her made cause the accent comes out!

Alpha Aquaculture
Ain't nothing like a cool party weekend. Hope you had fun

Last weekend was awesome! This weekend is going to end on a high note! Tonight is the famous Halloween party here in Madison. The streets are packed and it gets very crazy! They shut down entire streets and an army of cops come in to control everything. Many years the cops go crazy and tear gas everyone to clear the street at the end of the night. Almost unbelievable.

you could count me in forsure!!

Aight its on now we just need to plan it! We will get some others to get down. I know Rich will be game :)

Hope you had a great birthday, sure sounds like it!

I did! Its such a great time of the year!!!

Alpha Aquaculture

Check out one of our tanks that only uses one small maxijet. Its in a window that gets direct sunlight and doesn't use any extra lighting but he sun. The phytoplankton came in after the cyano subsided, in total we battled the cyano for 3 months. I like the phytoplankton better than the cyano but its hard to see the baby clowns we raise in there. I feel like the water is also much cleaner with the phyto growing naturally to take the nutrients out. I also think the babies might be less aggressive toward one another if they can't see or chase each other as easily. This is the first try with babies that are 3-4 weeks old when they went in. Because I can't see anything I'm just gonna give it a few months and hope.

10-19-2011-044.jpg

10-19-2011-043.jpg

10-19-2011-049.jpg

Alpha Aquaculture
Stopped by yesterday and really was excited about what was going on at Alpha and can only think

How much better it is going to get. Kris is great and his passion for this is unreal. I 100% confident he will deliver some of the best clownfish you will ever see. If you are traveling in the area, check it out, Kris is the man and super nice. Good luck Kris and I will be following along with your progress!

Thanks again!

I'm glad you came by Dave. I enjoyed talking with you and was especially interested in hearing more about all the places you've visited. Thank you so much for your positive comments. They are fueling our grind here. I invite you to stop by again in the next few months. We are adding 89 more tanks which should arrive soon and will be up before too long. Its gonna get crazy here real soon. Def keep in touch!

Happy Birthday Kris!!! Your setup is amazing, as are those onyx! Where in NY were you from? That's was my home state as well - I'm from Queens.

Thank you very much!!! I appreciate your words :) I grew up in NY, Westchester-Putnam area until I was 17 when I graduated from High School. Then I came out to Madison, WI to go to college at UW-Madison. I moved back to NY a few times for a few years since I was 17 and will always love NY and my NY people!!! Queens in the house! Thats me, you and Rich, all from NY and now out there running the rest of the world ;)

happy B-day too. wait till your like me, turning 37 in a month! ugh i am old.

my wife is from Long Island, its cute when i get her made cause the accent comes out!

Thanks! I know exactly what your saying. I went to college for a few semesters at SUNY-Albany and there was a ton of people from LI. Can't mistake that accent!

Alpha Aquaculture
I'm in.

Can you see them in there if you are real close

Sweet! Got any ideas on where we should we have the first meeting? Of course I will offer up Wisconsin because I'm here and I have the space to play host but I'm down to travel anywhere. Just want to be able to meet everyone and kick it with you guys.

The mangrove tank is much darker green now than in those pics. Its nearly impossible to see anything definitively. Every once in a while you will see a clown and then he's gone lol.

Archived