ReefCleaners.org

a Wisconsin Reef... my experiences in aquaculture

Alpha Aquaculture

no kidding on eating the eggs!! my 5 pairs ALL eat their eggs now for some reason. annoying. I blame rudy. haha

on your overflows, is that real noisy? i tried what with my system and i couldnt stand it. so what i did to keep it a slip type of connection, what i did was dry fit a reducer to that drain. from my overflows is 1" and the drain line is 2". So i have a 2" to 1" reducer just put there and used some plumbers tape to seal it. no noise and creep.

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alpha Aquaculture
Not as much as you would think, what you see in the picture is a year and a halfs worth of build-up.

Since you posted this I have visited other breeders and seen this setup in person. Its way smarter than blowing a ton of money on true union valves like I have been doing.

Alpha Aquaculture
any new eggs?

Unfortunately no. They were supposed to lay between the 21st and the 23rd. I had a friend from NY here on the 21st and was hoping he would see it but no. Then I was like ok cool, my dads flying into town on the 23rd, so I was hoping to show him the night he arrived but still nothing. They are too big for them to stop. Can't wait for 10 days from now :)

System looks awesome Kris. I need to stop by and relieve you of some Acans next time I'm coming through town!

Thanks Tibbits! My acans are growing still and about to be fragged ;) You should def help me relieve the pressure on a few beer cans also!

Alpha Aquaculture
Well things look good.Hope to see some more pictures soon.Do you wear sunglasses in there with all the light?

Thanks! We have some major major announcements we will be making in October. I have a new concept I will be releasing to the community that I think will change coral aquaculture for the better. Its gonna be cool! Just wait we need to get 8 more 4 foot coral lights soon!

Alpha Aquaculture
no kidding on eating the eggs!! my 5 pairs ALL eat their eggs now for some reason. annoying. I blame rudy. haha

on your overflows, is that real noisy? i tried what with my system and i couldnt stand it. so what i did to keep it a slip type of connection, what i did was dry fit a reducer to that drain. from my overflows is 1" and the drain line is 2". So i have a 2" to 1" reducer just put there and used some plumbers tape to seal it. no noise and creep.

Rudy's gotta stop all the egg eating jinks' hahahahaha. I wonder if feeding them eggs like Nutramar Ova or something similar but maybe larger will help them satisfy their urge or if it will make it worse?

Thats not a bad idea with the overflows. Just dry plumb the one area and then it can still be taken apart if needed. Thanks for the idea :)

Alpha Aquaculture
You need to start putting up some of those acans/chalices on the site! Haha not all of us can just stop by whenever we want <_<

Lol! If only LPS would grow faster! We have a ton of eyes and polyps to frag here but I really want to continue growing them out after they are fragged. I'd just let them get bigger as colonies but it will really hamper my progression. More frags more surface area for new growth. I have to frag but I want to grow more. I know I will break down eventually lol

Hows your modular raceway system coming along? Can't wait to see it!

Lol! If only LPS would grow faster! We have a ton of eyes and polyps to frag here but I really want to continue growing them out after they are fragged. I'd just let them get bigger as colonies but it will really hamper my progression. More frags more surface area for new growth. I have to frag but I want to grow more. I know I will break down eventually lol

Hows your modular raceway system coming along? Can't wait to see it!

Wow.. this thread is awesome. I live in Minneapolis and I am just starting to get into reefs after having a few freshwater tanks.

You got some awesome setups going!!

Alpha Aquaculture
Wow.. this thread is awesome. I live in Minneapolis and I am just starting to get into reefs after having a few freshwater tanks.

You got some awesome setups going!!

Thank you so much! You got me smiling :) If you ever make it across the border feel free to shoot me a message and stop by to see it all in person. After I complete a few more of these setups I am gonna be going cheap cheap cheap. I love my tanks and steel stands but I feel kinda stupid now blowing all of my money on them. Thin glass with plastic frames, wood and screws from here on out!

Thank you so much! You got me smiling :) If you ever make it across the border feel free to shoot me a message and stop by to see it all in person. After I complete a few more of these setups I am gonna be going cheap cheap cheap. I love my tanks and steel stands but I feel kinda stupid now blowing all of my money on them. Thin glass with plastic frames, wood and screws from here on out!

I think I might. I am going to start a 40g breeder reef this week. (started with a 10gal its cycling now but decided to upgrade)

Maybe I'll have to make the trip and grab some stuff from you

Rudy's gotta stop all the egg eating jinks' hahahahaha. I wonder if feeding them eggs like Nutramar Ova or something similar but maybe larger will help them satisfy their urge or if it will make it worse?

Thats not a bad idea with the overflows. Just dry plumb the one area and then it can still be taken apart if needed. Thanks for the idea :)

hey take it easy on me guys!!!lol

Alpha Aquaculture
I think I might. I am going to start a 40g breeder reef this week. (started with a 10gal its cycling now but decided to upgrade)

Maybe I'll have to make the trip and grab some stuff from you

40g breeder is a nice size tank. Although I like 10g too! Just hit me up a few days before you plan on coming to Mad-town and we will plan a time. I've also got tons (literally) of live rock here that I cultured from dry rock so its free of pests if you need more. Ive had this mined rock cycling now for 4 months. When we setup a new tank, we just use this rock and add corals and fish the same day with no probs.

hey take it easy on me guys!!!lol

hahahahaha we tease but its just because we like you so much!!! :)

40g breeder is a nice size tank. Although I like 10g too! Just hit me up a few days before you plan on coming to Mad-town and we will plan a time. I've also got tons (literally) of live rock here that I cultured from dry rock so its free of pests if you need more. Ive had this mined rock cycling now for 4 months. When we setup a new tank, we just use this rock and add corals and fish the same day with no probs.

hahahahaha we tease but its just because we like you so much!!! :)

lol .... one day it will stop trust me,, my pairs took long but they stopped all im waiting for is these dang ww to stop eating eggs,,stupid egg eaters

I decided to delay that for a little bit....definitely don't have the room for that in my dorm haha. For now I'll just work on making my design better and eventually once I move into an apartment, I'll start setting it up. Can't wait though! I have been working on the little 2gallon pico in my sig though. I'm gonna bring it down next quarter once it's done cycling, all with some of my corals I left in my dad's tank.

Alpha Aquaculture
I decided to delay that for a little bit....definitely don't have the room for that in my dorm haha. For now I'll just work on making my design better and eventually once I move into an apartment, I'll start setting it up. Can't wait though! I have been working on the little 2gallon pico in my sig though. I'm gonna bring it down next quarter once it's done cycling, all with some of my corals I left in my dad's tank.

Dude I can totally understand my first raceway took me a year and a half to finally pull the trigger on. After I set it up I wish I would have planned it even more. Sometimes I envy people who setup normal style box tanks with only a few hours of planning. At the same time, I am proud of people like us who think outside the box (literally lol) and design and implement new ideas for tanks. I think your modular raceways will be very cool but don't lose faith, keep on staring at that drawing and tweaking it here and there. In the end it will be a challenge but there will be a great sense of pride knowing you created a new style of aquarium. Your 2g sounds like its gonna be sweet! I love nanos!

Alpha Aquaculture
lol .... one day it will stop trust me,, my pairs took long but they stopped all im waiting for is these dang ww to stop eating eggs,,stupid egg eaters

Check out these pics I took with a flashlight during the last batch of eggs before they were all eaten. You can actually see the male eating them in the pics lol. I think he was doing it just to spite me. At the rate he was eating them during this 2 min photo shoot he would have eaten all of them in an hour. That why I feel like he was doing it because he was mad at my nighttime interuption. He is just too territorial now as a new dad and needs to learn to chill out a bit.

9-22-2011-020-2.jpg

9-22-2011-020.jpg

9-22-2011-018.jpg

Right there he was gobbling some of them up!

9-22-2011-017-2.jpg

9-22-2011-017.jpg

Compare to immediately after they were laid (no flashlight)

9-8-11-NinjaLayingEggs3.jpg

9-8-11-NinjaLayingEggs1.jpg

9-8-11-NinjaLayingEggs2.jpg

Alpha Aquaculture
Nice pics. i wish i could get good pics like that. my cameras suck. they all turn blurry cause the clowns dont stay still.

Thanks! I used a white spectrum LED flash light and a Cannon Mark II with a Cannon L series 100mm Macro IS. I just snapped away really really quick cuz I didn't want to disturb them and had a friend holding the flashlight in the sweet spot. It was the first and so far only time I've used that flashlight or any flashlight for nighttime fish photos. I think it was a perfect combination because in the daylight pics above the clowns are blurry but not the nighttime shots. btw, I've seen some really really sweet pics with cheap cameras!

• 2 weeks later...
Alpha Aquaculture

I know you guys are gonna get a laugh out of this...

Last night one of my larger ESO's was chasing the male and getting real aggressive, when the male shot out the hole in the pot, the female tried to follow. She's getting too big too fast for her own good lol :)

10-10-2011-029.jpg

10-10-2011-030.jpg

10-10-2011-031.jpg

whats up chris.

just wanted to stop in and say the clowns and acan are still doing good.

clowns love to chase each other around, but the male is still faster and zips around the rocks....

this is a great place to buy fish/corals.

been there in person. sorry for the long delay, moved to milwaukee and got promoted so its been hectic

Alpha Aquaculture
I am from NJ but will be in the Milwaukee area in two weeks. Def down to drive to Madison to check this out!

I am from NY! Your invited for sure come by and check it out. Shoot me a pm when your ready to come by.

whats up chris.

just wanted to stop in and say the clowns and acan are still doing good.

clowns love to chase each other around, but the male is still faster and zips around the rocks....

this is a great place to buy fish/corals.

been there in person. sorry for the long delay, moved to milwaukee and got promoted so its been hectic

Congrats on the promotion! Glad to here everything is doing good :) Thank you for the nice comments you've gotta come by again, we've go so much more happening these days.

10-10-2011-030.jpg

Great pic. My clown managed to get himself wedged so tightly between two branches of frogspawn it took him forever to wiggle himself free.

Also, I sent you a PM.

Archived