SaltCritters.com

a Wisconsin Reef... my experiences in aquaculture

Alpha Aquaculture

Alright you've convinced me. Just sold this one today. I'm learning how to let go!

8-16-11-rrcg-Extreme-2rightHD.jpg

:) Such a beautiful clown! Thanks for hooking it up Rich!

Don't worry there's more where those came from

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alpha Aquaculture
Congrats on the clowns laying eggs! I'll have to stop by again some time when they all start laying eggs.

We just started feeding Reef Munchies the other day I'm really hoping that it helps them. We put some in a jar, put a plastic bag over it with rubber bands and poked a few holes. Its like a salt shaker for food :) Thanks! Your welcome to stop by anytime. Also, you gotta stop by my crib one of these weekends when we are both partying. Some crazy times this weekend!!! Just recovered from friday night lol.

Alpha Aquaculture

Just snapped a few shots of some of the pairs in my broodstock system :)

Rudy you might appreciate this pair!

9-4-2011-004.jpg

ORA Picasso is darkening up very nicely. I'm sure the black will continue to spread and fill in.

9-4-2011-005.jpg

This female ORA Snowflake is starting to get big!

9-4-2011-006.jpg

The male from this pair has see-through holes on his back fins. They have been there for as long as I can remember and aren't going away. Anyone know whats up with the holes?

9-4-2011-007.jpg

Just snapped a few shots of some of the pairs in my broodstock system :)

Rudy you might appreciate this pair!

9-4-2011-004.jpg

ORA Picasso is darkening up very nicely. I'm sure the black will continue to spread and fill in.

9-4-2011-005.jpg

This female ORA Snowflake is starting to get big!

9-4-2011-006.jpg

The male from this pair has see-through holes on his back fins. They have been there for as long as I can remember and aren't going away. Anyone know whats up with the holes?

9-4-2011-007.jpg

very nice pairs... i miss my onyx:(

Alpha Aquaculture
very nice pairs... i miss my onyx:(

Thanks! She is so dark and I love the spots on the inside of her front fins. May I ask how long you had her for before I received her and where she came from? You prob already told me but I forgot :)

Thanks! She is so dark and I love the spots on the inside of her front fins. May I ask how long you had her for before I received her and where she came from? You prob already told me but I forgot :)
dang been a while i already forgot myself,,, think she was a c-quest if i remember correctly...
Alpha Aquaculture
dang been a while i already forgot myself,,, think she was a c-quest if i remember correctly...

Lol thanks! She is getting so big! When I was taking the pics of her she was getting so excited in her pot. I hope she is the next one to lay some eggs :)

Amazing amazing amazing thread! This is one of those times that I'm happy to be living in madison :) I'm going to be starting my nano pretty soon and would definitely love to get some rock from you and to check out your place sometime.

Keep up the good work!

Alpha Aquaculture
Amazing amazing amazing thread! This is one of those times that I'm happy to be living in madison :) I'm going to be starting my nano pretty soon and would definitely love to get some rock from you and to check out your place sometime.

Keep up the good work!

Hahahaha Thanks! Madison is such a kick *** city. I love it here (especially in the warmer months lol). I've got tons of rock waiting for you when your ready. I've also got salt, RO, and I just signed a few deals with wholesale pet supply companies so I can hook up cheap full setups and equipment. Feel free to shoot me a pm when you wanna check out the spot. We are there everyday :)

Alpha Aquaculture
I think it is better.

This is how we have our system drains set up, notice there is no weight on the back of the tanks.

100_2171.jpg

Just wanted to say thank you for posting the pic. Its so simple sometimes I need a slap to wake up lol. Why spend the extra money on true union valves when you don't even need to connect the overflow and drain. I'll be remembering this one next time I design a big multi-tank system.

Do you get a lot of salt creep near that gap where they meet?

FishEyeAquaculture
Do you get a lot of salt creep near that gap where they meet?

Not as much as you would think, what you see in the picture is a year and a halfs worth of build-up.

Alpha Aquaculture
This was the first time I have ever seen clownfish lay eggs in person. You can just barely see the eggs in the pics. Check out the videos in the links also. This was the most exciting moment I have had here at my warehouse. I'm so happy I caught it on film for everyone to see. Enjoy!

Videos

http://alphacorals.wistia.com/m/4H1ycL

http://alphacorals.wistia.com/m/uH1ycM

Got a few good pics considering I didn't want to clean the glass and distract them :)

8-27-2011-003.jpg

8-27-2011-004.jpg

8-27-2011-005.jpg

8-27-2011-006.jpg

8-27-2011-007.jpg

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated :)

Update!!! Last night 9/7 these clowns (the Ninjas) laid their second clutch of eggs. Their first clutch was unhealthy due to a nutrient deficiency in the parents. We began feeding the Reef Munchies in an attempt to correct this deficiency and produce some viable eggs. 12 days later (7 days after starting to feed Reef Munchies) they laid another clutch that appeared immediately to be nice and healthy. The first clutch was gone the next day and I'm pretty sure in the video I posted of it you could see the parents eating the eggs. With this new clutch, the eggs were there this morning :) I still see the male snapping up an egg here and there but they haven't eaten all of them. I'm hoping some of these eggs with mature. Enjoy my video!

Video

http://alphacorals.wistia.com/m/VA22Wp

9-8-11-NinjaLayingEggs1.jpg

9-8-11-NinjaLayingEggs2.jpg

9-8-11-NinjaLayingEggs3.jpg

:)

Alpha Aquaculture
HOLY MOTHER OF BABY JESUS! That's alot of acans!

Lol! Thanks Will ;)

Congrats on the eggs.

I don't know so much of it being the reef munchies but experience will also do that

Thanks Rich! I think the Reef Munchies helped a lot. There are a lot of vitamins in there as well as seafood items. We were basically feeding pellets and brine shrimp with additives before. Not the most healthy well rounded mix. I read that eggs looking like my first clutch meant nutrient deficiency. They didn't look healthy compared to these ones. In that week of feeding the Reef Munchies I know those clowns ate a ton of the stuff :) Can't wait to see what happens I wish I wasn't going on vacation tomorrow!

Thanks! The clowns ate the eggs while I was gone on the 4th night. I'm hoping next time they get it right :)

dude welcome to the nightmare on eating eggs street!!! wth going on with all of our clowns??????

Alpha Aquaculture
dude welcome to the nightmare on eating eggs street!!! wth going on with all of our clowns??????

I think it was their way of saying, "Keep away from my eggs or I will destroy them" I took some pics one of those nights with a flashlight and I'm pretty sure I could count how many eggs they ate between pictures. They were just gobbling them down so fast they would have been gone long before that incident if they were eating at that pace all the time. They had to be mad at me because I was up in their business with the flashlight. I'll upload those pics soon, they came out awesome... but I did pay the price lol

I think it was their way of saying, "Keep away from my eggs or I will destroy them" I took some pics one of those nights with a flashlight and I'm pretty sure I could count how many eggs they ate between pictures. They were just gobbling them down so fast they would have been gone long before that incident if they were eating at that pace all the time. They had to be mad at me because I was up in their business with the flashlight. I'll upload those pics soon, they came out awesome... but I did pay the price lol
how nice would it be if they didn't eat the eggs.. i ask myself that every night before i go to bed!!! lol

Archived