inTank Media Baskets

a Wisconsin Reef... my experiences in aquaculture

Alpha Aquaculture

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alpha Aquaculture
Check out one of our tanks that only uses one small maxijet. Its in a window that gets direct sunlight and doesn't use any extra lighting but he sun. The phytoplankton came in after the cyano subsided, in total we battled the cyano for 3 months. I like the phytoplankton better than the cyano but its hard to see the baby clowns we raise in there. I feel like the water is also much cleaner with the phyto growing naturally to take the nutrients out. I also think the babies might be less aggressive toward one another if they can't see or chase each other as easily. This is the first try with babies that are 3-4 weeks old when they went in. Because I can't see anything I'm just gonna give it a few months and hope.

10-19-2011-044.jpg

10-19-2011-043.jpg

10-19-2011-049.jpg

Snapped a few updated pics of the tank. The concentration just keeps getting darker and darker.

11-17-2011-021.jpg

11-17-2011-023.jpg

11-17-2011-022.jpg

So much glare from the sun that its hard to see that you can't see in lol but its pretty dark really.

Yup just started!!! Gotta get more pics up! and video!

Very exciting. I'm a new member here, but not new to the hobby lol. I love your thread! :D

Alpha Aquaculture
Very exciting. I'm a new member here, but not new to the hobby lol. I love your thread! :D

Thanks! I'm a relatively new member here too. Lots of great people here. Not just in the sense that they are good people, they are. But great people. I think the people on this forum will seriously help the aquaculture and breeding communities in so many ways in the future. And the community is growing! I'm trying to contribute my part in this thread.

Uploading the video of them laying tonight!!!...

We are only knee deep!!!!

11-21-2011-040.jpg

who did you get the tanks from? or was it your local guy again?

and are they for the clowns, or something new? (or are you just going to roll up that front door and open shop to the public?

Alpha Aquaculture
man thats not good,, hopefully they do better next clutch!!! sent you a pm also kris!!!

Im not too worried about these two they will get it at least they are laying again.

They are new at spawning. That is fine

At least you have eggs.

My first few spawns were like 15-20 eggs and now there pushing 300

I can't wait I know they will be producing a ton of eggs soon!

Just follow what I told you and they will be pushing 500 in no time. When in doubt just feed them more

You know its gonna happen right after my friend from NY moves out here to help with the breeding :)

Alpha Aquaculture
who did you get the tanks from? or was it your local guy again?

and are they for the clowns, or something new? (or are you just going to roll up that front door and open shop to the public?

All my tanks are from glasscages.com :) They are for clowns but I might have some other types of fish in there also. My doors are always open :) Thats figuratively speaking of course damn Wisconsin winters lol

Any updates on the eggs

Here's a hint... what set of eggs ;)

Alpha Aquaculture

My Onyx are now laying!!! Don't know when these were laid but there are two very dark looking eggs there now and this male doesn't look like he's eating them. I believe this is their first clutch!!!

11-27-2011-009.jpg

11-27-2011-010.jpg

11-27-2011-011.jpg

My secret to getting the b&w last week to begin spawning again after a 2 month stop and now these clowns laying their first clutch... I stopped doing water changes or cleaning the tanks except for protein skimmers! We have been majorly slacking with feedings, some days only one small feeding but still they lay!!!

nice kris, i miss my female onyx,,,,i want her back,,,i need to stop selling all these pairs cause there all breeding now.lol sent you a text of my onyx!!

Maybe they're less stressed due to less frequent cleaning, which is helping them lay. My clowns hate it when I put my hand in the tank or scrape the glass.

Alpha Aquaculture
From the color about 3-4 days ago. No silver which usually starts at day 5

Thats exactly what I needed to hear! I'm confident that this male will not eat these eggs so I decided to try these two eggs as my first hatch. And to answer your question about the b&w eggs, they were all eaten lol. I might swap out that male egg eater with a nice snowflake and try for some Black Ice :) I'll prob give them a few more tries first tho.

nice kris, i miss my female onyx,,,,i want her back,,,i need to stop selling all these pairs cause there all breeding now.lol sent you a text of my onyx!!

Thanks! Hahahaha you gotta hold out bro! I've gotta see what these babies look like. Also, I'm thinking about swapping her male out with another better male with more black and white. First, gotta see what the babies look like. Never got your text...

Maybe they're less stressed due to less frequent cleaning, which is helping them lay. My clowns hate it when I put my hand in the tank or scrape the glass.

I totally agree with you. Its not just the hands in and cleaning part of it (my b&w will eat eggs if you stare too long lol). A big part of our problem was water chemistry fluctuations. We didn't plan it but by stopping water changes/siphoning, cutting back on feedings and putting more emphasis on salinity corrections we were able to create a better environment for the clowns.

Alpha Aquaculture
Looks sweet dude!

I would hate to see the overhead costs on this...

Yea its pretty crazy. I went for my dream and I'm not turning my back on it until I'm broke with no options. I'm trying so hard to make this work.

Thank you btw :)

Archived