2it24ph.jpg

Euphyllia's Whimsical Wonder

24vs0ef.jpg

Like 'em? :D

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So pretty! :wub: I love the birdnests

Peehee, the birdsnests are just starting to gain color from the new light. They's my favorite too. :D

ya those came out good

NEVER search Orgasm zoa/paly on Google Images without safe search. :blink:

I can only imagine!! :blink:

Enjoyed your pics, very nice selection of colored sticks! ;)

I can only imagine!! :blink:

Enjoyed your pics, very nice selection of colored sticks! ;)

Thanks! :happy:

"...colored sticks" teehee. :P

Today I came back from an overnight camping trip, which was quite scary by the way. It was private property and the closest neighbors were 15 minutes away, and there are logs in the road that you have to move. Sticks are constantly falling out of trees which gives the illusion that bears are present, and the people I was camping with left CHICKEN in a container on the table 15 feet from my tent. At least there was cell service...

Anywho, I came home to find my SPS kinda closed. Just the birdsnests. The acros were extended huge and looks happier than ever, and the montis didn't look unusual. The purple bird is tarting to whiten near the base. This may be because I added the cheato and it's sucking nitrates out too quickly, or it may be because there are too many nitrates/phosphates/etc even with more often than weekly water changes. I've cut WAAAAY back on feedings, but I had to break down and feed food soaked in just garlic and selcon because my male pica was bloated and listless, but he's better now and swimming around with his gofo.

I went to the LFS tonight to get 20g or RO and bought two frags. They came out of somebody's frag tank, which the store bought. They plugs the two frags were on had 5 different kinda of invasive alga, so I broke the frags off the plug and they will rest on the sand tonight until I get some Loctite at the hardware store tomorrow morning. I'm going to hack at the bases to get any algae off, because I don't want to have 1mm extra of coral and a tank full of algae rather than tiny frags and a clean tank. Smaller is better because my tank is full, but I'm a shopaholic and I'm too lazy to set up another tank.

Both of the frags are milles me thinx. One is baby blue, the other is lime green.

2k39u9.jpg

143es6b.jpg

The second one looks similar to my tri-color tort, polyp tube structure wise of course, but the smaller polyp tubes at the top look milleporaish. I does not knows, so I'll wait and see the growth pattern.

And I don't see any algae growing on the sand or glass. Maybe the chaeto is keeping it under control.

EDIT:... I kinda broke the green one by cutting the algae off with scissors, so now I have double the awesomeness... :mellow:

I would say the acros would be more "chaeto-param-lowering" sensitive than birds' .....????

I KNOW RIGHT? They're weird! Birdsnests give me WAAAY more problems than the acros. The acros have actually colored up while I was gone. Maybe the birdies are just growing so thick that they aren't getting enough light near the bottom, or maybe birds are just higher-light SPS than acros. They P me O when they are retracted. The acros right next to them are like "WOOO hagin' loose with the polyps!!!"2vv6x05.jpg

maybe something likes crawling on your birdies? how long are they out of water?

LEWLZ 2vv6x05.jpg Hai Squared!!

The ones giving me the most problems are the ones that have never touched air. The purple birds are half way down the tank. The ORA BOP is doing fine, my BOP var. is doing fine, but the others aren't. The silver one has STN or just light-deprived areas on the very bottom. The whole base is dead, and it has been like that for a while. Some of the bottom branches are starting to die because of light deprivation I'm guessing. The under branches on the extra fluffy dark green birdy next to it are bleached due to light-deprivation too. It grows so thick and the polyps are so huge that it has to block out lots of light, but those bottom branches still have polyps that are feeding.

Almost finished the acclimation process. Will scrape the bottoms and sides again and give them each a one way ticket on the dip ship. :P

Birds are weeds I wouldn't stress it....

I had issues with monti caps, but acros thrive lol

Odd. Birdsnests are sensitive IMO, but never heard of problems with montis. Maybe monti pests?

2vv6x05.jpg<---eww

then i don't really think i can help you with your birdies -_-

i don't know why your birdies are dead at the base i have a nice 3" x 1.5" pink bird mini colony, branches buched together very tightly, and base is still alive...

2vv6x05.jpg<---eww

then i don't really think i can help you with your birdies -_-

You don't like my inventions? o6ekwn.jpg

DEAL WITH THEM. I LIKE THEM. 28buvzm.jpg

2vv6x05.jpg

nooo mooooooore

It's okay, Squared! They're just hybrids like ORA's new "Mystery Clowns". They aren't useless, because one person uses them. :)

While we're on the topic of war...

My digi grew onto my spongodes. The digi whitened the skin of the spongodes, but one of the polyps towards the bottom of the patch is back out. It looks like it will recover, but I wish I had intervened earlier.

2hgr1oz.jpg

My danaes are about to touch. Fuse or fight?

29xst1u.jpg

I'm not even sure if they are both danaes. The green one has tiny polyps that are more spread out, while the purple one has the same sized polyps but they're growing right next to each other. If they are difdif, then I'll have to start cutting them up. If they are the same... GREEN AND PURPLE AWESOMENESS!!!!!!!!!! 2vv6x05.jpg

Here's a crappy 'shopped picture of what I want it to be like, though it probably won't be like this. o6ekwn.jpg

35cn0aq.jpg

This should be cool if they don't kill each other. 111ngom.jpg

I have actually seen montis do that. There was a thread a while back on RC where someone made like a checkerboard pattern and they grew that way with no problems. So I'd say go for it! Here's a link to that thread with pics:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...9203&page=3

As far as the birdsnest getting lighter at the base, are they near some zoas or palys? I had a problem with a poci and an acro because some yellow polyps were brushing up against them and irritating them. I eventually had to eliminate the yellow polyps. Zoas and palys don't mix well with sps.

I have problems with millis for some reason. Like SFT mentioned, birdsnests grow like weeds for me.

Archived