Cultivated Reef

Zer0's 25G Trimless LED Cube

Zer0

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello.

:)

Looks great man! I love the scape, and we have the same pink zoas. I found out their name is Purple Fissions even thought they are the brightest pink I have ever seen.

Thanks! I love those pink zoas. They look incredible under actinics.

Lol my roommates cat do the same thing and they've broken a few of my blinds lol

Haha yeah those blinds are bent now. :P

Well, the elbow they gave me was 1-3/8". I used a reducer to get it down to 1". Inside diameter of the hose is 1". Shouldn't be a problem. I did the same thing on my last cube build and everything went fine and the flow was fine too. The return chamber in my sump isn't very large either, so if the drain got clogged at all, only about a gallon and a half would be poured back in to the display. Not much. Still, I'm taking in to consideration what you have said and we'll get to see what happens once I leak test the plumbing and run the whole system.

Thanks for the concern and thanks for following along!

Yeah, I plan to put some space between the tank and wall, but not 4 inches unfortunately. I don't have THAT much space in my room, especially in the section that the tank resides. The tank already sticks out quite a bit. :lol:

Did you buy these in a kit or like wholesale?

sorry just getting an idea of what i plan on doing when i get my tank

Did you buy these in a kit or like wholesale?

sorry just getting an idea of what i plan on doing when i get my tank

Did I buy what? What are you talking about? The elbows? Reducers?

Did I buy what? What are you talking about? The elbows? Reducers?

sorry im horrible with forums.

i was asking about the LED's that you purchased.

sorry im horrible with forums.

i was asking about the LED's that you purchased.

Oh yeah lol.

I bought mostly everything in a kit from RapidLED.com. Great place to buy from. Customer service is A+ and their products are as well. I bought the kit that had 12 Cool White Crees, and 13 Royal Blue Crees. It came with everything you needed to setup your fixture except for the heatsink. I had bought the heatsink off of ebay for around 23 dollars.

However, you could check heatsinkusa.com for heatsink, as that might be a quicker route to finding something that you want, but you will be paying more money. Only a few good things ever pop up on ebay and you have to stay vigilant. I started searching for the perfect heatsink for my tank even before I had purchased and started planning my LED build. :P

Also, I recommend you get the dimmable drivers. These LEDs are extremely powerful and you will really need them, unless you want to suspend your light like 2 feet off the water surface lol. My fixture is running at about 70% of full brightness and is 1 foot off the water surface. Pretty crazy.

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

my encrusting montipora looks like poop. Wondering what has happened to it. Looked great first few days. :/ Maybe my tank just sucks for SPS.

Summa #####... I guess I'll move it down then because it is rather high. Thanks dude! It's skin turned white is that makes any difference. Polyps are still green though..

this build is sick!

Hey thanks Blindside! Much appreciated!

Also, Hype! Thanks for that info on the monti dude! I put it on the sandbed yesterday and today it's already looking better! Wow! Talk about speedy recovery lolol.

Also, Hype! Thanks for that info on the monti dude! I put it on the sandbed yesterday and today it's already looking better! Wow! Talk about speedy recovery lolol.

Awesome glad to hear that man.

• 2 weeks later...
So I took out my poopy camera today to take some pictures of the new additions, plus some of the older ones that have really started to look good. This is about as good a picture I can get with this camera, so I hope you enjoy. :)

pb230039.jpg

pb230040.jpg

pb230042.jpg

pb230046.jpg

pb230047.jpg

pb230050.jpg

pb230051.jpg

pb230054.jpg

pb230058.jpg

pb230059.jpg

pb230060.jpg

Here's the Emerald crab, right in the middle of the picture:

pb230064.jpg

And the obligatory crap FTS.

pb230065.jpg

Just in general though, I'm very happy and proud to own this tank and to have it running. It's been +6 months so far and there's many forms of life really taking off. I have many pineapple sponges growing on the back wall as well as in the sump. The sump shows much more micro life though since there's a giant ball of cheato there, and nothing to eat the smaller organisms. Coralline and regular algae have been spreading nicely and give more color to my rocks then what my camera can capture. They aren't white anymore, but more of a goldish color, with green and purple/pink mixed in here and there. Still a while to go before my rocks are nice and purple, but I'm not complaining.

These Cree LED's that I have are amazing, and they give my coral colors I was never able to experience with T5's or my old Halide. Being able to see the coral under all Royal Blues is pretty incredible as well; the colors are just astounding. I also get minimal algae growth on the glass, just a decent dusting of film algae which is easily removed by the Mag-Float.

As far as this tanks future, I would really like to get another fish that stays swimming.. like an Anthias, or maybe some smaller Cardinals or Juvenile Blue Chromis. I'm not really sure though, as I do not own a quarantine tank, and so the risk of ich being introduced is much greater for me. For now though, my clowns bring me much happiness. They eat right out of my hands and it's pretty fun.

I definitely will be getting more coral no though, mainly zoanthids and some SPS. There will be ricordea thrown in there, a duncan and a blasto, and one acan frag. After I've acquired those things listed, I will probably just let the tank sit and just grow out and see what happens and see how the tank turns out.

Sorry the tank looks so sparse right now though, for a while I wasn't adding anything because If I had lost power, I would have had more deaths.

'tis all for now ladies and gentlemen. Have a good one!

Tis' looking good, brother!

P.S. I'm back!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Nice rock scape. That is pretty sick.

Thank you very much!

What did you mount the heatsink for the leds on? Diy you do leds on an aluminum plate with heatsinks on top?

Nope. I just lurked on ebay for a week or so looking for the right heatsink to pop up and I jumped on it. Not sure what type of a heatsink it is exactly but it's great.

Awesome scape!

Thanks bud!

Zeroooooo updates lately?

Today! :P

Our tanks are the same age....how cute. hhaha

Good to see your still going strong!

Haha yeah dude, I remember we were posting on each others' threads a while back when we were both just starting them up. Glad yours is still up and running too! Looking much better then mine though.. :P

Anyways, It certainly has been a little while since I posted an update so I figured I would put up some pictures since I am very happy with the tank. The sand looks pretty poopy because basically none of my 4 hermit crabs want anything to do with the sandbed so I have to get a new CUC order. Doing that probably today or tomorrow. Even so, I really love the way my tank looks, I couldn't be happier, and all FIVE of my pieces of coral are starting to grow in... slowly.. :P

Also, the LEDs are still going strong and they are quite amazing. The colors are still incredible.

Pix:

img0624lu.jpg

img0625sn.jpg

img0626jy.jpg

img0627x.jpg

Since I got it, the frogspawn has grown one other mouth/head lol. That's about it:

img0629ip.jpg

Maxi hasn't really grown. Not complaining though, it looks really pretty up close in person. I love feeding it lol:

img0630t.jpg

<3 my green plate:

img0631ud.jpg

img0632n.jpg

img0633kt.jpg

img0634fc.jpg

img0637nb.jpg

Here is a baby brittle star I see every once ina while. Usually just chillin out in the open surprisingly:

img0639ng.jpg

Here is that clump of algae I decided not to remove that you can see in some of the other pictures. It hasn't spread at all in the 2 months it has been in that exact same spot. There are actually a ton of things that live in there. Decided not to destroy it lol:

img0640wmy.jpg

You guys think I should clean this powerhead? lol. It's getting das boot soon though anyways... It is being replaced by a Koralia 1 or 2. Haven't decided yet.

img0643km.jpg

I'll try and get a video of my clownfish later. They're near impossible to take pictures of with my iPhone and that's the only camera I have.

Hope you guys enjoy for now. :)

Awesome update zero your tank is looking great. Still one of the sickest scapes ive ever seen...

Hey thanks dude, much appreciated! :)

Archived