Top Shelf Aquatics

mods can close this

DK_Reef

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah there are a ton of laws that would work but they don't care about us in general. Hawaii overall has a major disadvantage when it comers to keeping a reef.

you need to update your tank thread :-D

Going to look nice :]

thanks!

you need to update your tank thread :-D

thanks!

you coudl do macro and zoas. i know of a few good spots for some nice RPEs and crap

hey thanks feel free to PM whereabouts, yes I plan to have some cool zoas B)

Well today the water was still cloudy so I added some carbon and filter floss in and the water is now clearing slowly (still cloudy not crystal clear yet), polishing the water. :happy:

hopefully tomorrow it will be ready for LR

hey thanks feel free to PM whereabouts, yes I plan to have some cool zoas B)

Well today the water was still cloudy so I added some carbon and filter floss in and the water is now clearing slowly (still cloudy not crystal clear yet), polishing the water. :happy:

hopefully tomorrow it will be ready for LR

Took a while for mine to clear up too. Following along!

Took a while for mine to clear up too. Following along!

thanks! this morning it is looking crystal clear, soon I am going to take all the base readings like pH, salinity, temp etc, and if everything is good then I can go get some LR!!!!

Test for today:

Salinity: 1.025-1.026 hard to tell with hydrometer inbetween this, do I need to lower or is it good to go?

pH: 8.2-8.4 first time with API, but yes definitely within that range.

Yay LR soon :)

Salinity is fine.

So I know your limited on your livestock because you're in Hawaii, but what are your plans for this tank?

It'd be super cool if you went full NPS since you said you could get those types in.

Yay LR soon :)

Salinity is fine.

So I know your limited on your livestock because you're in Hawaii, but what are your plans for this tank?

It'd be super cool if you went full NPS since you said you could get those types in.

Hey thanks yes LR today most likely omgomgomg cherry picking time :D

Plans = :ninja:

well I bought 15lbs of Molokai LR today, pics tomorrow.

my first aquascape is a fail. -_-

I have one large arch like piece, a bowl like piece and a flat piece. I think I might break them apart because they are huge

well I bought 15lbs of Molokai LR today, pics tomorrow.

my first aquascape is a fail. -_-

I have one large arch like piece, a bowl like piece and a flat piece. I think I might break them apart because they are huge

Don't worry, I failed the first time too! The big pieces are soooo tempting but just don't fit well. I broke pieces off my largest rock to compliment the rest. Figure I'll have plenty of frag rocks for the foreseeable future :D.

Post some pics!

Don't worry, I failed the first time too! The big pieces are soooo tempting but just don't fit well. I broke pieces off my largest rock to compliment the rest. Figure I'll have plenty of frag rocks for the foreseeable future :D.

Post some pics!

Thanks! I will post some pics soon today.

I am learning new things as I go along and after 6 months + of research I thought I had read it all and had the best plans ever lol, however some new things I learned,total noob mistakes I admit.

1. NEVER add substrate first

2. NEVER attempt to mix salt w/substrate in tank

3. NEVER use sugar fine sand

Now I know the proper way was to add water, mix salt, let stabilize, siphon out water, add LR, then add substrate. :slap:

it also helps to have a pump/hose handy otherwise water gets everywhere (which it did btw)

also I am starting to hate this small sand it is getting blown everywhere by just the return nozzle, I have it in a neutral position, I haven't even added in the Koraila yet.

I think I will have to get some dry rock from reefcleaners about 15 lbs

any suggestions? their is a huge sand dune on the right side and the left side is bare bottom almost, the LR is dusted now.

oh yes the LFS tossed in three free dwarf zebra hermit crabs, still alive today!

now for some questions for the cycle

- do I need to add the protien skimmer in yet?

- do I need to put any filter floss or carbon in yet?

right now it is just the pump on for circulation

any help much appreciated :)

Yeah when I saw the sand I thought that might happen. The rock should help with that. Point the return toward the top of the water. I tried taking the little nozzle off for more flow and the same thing happened.

I never make water in the tank. I got an 18g tub from target. Use pump and heater to match tank temp and let it sit overnight to stabilize Ph. Also, if your going to dose anything you should add directly to tank and not to wc water.

I don't think your supposed to skim until after the cycle. Could be wrong.

Also, I think the sand looks cool all messed up. Looks natural.

Builder Anthony

If you got that sand from petco you mind as well just throw it out.I had some and used it in a water change jar that i keep bad critters in and it would turn black rather quickly.Form what ive read about there sand is that it may not even be sand but a silica.

Thanks! I will post some pics soon today.

I am learning new things as I go along and after 6 months + of research I thought I had read it all and had the best plans ever lol, however some new things I learned,total noob mistakes I admit.

1. NEVER add substrate first

2. NEVER attempt to mix salt w/substrate in tank

3. NEVER use sugar fine sand

Now I know the proper way was to add water, mix salt, let stabilize, siphon out water, add LR, then add substrate. :slap:

it also helps to have a pump/hose handy otherwise water gets everywhere (which it did btw)

also I am starting to hate this small sand it is getting blown everywhere by just the return nozzle, I have it in a neutral position, I haven't even added in the Koraila yet.

I think I will have to get some dry rock from reefcleaners about 15 lbs

any suggestions? their is a huge sand dune on the right side and the left side is bare bottom almost, the LR is dusted now.

oh yes the LFS tossed in three free dwarf zebra hermit crabs, still alive today!

now for some questions for the cycle

- do I need to add the protien skimmer in yet?

- do I need to put any filter floss or carbon in yet?

right now it is just the pump on for circulation

any help much appreciated :)

Hahaha! I learned the same things pretty much though I did mix the water up outside the tank. Be patient and the sand will settle. The tiny pieces just have to get filtered out first. Rock will definitely help with the sand dunes. Spread some rubble rock around. You can attach frags to them later. Make sure your rock is resting on the glass bottom too so now burrowing critters cause a rock slide down the road.

Don't skim.

Definitely use filter floss now to filter out the super fine sand. Don't use carbon yet. I didn't use any chemical filtration until after I got an algae bloom.

As someone else said point the return nozzle at the surface. Will help with aeration too.

Yeah when I saw the sand I thought that might happen. The rock should help with that. Point the return toward the top of the water. I tried taking the little nozzle off for more flow and the same thing happened.

I never make water in the tank. I got an 18g tub from target. Use pump and heater to match tank temp and let it sit overnight to stabilize Ph. Also, if your going to dose anything you should add directly to tank and not to wc water.

I don't think your supposed to skim until after the cycle. Could be wrong.

Also, I think the sand looks cool all messed up. Looks natural.

thanks for the tips! nozzle will be pointed up.

If you got that sand from petco you mind as well just throw it out.I had some and used it in a water change jar that i keep bad critters in and it would turn black rather quickly.Form what ive read about there sand is that it may not even be sand but a silica.

yes I got it at PETCO the website here if you scroll I think my sand is Marine White Sand #0. apparently it is from the ocean like advertised on the bag I hope :huh:

Hahaha! I learned the same things pretty much though I did mix the water up outside the tank. Be patient and the sand will settle. The tiny pieces just have to get filtered out first. Rock will definitely help with the sand dunes. Spread some rubble rock around. You can attach frags to them later. Make sure your rock is resting on the glass bottom too so now burrowing critters cause a rock slide down the road.

Don't skim.

Definitely use filter floss now to filter out the super fine sand. Don't use carbon yet. I didn't use any chemical filtration until after I got an algae bloom.

As someone else said point the return nozzle at the surface. Will help with aeration too.

hey thanks for the tips and answers. yes tomorrow when I break the LR up I will get that rubble mixed up nicely, the current pieces are monolithic :lol:

gotcha on skimming, and carbon

for the floss can I use the sponge the BC came with? I don't have any poly filter handy haven't seen it at any LFS :(

well if any of you can spot the macro algae? (on the very large LR in the back of the tank top)

I think I have identified it as Amansia glomerata

thanks for the tips! nozzle will be pointed up.

yes I got it at PETCO the website here if you scroll I think my sand is Marine White Sand #0. apparently it is from the ocean like advertised on the bag I hope :huh:

hey thanks for the tips and answers. yes tomorrow when I break the LR up I will get that rubble mixed up nicely, the current pieces are monolithic :lol:

gotcha on skimming, and carbon

for the floss can I use the sponge the BC came with? I don't have any poly filter handy haven't seen it at any LFS :(

Run down to wally world, or some sort of craft store, and get pillow stuffing. Just get the plain jane kind, no scents or bacteria control etc.... It's cheap and lasts a long time.

Which Island? I know Kauai and Oahu have walmarts.

Oahu, thanks!

well I spotted some hitchhikers on a piece of LR, 3 very tiny crabs. I suspect they are some species of Xanthid crabs, very hard to get a picture of, but I will try. I have a feeling probably not reef safe, they are very small and probably close to impossible to catch right now, suggestions?

one funny thing, it was by a hermit crab, which was at least 4 times its size, and I was like oh good maybe the hermit crab will kill it, the crab approached and the hermit hid in his shell, the tiny crab then grabbed and pushed the hermit off the rock where he landed on the sand and hasn't righted himself yet lol, lol

Builder Anthony

Ya that silica sand is no good man.Youll see how it turns out.I think the lack of oxyegen in the sandbed makes it turn sour rather quickly.When you start to see black id suggest taking it out and smelling it.It will smell like rotten eggs and well thats not good as you can imagine.

I almost caught one of those crabs yesterday <_<

I hope

1. they find and kill eachother

2. the hermit crabs kill them

3. the nitrogen cycle kills them :P

Nice! That sand looks fantastic, but it will blow everywhere with good flow as you can tell :P

Good build so far!

thanks Banjo!

Ya that silica sand is no good man.Youll see how it turns out.I think the lack of oxyegen in the sandbed makes it turn sour rather quickly.When you start to see black id suggest taking it out and smelling it.It will smell like rotten eggs and well thats not good as you can imagine.

yes I am familiar with the anaerobic affect I have seen it before in other tanks due to lack of oxygen like you said, think adding in some larger particles like agronite would help?

yes I am familiar with the anaerobic affect I have seen it before in other tanks due to lack of oxygen like you said, think adding in some larger particles like agronite would help?

If you think it's gonna be a problem just get rid of it now and get something else before you have a bunch of stuff in there and it's a huge PITA. I inherited several issues, but if I could have avoided them by foresight I would have.

Builder Anthony

Ya i would pull it all out and put it in a garden or something.I dont think adding anything would help it.

Archived