ReefCleaners.org

mods can close this

DK_Reef

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Welcome and good luck. Make sure to post some pics

Thank you! I sure will post alot of pics ;)

Nice Ticker Factory, haven't seen the shark. Will have to set one of those fancy things aswell :D

• 2 weeks later...

5-16-2011

My Biocube 29G arrived yesterday!

party.gif

I was pouring over the box, haven't opened it yet though. Can't until I get all the equipment and a permanent place.

I forget my camera though, but pictures soon.

5-16-2011

My Biocube 29G arrived yesterday!

party.gif

I was pouring over the box, haven't opened it yet though. Can't until I get all the equipment and a permanent place.

I forget my camera though, but pictures soon.

Congrats! I just bought a stand for mine yesterday and pick it up tomorrow. I'm only a few pieces away from getting started myself. Guess I should start my build thread in the next week or so. Just waiting on an RODI unit now!

brandolando4

Hey, I went diving today and found some awesome purple gorgs, huge sponges, giant montipora colonies, lots and lots of sun coral, and some wire coral!! Wire coral is really cool!! I Also saw a school of at least 20 eagle rays and a school of porcupine puffers. Saw some purple harlequins and lots of coral banded shrimp!! And a million other cool reef fish!! But there was literally at least 2 arceye hawkfish on every montipora, they were everywhere u could easily catch one of those bad boys and get one!!

Hey, I went diving today and found some awesome purple gorgs, huge sponges, giant montipora colonies, lots and lots of sun coral, and some wire coral!! Wire coral is really cool!! I Also saw a school of at least 20 eagle rays and a school of porcupine puffers. Saw some purple harlequins and lots of coral banded shrimp!! And a million other cool reef fish!! But there was literally at least 2 arceye hawkfish on every montipora, they were everywhere u could easily catch one of those bad boys and get one!!

wow that is awesome dude! B) I really need to get my Scuba certification, I really want to check out the reefs in person too someday :lol:

• 1 month later...
brandolando4

I was diving right out of Waianea harbor!! I went spear fishing a couple weekends ago on this big long trip down on the northshore with my cousins and I found a bunch of beautiful bright colored sps!! I can't ID them cuause I don't know too much about sps. I always found some pink zoas, and a plethora of orange and brown star poloyps I have a bunch of pictures I took of with my underwater camera but I forgot my chord at college so I can't upload them untill I get back!! I'm sorry;( I spent most of the weekend looking for coral for you, and there was tons of it!! I also caught me a lobster and a bunch of fishes!! Them were delicious!!;)

Anyway, sucks to here about ur tank!! Hopefully by the time ur new tank comes back and is up and cycled you can go collect some coral before the monster waves come!!

Great news today, my new BC 29 is currently in-transit on time, expected delivery the 12th! :happy:

New Equipment I picked up:

x3 10lbs bag of Reef Grade Sand (30lbs total)

x2 Kent Marine Phytoplex

x2 Kent Marine Zooplex

x1 Kent Marine Reef Vitamin/Minerals

x1 Digital Thermometer

My new BC 29 came yesterday and upon opening I was pleased to see that Fedex didn't break it.

party.gif

I set up everything, gutted the back, literally. Here is what came out:

-alot of bioballs

-sponge

- filter cartridge

- two false floors in chamber two

I don't understand why I need to remove the floor in chamber one though?

I tested out the lighting and it was awesome, I love the actinic and Moon Glo LEDs.

Also I ordered some more stuff from PETCO.com, can't beat free shipping to Hawaii.

- 160 gallon Instant Ocean Sea Salt Mix (bucket)

- 2 five gallon buckets

- magfloat small model

- API Test kit

- Hydrometer

Yeah I know the hydrometer is average but it will work for now until I can get my refractometer.

Some equipment I still need to order by the end of cycle is the skimmer, powerhead, refractometer, media basket and other goodies.

the salt and other stuff should be here sometime next week. Then water!

well Fedex didn't deliver the two packages I was expecting today, I saw the truck drive in and out and didn't stop probably got the number wrong, has happened before. I am busy tomorrow and today was perfect. <_<

well Fedex came at 7PM yesterday or so lol. Here is what I got:

160 gallon bucket of Instant Ocean Salt Mix (very heavy)

API Saltwater Master Test Kit

Still waiting on the buckets and hydrometer before I can add water though. -_-

Fedex is now saying the 23rd, originally the 21st. Hopefully it comes ahead of schedule.

Yesterday I rinsed the sand but only 2 bags and not the third by accident and that made the water very cloudy :(

I also added the salt mix which is Instant Ocean. I added about enough salt for 27 gallons I am yet to take any hydrometer readings and I will have to probably adjust which I think I will wait until tomorrow as I think salts are still dissolving as its been only 15 hours.

Temp: steady at 78 Degrees F

are there really no LPS SPS and clams in the waters in Hawaii???

Hello yes there is LPS, SPS NPS in Hawaii it is just illegal to collect or sell it. The only corals I can have are the non reef building ones.

That sucks about the corals. Why is that the law in a tropical area? It seems to me that those corals exist not far from shore... I'm waiting to see what you do with the cube. So many options.

You should frag it from a local reef. ;) it's not wrong if it's for the purpose of promoting the reef environment.

That sucks about the corals. Why is that the law in a tropical area? It seems to me that those corals exist not far from shore... I'm waiting to see what you do with the cube. So many options.

You should frag it from a local reef. ;) it's not wrong if it's for the purpose of promoting the reef environment.

Hello yes I think the law is dumb. I guess they don't want people exploiting the reef. But at least they should allow it to be harvested and fragged sustainability by licensed dealers. Because they aren't educating the public at all, the law makes it a felony to collect/sell/posses reef building corals found in Hawaiian waters. Also some beautiful ones which are Hawaiian endemic and you guys can't enjoy them either. By allowing sustainable harvesting they can increase awareness and educate everyone.

However yes I am excited as well, there are some really nice zoas and other palythoa I can get and they are also I think found only in thier color morphs here. as well as octocoral.

Nice, time to add a bit live rock. Minimalist looking scape? ;)

hehe, yes I currently am waiting for the water to stabilize from adding the salt. I took a reading and it was 1.026 (+-1). I was aiming for 1.023-1.025.

it is SUPER cloudy right now because I just stirred it up to make sure all the salts dissolve.

but yes Molokai LR is next! omgomgomg

Yeah there are a ton of laws that would work but they don't care about us in general. Hawaii overall has a major disadvantage when it comers to keeping a reef.

Archived