inTank Media Baskets

mods can close this

DK_Reef

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
brandolando4

I was unaware the laws were that strict in Hawaii. That sucks, I love my LPS. When I move back I'm going to be really sad. Where abouts Hawaii are you from? I was born and raised in Wailua, and now my dad lives in Ewa, I still visit all the time!

Where do you plan on going collecting??

goodluck on the build, exciting times!

Thank you!

I was unaware the laws were that strict in Hawaii. That sucks, I love my LPS. When I move back I'm going to be really sad. Where abouts Hawaii are you from? I was born and raised in Wailua, and now my dad lives in Ewa, I still visit all the time!

Where do you plan on going collecting??

Yes sadly it is very harsh, I can see why they wouldn't want other coral species because they might get released but as for native they want to protect the reef, however I think some licensed sellers so we can propagate and grow our own corals would help with sustainability. That poses the problem of all the people who could ruin it by just collecting their own however. -_-

as for inverts like clams and scallops I think those should be legal. and also the indo harlequin shrimp

I lived on the Big Island for sometime, I live on Oahu currently though now. Now about collecting, I don't really know since I am new to SW but I asked some reefers on a local fourm I will probably end up going to beaches (for fun) but end up looking for frags :lol:

brandolando4

When I come home this summer I plan on looking around for some on the north shore!! Hopefully I can go look gor good stuff by sharks cove or 3 tables and maybe swim out past the protected area and hopefully find some stuff!! What beaches did the local forums tell you to go to??

Where on Hawaii you live?

The harlequin shrimp isn't legal??

When I come home this summer I plan on looking around for some on the north shore!! Hopefully I can go look gor good stuff by sharks cove or 3 tables and maybe swim out past the protected area and hopefully find some stuff!! What beaches did the local forums tell you to go to??

Where on Hawaii you live?

The harlequin shrimp isn't legal??

Well yes you can get the red/purple/orange morph, but not the blue morph which I prefer. They suggested Sandy Beach tidepools. I live in Honolulu for now.

Biocube was shipped today!! :happydance:

brandolando4

You should put opihi in your tank. I have a couple and they are awesome!!! And one day maybe I can eat them!!!

Also another easy thing to collect would be ha uki uki (shingle urchin)! They are really cool, and they are all over the place!! The taste really good too!!:)

If I find anything where I go diving I let you know!!!

You should put opihi in your tank. I have a couple and they are awesome!!! And one day maybe I can eat them!!!

Also another easy thing to collect would be ha uki uki (shingle urchin)! They are really cool, and they are all over the place!! The taste really good too!!:)

If I find anything where I go diving I let you know!!!

Haha, yes but opihi are dangerous to get and they might die from collection :P Oh yes shingle urchins I know them as helmet urchins, I also wanted to try collector and rock boring urchins!

cool look for rare zoas and PEs and Palythoa, and even rarer Gorgonians and leather corals!

brandolando4

Will do! Look at my thread now its better!!

They are dangerous to get but they are so goooooooood!!

Yes I want many of those too, they are awesome, I just want the right filter feeder food so they don't starve.

Now about a skimmer, I have narrowed down my selection, is there any difference from the Aquatic Life Mini and the Tunze 9002? (besides the price :P )

brandolando4

I've heard the Tunze is better!! But I have no idea!!

You should totally get a brittle star, they are literally every where. Them are good clean up crew, and if you collect one it will save you 20 bucks!! Just flip over rocks in tide pools and you will find a bunch!

yes I love brittle stars, I always used to find them in tidepools on the Big Island, they are awesome.

I am going to collect my clean up crew (snails, hermits) and brittle stars, Johnny at ReefCleaners helped me with species to get when I go looking :happy:

Added BC Badge to Sig.

Undecided on Skimmer, Tunze is German made which is awesome.

brandolando4

LOl, I'm totally jealous. I plan on living through your tank. :)

I want to collect everything for my tank, when I come home!!

How long you lived in Hawaii?? What made you move from the big island?? I used to live there for a little while. I didn't really like it.

Yes but you have LPS :lol:

too bad I can't collect a Blue spotted Jawfish those are awesome. I will have to buy for $100 -_-

Or maybe my wholesaler can get me a super deal for half off or so.

I moved from the Big Island because it was too country for me, but remember to keep the country country! B)

I removed "Deepwater" from the title, I will have to save my Deepwater project for another tank/day. as chillers are expensive and I need a massive tank.

brandolando4

I was just going to ask you how the temps maintain in ur system once you get it started! I plan on taking my bc14 to Hawaii with me and I'm scared about how hot the tank will get!

Those fish are beautiful!! I know there are lots of firefish in Hawaii! Can you collect those?

The big island is TOOOOO country!!!

unsure on temp. I heard it depends on where you live. hopefully no more than 78-80 or else I might have to get a chiller I can get a used one though, hopefully cheap.

firefish I am not sure where to find lol

yes it was some serious country lol

I don't know if you have access to Kaneohe but when I was living there I say all kinds of life and corals in the shallow parts just off the beach on the other side of the air strip. At the time you could also find some nice undisturbed areas just north and south of Lahina as well.

I don't know if you have access to Kaneohe but when I was living there I say all kinds of life and corals in the shallow parts just off the beach on the other side of the air strip. At the time you could also find some nice undisturbed areas just north and south of Lahina as well.

Hello. Thanks I will have to go look there now :happy:

I agree with above statement^^

Try there and let me know!!

Will do, now I am getting excited :lol:

brandolando4

I'm getting excited too, hopefully I can find stuff hike I'm out because I'll be out there right when your tank will hopefully be done cycling!!

I don't think it will even be delivered by then. :lol: I am spending alot of time on possible fish and inverts, I am not sure on what to get anymore. Clowns, Firefish, Goby, Jawfish, Flasher Wrasse, dwarf angel and it goes on and on. I want to try harlequin shrimp because I can collect the starfish for free.

Archived