Top Shelf Aquatics

Jonny's ADA 2 tank reef concept

jonny roks

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sucks to hear about the algae, since you're losing sand, why not just get rid of it all together? That would make it easier to clean and cut down on places detritus would settle and allow to take your flow higher to discourage algae growth in some areas.

The tank still looks awesome regardless. :)

BB tanks only look good when tanks are full of corals! hehe i dont have enough. Anyways, i thought about just removing the sand altogether and replacing it with a different grade of sand but i am not sure if i want the headache.

Long island, hes a naked goby! cool voracious eater

The plant is a Pachira Aquatica (aka money tree!)

Ps the fiddlers constantly try to escape. You need some sort of a top. I have watched the females climbing the tanks seams. Ada's barely have any visible silicone so Id immagine they would escape easily from a normal tank that's loaded with silicone

is the Pachira Aquatica in saltwater or in a pot outside the tank?

is the Pachira Aquatica in saltwater or in a pot outside the tank?

It's in a pot outside the tank, its been relocated because my lights have been burning the leaves. Hes much happier away from the leds.

The best way to get rid of cyano is to reduce feeding, decrease the number of hours of light you give the tank, invest in a skimmer and a reactor, increase flow, and keep up with water changes. Cyano sucks. Also, make sure you're using 0 TDS water.

do the red fiddlers mess with anything?

They haven't been seen bothering anything in my tank and i haven't read anything suggesting they would. I currently only have females left. The population has decreased over time and im not sure why.

Been in the hobby a year now and this is my favorite setup that ive seen. I would vote totm for sure. Top notch scape btw. And i love the idea of some terresterial critters. I would find a way to shade the plant so i could put it back, i think it ties it all together.

• 2 weeks later...

Hows the algae battle coming along? I have the same slimy stuff on the sand. It pisses me off, cause like you I do regular maintenance.

I haven't had any luck, i have been doing tons of water changes.

I'm pretty convinced that there is a ton of nutrient buildup from using the natural seawater. Its nutrient enriched and some locals have had similar experiences.

I don't over feed, i don't skimp on maintenance..

I have like a cm of sand left from siphoning this stuff out. i can't take it anymore. Just when i think its gone - it comes back.

Ive been suggested two options, im going to do a combination...

no lights for 3 days and follow up with a huge water change

or

red slime treatment and follow up with a huge water change.

I'm actually thinking of doing a two day blackout, then going to run a red slime remover this week followed by a large water change. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know

How's your magnesium level? I'm having cyano and I know it's because of low magnesium.

I've order a mag test and dosing solution and red slime remover as well. I'll keep you posted on my battle.

Maybe try mixing your own salt?

How's your magnesium level? I'm having cyano and I know it's because of low magnesium.

I've order a mag test and dosing solution and red slime remover as well. I'll keep you posted on my battle.

Maybe try mixing your own salt?

Never heard of low mag having anything to do with cyano? I found the only way to get rid of it is get as close to ultra low nutrients as you can.

Never heard of low mag having anything to do with cyano? I found the only way to get rid of it is get as close to ultra low nutrients as you can.

I've only found anecdotal evidence on forums (because really, that's 95% of forums. :lol:) but it's enough for me to pursue it. I'm dealing with it right now as well and the tl:dr version is magnesium is my only parameter out of range. So I guess we'll see if it works fingerscrossed

I read recently that if you have undetectable nitrates, phosphates, etc...and you have a bunch of algae, that means that you in fact DO have all those things it's just that the algae is using them to grow and spread. I blacked out the tank for a day, dis a WC and am feeding less. That actually seemed to slow it down but it's still there. So I'll continue with regimented every other day feedings using portion control and see what happens.

Good luck.

I don't remember seeing a Phosphate reading.

I recently battled cyno and diatoms myself. Lots of WC's and GFO = $$$ spent=ouch.

I siphoned out bout 80% of my sand...immediate improvement.

put in a filter sock .... man it caught tons of brown diatoms.

Replaced my MH bulbs (possibly the main cause to begin with)

dosed Peroxide for 10 days (12ml in a 65g+sump)

did a 35g (~50%) WC on day three and day 10 with peroxide spot treatments on the bad sections.

Tank has done a complete180.

I'll add that I have always used RO/DI with a dual inline TDS meter and make my own water.

Anyways, that's my first hand experience.

Since your using natural sea water .... give a UV sterilizer some thought....? Might be your magic bullet.

I actually stopped using the Premade water over a month ago. I am certain that it wasn't helping. I since switched too Red Sea Coral Pro. Anyways, I'm on day two of blackout and plan to do a 50% water change tomorrow. Then I'll wait a day and run some slime remover and follow with an addition large water change

I'm running filter socks, filter floss and cut down my feedings even more. I'll have it under control soon enough. I hope so atleast, the tank is starting to really look great.

Quick VIDEO update of the tank. Cyano is already starting to come back. I plan to use red slime remover tomorrow.

Some of the corals do not look happy but an updates an update!

Let me know what you guys think!

damn it didnt upload in hd? few more months and ill will have some professional photos and videos.

IMG_2386-1.jpg

The money tree has since healed and replanted in a large pot that will not fit behind my tank lol! ... i am planning to add a new one once i head into manhattan. [that an a cactus!]

im also moving in a few months. So far my plan is to extend the stand to 48" and add another cube on the left side of the shallow tank. not sure what i will be doing with it but ill make it work! ill also drill the right cube so i can get rid of that god awful elbow return lol.

Some of the corals are just fillers, and if you look on the right cube you can see i added some ledges for some future coral additions. I plan to add a nice size dendro later this month under the waterfall.

The video looks nice!

Have you tried any cyano products to help you? In addition to getting my params back in check and reinstating my water changes, I ordered Ultra Life Res Slime Remover, 24 hours after the first dose I saw 60% reduction in cyano. I have high hopes for the next dose tomorrow. :)

Thanks for all the comments,

Its day 2 of the red slime remover and i haven't really seen a great improvement. I'm going to do a 20% water change and run it again, This time i am going to add a stronger air pump, the one i had running was horrible. The company said this will improve the results.

The cyano starts out looking like diatoms, then later transforms into cyano, I was told that this would be caused by silicates.

Funny, it originally was everywhere and now after a 6 weeks of water changes it generally only forms on my sand bed along with a few corals.

Thinking, that my sandbed has trapped a lot of phosphates and/or any other cyano causing nutrients...

what do you guys think about syphoning out and replacing the sand?

Archived