Innovative Marine Aquariums

Jonny's ADA 2 tank reef concept

jonny roks

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do the same with my tank. I take the lid off when I'm home. I've had a number of fish carpet surf in the past and currently my stock list includes some fire fish and a snowflake eel, so a lid is a must.

Updates with a video....

Heres an update on my ADA waterfall build. I am actually embarrassed how dirty everything is but people have been requesting an update and fish tanks do get dirty right???. In the photo you can see all the waterlines [eyesore] and the various types of algae i have been fighting. Cyano, diatoms, and even my cap bleaching... etc... The lights weren't on too long so many of the corals were closed.

It also shows some of my livestock. I would also like to note that Some of the rock in the right tank is out of place because i was trying to clean the side wall. Anyways it isnt the best video but it gives you an idea of how things are growing and coloring up and some of the obstacles i have been facing. At the end it shows my mess of a fuge, I will be making a new stand soon because these deep blue stands make it impossible to work on the sump.

In the next couple of weeks i should be getting a tripod and will be able to get much better videos.

Please note, All corals were donations from friends!

alot of the corals are just temporary for now. need to swap/change a lot of things in the next few months.

Thank you guys,

The sump/plumbing isn't as clean as i would like it. I am really unhappy with my current stand so i kinda put all cleaning/organizing too the side since i set up the tank. I'm probably going to make a custom stand in the upcoming weeks or have someone build me one. Really want to make something taller and user friendly. Its so hard to access the sump with the current stand.

Im going to be swapping out some of the corals this month along with some cool new additions

Things to come

Another MP10

Skimmer

Controller

Corals

Fish!

$$$

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

:D I'm sorry I don't speak english very well, I'm from Brazil!

Let me ask again (and maybe correctly!): is there anything you have to do besides normal aquarium maintenance to keep this plant?

;)

Dear god this is easily the coolest tank I've seen to date.

The clown's looked like they had so much fun in the first video swimming against the current, and now they're like trying to hide around the back in that video :P.

qualitycontrol

what overflow are you using for the sump or have you drilled the tank?

I would love a mame but they are crazy expensive. Still trying to figure out a way to make an overflow out of lily's.

qualitycontrol,

I was thinking about using a nano overflow kit from gl#######s.com and for outflow the nano outflow from GLA.

It's not perfect as it would be with two lily pipes, but I think it would be nice.

Hey guys,

Sorry for the delay in updates, I have been traveling and caught up in life :)

Anyways, the tank is driving me crazy. Cyano and hair algae week after week. I have tried special blend, increased water changes too 20% a week and decreased feedings over a month ago and still having the same issues.

Basically everyweek I need to tooth brush and syphon every part of every rock to remove the hair algae. It comes off rather easy but still a pain even in a small setup since it is covering everywhere. It's not covering corals.

The cyano tends to take over my sand and hard corals. It doesn't bother any soft or Lps. But my caps are taking a big hit.

So now I have just accepted it and will continue weekly maintenance until I move. Then I plan to increase water capacity, add some reactors and  change my lighting. 

Maybe the foam is leaching? Maybe the exposed water is causing problems? Either way its A headache!

For the past 7 years my tanks are spotless lol. This one is the complete opposite. 

The waterfall acts as a turf scrubber in a way and I don't mind it. It's very easy to maintain and isn't ugly at all. Crabs love eating it, wish it would keep the rest of the algae under control. 

I'll post some pictures tonight and tomorrow to show what I'm experiencing. Pretty frustrating.

The plant in the photo is not in the tank! Survives on regular water and sunlight. It's in a pot behind it lol. He had to be moved because the LEDs were burning him lol - he is recovering.

Wow...what a tank!!!!

Awesome job! This is a one in a kind tank!

Wow...what a tank!!!!

Awesome job! This is a one in a kind tank!

This is outstanding. I love to see original ideas like this. Reminds me a bit of the Volcano tank but on a different scale. Congrats on a very cool tank!

Whoa. That's something I've never seen before. Awesome tank. I like the plant in the back... looks like a tidepool on a tropical island! Hope it recovers lol

Update 01/28/2012

So here are some photos showing some of the various algae. Week by week this stuff returns, I continuously toothbrush and siphon out everything. It just keeps coming back. Its upsetting because i am always on top of my maintenance.

i clean it when i have time, but day by day im decreasing the amount of sand i have.

what to do? definitely need to add a skimmer and a reactor because i have tried just about everything else.

It comes off so easy.

fts-1.jpg

shallow.jpg

shallow2.jpg

cyanoalgae.jpg

cyanoalgae2.jpg

49f993c9.jpg

crab1.jpg

crab2.jpg

0e0bc89f.jpg

the algae makes me cringe!

Archived