SaltCritters.com

Jonny's ADA 2 tank reef concept

jonny roks

Hey jonny what are your current phosphate and nitrates? Removing your sandbed is only going to stir up excess nutrients which will only make things worse IMO. I have a feeling your rocks are leeching phosphates and if so you might want to invest in running a GFO reactor to hep bring your levels down.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Builder Anthony

ok heres what i am thinking.....lizzard mist fog machine to make a mist over the tank and......drumroll.......strobe light for lightning.im not sur how you would get the strobe light to fire at random times........maybe a button or something.this would look like a thunderstorm with the lights off

ok heres what i am thinking.....lizzard mist fog machine to make a mist over the tank and......drumroll.......strobe light for lightning.im not sur how you would get the strobe light to fire at random times........maybe a button or something.this would look like a thunderstorm with the lights off

Lmao, are you nuts? For you I will acquire this "lizard mist fog machine" that you speak of and create a video in the near future

Hey jonny what are your current phosphate and nitrates? Removing your sandbed is only going to stir up excess nutrients which will only make things worse IMO. I have a feeling your rocks are leeching phosphates and if so you might want to invest in running a GFO reactor to hep bring your levels down.

^ Agreed what are your parameters? might give you a clue where to start. Removing the sand would either may start a nutrient release (depending on how much it has been stired up in the past) or it be a temp solution since after the new sand is added the cause of the problem was never resolved from the start. find the source of cyno will be better in the long run.

initial_reefer
All tanks need a cover, but how do you make one for my tank?

3/16" Clear Acrylic Rods

Weld on 3

Mesh [thanks jay]

Zip Ties [lmao like 200]

And a lot of planning/measurements

heres what i came up with. Its not finished yet. i currently used zip ties but i plan to glue glue the mesh on or use fishing line because they are ruining the look.

450.jpg

448.jpg

447.jpg

should add a small bird now that you have a cage :happy:

Lmao, the cover is hilarious. Me an my girl joke all the time about it, but the truth is! No fish have died from surfing and no crabs have escaped! Lol it's still a prototype and I'm actually working on a newer lower profile top.

My phosphates were tested three times with a Hanna and they averaged at around .40 ( :( )

Currently running GFO and actually finished removing the shallow sides sand bed, this upcoming week I'll remove the cubes over a series of water changes.

Phosphates have dropped but I need to get them to an acceptable level.

Everything still looks great and I have a lot of plans for this tank in the future.

I'm praying that the foam/rock formations aren't leeching these silicate/phosphate into my tank. Doing a series of tests now. When I built this tank, I followed manufacturers opinions and allowed everything to cure appropriately so I don't know what exactly went wrong.

Thanks for all the comments guy/girls. Glad to hear you enjoy my tank because I know recently I haven't. Hopefully this phosphate/silicate issue disappears. In a few weeks I'll start to really capture the tank and it's livestock with a better camera. Promise.

We need way more pictures than you're giving us :angry:

LOL :D

The tank looks like a tornado hit it Lol. Give me a few weeks. Once the phosphates drop and I add new sand I'll gladly tank tons of photos.

Don't think I could stay bare bottom with this build.

Sorry to hear about all the problems you are having. At least it sounds like the GFO is working! Regardless of your problems, the tank looks amazing. I am a huge fan of this design concept and your implementation of the design. Keep at it and it will get better!

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update,

Phosphates are @ around .10, Have been exhausting my GFO weekly. Every single coral in the tank is THRIVING except for one of my Frogspawns. Its a mystery but he wont open up to its maximum anymore.

Cyano - None, Haven't seen a trace in around 3 weeks.

Diatoms - Very Little Diatoms, i turkey baste the rocks daily so im sure its not giving it a chance to form.

Green Hair Algae - Where isnt it? its really taken off in the past few weeks. its very brittle and can be removed with a tooth brush with no effort. but truthfully im not going to continue brushing it everyday since i'm not sure if that's the reason it has gotten worse.

Aptasia - All of a sudden i have around 10+ in random spots. no clue where i got this from.

Bubble Algae - found a small patch of 3/4, uh!

A lot of my local reefer friends are battling these same problems. We tried to see what we had in common and the only thing is our water. We all live very close in new york -

could it be our water?

could it be from the nutrisea water?

could it be from dry rock ? marco/BRS rock?

myself and my close friend danielle [picod] have been battling the exact same problems for the past month. I get my rodi from her [which is from a brand new system - reading 0tds] and we both used the nutrisea water and both started our tanks with dry rock.

I still have nuisance algae but im just going to keep my head up and fight it. I am definitely heading in the right direction and hopefully within a month or two everything will be back to normal. !

i lowered my lights 3 inches. i felt like they have needed to be lowered for the longest time. Currently in the process of designing a new stand that will allow me to run a large refugium. I've also added Another Mp10, the shallow needed it.

The tank is running near bare bottom. There is probably only about 15% of the original sand left since i started siphoning during my weekly water changes.

DSC02201.jpg

Video update to follow.

Archived